E350 10ft Box Van

b. rock

For those wondering, I did some quick back of the napkin math. These boxes have about the same rear overhang as the RB (assuming ~122-124" total length of box portion (I figure a couple extra inches to factor in for box width), vs the 122.4 cargo length at the floor of an RB (EB noted at 142.4). Cargo capacity of an RB is 237.8 cu ft, EB 278.3, and a 10' cargo box a whopping 402 cu ft. Even if you add a 24" high top to an EB, rough dimensions would guesstimate another 100 cu ft, getting you closer but not quite there, and with more rear overhang and curved walls to deal with.

Outside of being difficult to find a good example, and the vast majority having V8s (but they do seem to get the 5 spd autos, unlike the vans?), I'm not seeing a reason to go the EB route vs this.

For those wondering, I did some quick back of the napkin math. These boxes have about the same rear overhang as the RB (assuming ~122-124" total length of box portion (I figure a couple extra inches to factor in for box width), vs the 122.4 cargo length at the floor of an RB (EB noted at 142.4). Cargo capacity of an RB is 237.8 cu ft, EB 278.3, and a 10' cargo box a whopping 402 cu ft. Even if you add a 24" high top to an EB, rough dimensions would guesstimate another 100 cu ft, getting you closer but not quite there, and with more rear overhang and curved walls to deal with.

Outside of being difficult to find a good example, and the vast majority having V8s (but they do seem to get the 5 spd autos, unlike the vans?), I'm not seeing a reason to go the EB route vs this.

The cab/chassis v8s do have the 5spd trans, and full float Dana 70 as well,(also no RSC) and had I found a clean/decent one would have picked one up,, I don’t plan on towing and was happy with the 5.4 in our last van, but not happy with the 4r75 trans. A newer box with the 6apd auto and 6.2l v8 would be sweet as well. I like that I didn’t need overhead cabinets for storage and have all the weight low in the box,, feels even larger than it is. So stoked on our setup, can’t wait to break her in. ✌?

b. rock

Chris, why are you holding out on me?? I'll shoot you an email.

The cab/chassis v8s do have the 5spd trans, and full float Dana 70 as well,(also no RSC) and had I found a clean/decent one would have picked one up,, I don’t plan on towing and was happy with the 5.4 in our last van, but not happy with the 4r75 trans. A newer box with the 6apd auto and 6.2l v8 would be sweet as well. I like that I didn’t need overhead cabinets for storage and have all the weight low in the box,, feels even larger than it is. So stoked on our setup, can’t wait to break her in. ✌?

Yeah, 6.2 and 6 speed would be amazing but that's waaaaay out of the budget. Enjoy the rig and post up pics when you can!

What kind of mpg do you think the 6.2 with a box would get??

I am not sure... the first couple of tank fulls with my box, empty and 2wd were 14.2-.8. My first two tank fulls as 4x4 and built out have been 11.2mpg. I was hoping to be able to average 10mpg fully loaded, and feel this is a realistic number. I absolutely love the 6r140 6spd. I would think 11 would be realistic, but these numbers are worked for, if you just throw caution to the wind and let it roll I imagine 9mpg or potentially less with a fully loaded rig.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles

Members online