E rated tires on an Unlimited?

briboki

I'm looking at tires for my 2015 Unlimited.

Right now I run the stock Goodyears (255/75r17) in the winter and I use a set of Rubicon take off's in the non-snowy months. I'm leaning hard towards a set of 255/80's but as we all know there are only two choices: STT Maxx and KM2's both load range E. The appeal of the 255/80's is no need for a lift and no rubbing using stock wheels. My jeep has the 3.73 gears and auto transmission. I wouldn't go any bigger or heavier without re-gearing (and likely upgrading the brakes). The other option on the table is 34x10.50 KO2's but these are significantly more expensive.

I'm not too concerned about winter performance as I run the stockers in the winter. I own 2 sets of stock 17" wheels. I put about 8k a year on the Jeep. I always air down on the trail as I have a home-made co2 / powertank for airing back up. I also disconnect off road. The highway hum of the Rubicon take offs doesn't bother me, neither does the low speed rumble. But they are also load range C. More concerned about on road manners.

So does anyone regret going to a load range E tire on a JKU?

Thanks

chasespeed

Explorer
Running a WJ(can't be much heavier than your JKU) load range E KO2s.

Just optimize you're pressure. I find 32-35psi in my case is perfect. And yes, I have aired them down for wheeling.

Perfect tire? No such thing. Am I happy with them? For a true all around tire, yessir, and I'd be happy to buy another set. And this from the guy that said never again to a BFG AT...(even in the snow it's been great).

Chase

Zeep

Adventurer
I don't have a JKU, but on my LJR, the factory E rated MTR's rode like crap. I managed to go almost 40k, before switching to Cooper Discoverer ST's
255/85/16 D. Man, what a difference. No regrets, except waiting so long.

Tall and skinny is where it's at!!!

dirtlimo

Observer

Right now I run the stock Goodyears (255/75r17) in the winter and I use a set of Rubicon take off's in the non-snowy months. I'm leaning hard towards a set of 255/80's but as we all know there are only two choices: STT Maxx and KM2's both load range E. The appeal of the 255/80's is no need for a lift and no rubbing using stock wheels. My jeep has the 3.73 gears and auto transmission. I wouldn't go any bigger or heavier without re-gearing (and likely upgrading the brakes). The other option on the table is 34x10.50 KO2's but these are significantly more expensive.

I'm not too concerned about winter performance as I run the stockers in the winter. I own 2 sets of stock 17" wheels. I put about 8k a year on the Jeep. I always air down on the trail as I have a home-made co2 / powertank for airing back up. I also disconnect off road. The highway hum of the Rubicon take offs doesn't bother me, neither does the low speed rumble. But they are also load range C. More concerned about on road manners.

Thanks

Running a JKUR now with the Nitto AWT in E, and have run the Toyo MT in E as well. Like was stated, you need to find a tire pressure that works for you. There is no end all tire or tire pressure. I'm sure the ones you are looking at are fine choices, you just need to experiment some to get them to your liking. I also had Nittos in D and I could not really tell a difference when I played with the pressures. Maybe I felt a little more confident with the E's due to the extra plys, but that's about it.

piratenation90

Adventurer

Thanks

I run 315 75 16 KO2's Load range E on my LJ. An E rated tire vs D rated tire on your rig will ride rougher but last longer. I keep my tire PSI lower than recommended so that the jeep rides nice on the highway. If you don't need a mud terrain tire then I would go with the 34 10.50 KO2's. I have them on my expo trailer right now and the D rated rides nice, i know they are more expensive but they will ride smoother.

MOguy

Explorer
Buy the tire based on your needs and its design. An E rated tired is designed to carry heavy loads and may ride harsh and not perform well. I would look for a C rated or maybe a D rated tire for your vehicle and then by a tire designed to do what you want it to do such as a mud tire, all terrain tire, highway tire, etc.

I have known a couple people have had E rated MTRs on their Wranglers and Tacoma and very disappointed with how they road and performed while at the same time I had the same tire but C rated (on my wrangler) and the ride and performance was very different.

That may not be true of all tires but it was true in our situations. The one with the Tacoma now runs a Cooper Discovery D rated tire and is very pleased with them.

SilicaRich

Wandering Inverted
I would ditch the Rubicon takeoff tires (BFG KMs). Unless you were to get them siped, their road manners are absolutely awful. Mine scared me half to death anytime I was driving in any sort of wet road conditions. I would get the ST Maxxs, just got a set mounted on my Jeep in the 255/75R17 size to replace my BFG KMs. I've put about 1000 miles on them and love them to death already and wet roads don't scare me anymore.

I would go ahead and go with the 255/80 size, I think Tread Depot had the ST Maxxs in that size listed around $180-$190 a piece which is a heck of a lot cheaper than 34"x10.5" KO2s. You can expect them to be around 7 pounds or so heavier than the BFG KMs you currently have so nothing too outrageous in the weight department. Just play around with the psi to find that sweet spot that works best for you.

CCH

Adventurer
I'm weighing the pros and cons of going from the 255/75 ST Maxx to the 255/80. I have a similar rig, but with a 2.5" AEV lift. The 255/75/17s have been great, and I highly recommend them. I have zero complaints. Now that they are in need of replacing, I'm torn about moving up. The actual gain in clearance is not huge, but 33s just "seem" right for the rig. In my case, I already have the spare if I stay with the 255/75s, making it an even tougher choice money wise. If you go 255/80, please report back. Would like to hear your results.

briboki

I run 315 75 16 KO2's Load range E on my LJ. An E rated tire vs D rated tire on your rig will ride rougher but last longer. I keep my tire PSI lower than recommended so that the jeep rides nice on the highway. If you don't need a mud terrain tire then I would go with the 34 10.50 KO2's. I have them on my expo trailer right now and the D rated rides nice, i know they are more expensive but they will ride smoother.

Yeah, that’s why I’m asking. I don’t put a ton of miles on the Jeep and I value ride quality.

Buy the tire based on your needs and its design. An E rated tired is designed to carry heavy loads and may ride harsh and not perform well. I would look for a C rated or maybe a D rated tire for your vehicle and then by a tire designed to do what you want it to do such as a mud tire, all terrain tire, highway tire, etc.

I have known a couple people have had E rated MTRs on their Wranglers and Tacoma and very disappointed with how they road and performed while at the same time I had the same tire but C rated (on my wrangler) and the ride and performance was very different.

That may not be true of all tires but it was true in our situations. The one with the Tacoma now runs a Cooper Discovery D rated tire and is very pleased with them.

That’s my fear. The Jeep rides nicely with C range tires on it now.

I would ditch the Rubicon takeoff tires (BFG KMs). Unless you were to get them siped, their road manners are absolutely awful. Mine scared me half to death anytime I was driving in any sort of wet road conditions. I would get the ST Maxxs, just got a set mounted on my Jeep in the 255/75R17 size to replace my BFG KMs. I've put about 1000 miles on them and love them to death already and wet roads don't scare me anymore.

I would go ahead and go with the 255/80 size, I think Tread Depot had the ST Maxxs in that size listed around $180-$190 a piece which is a heck of a lot cheaper than 34"x10.5" KO2s. You can expect them to be around 7 pounds or so heavier than the BFG KMs you currently have so nothing too outrageous in the weight department. Just play around with the psi to find that sweet spot that works best for you.

I don’t love the KM’s but I have the stock Sport tires for winter driving. The stock Sport tires have been fine for all my backcountry skiing and snowshoeing. The KM’s are horrible in the snow. Left them on into October this year just to see how bad a non-sipped tire is in the snow / ice.

I'm weighing the pros and cons of going from the 255/75 ST Maxx to the 255/80. I have a similar rig, but with a 2.5" AEV lift. The 255/75/17s have been great, and I highly recommend them. I have zero complaints. Now that they are in need of replacing, I'm torn about moving up. The actual gain in clearance is not huge, but 33s just "seem" right for the rig. In my case, I already have the spare if I stay with the 255/75s, making it an even tougher choice money wise. If you go 255/80, please report back. Would like to hear your results.

My biggest gripe about the stock KM’s in the 255/75 size, is that when I air down to 12 to 15 psi, the Jeep sits super low. The appeal of the 255/80’s or 34x10.50’s is more height (while aired down especially) while keeping the stock wheels / fenders.

If they made the St Maxx in 255/80 range C or D I’d have bought them already.

I can stomach the cost of the KO2 34x10.50’s but I’ve been reading conflicting reports about rubbing without lifting.

Thanks for the replies so far.

Fursphere

Observer
I run 35x12.50x16 BFG A/T KO2s on my XJ. Did a 1,000 mile round trip on the highway on them- road fine. Worked great in the dunes too air'd down to 15 PSI.

CCH

Adventurer
32.8 vs 31.77 comparing ST Maxx 255/80 to 255/75. Not sure how much difference you'd notice aired down. Seems like you need to get into 34+ to reap real benefits aired down over what you have already.

EMrider

Explorer
I've got about 15k miles on a set of ST Maxx 255/80s and think they are great. Very stable and comfortable on the road.

R

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles