E Load Range Tires?

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
Anyone running load-range-E tires on their 4Runner or Tacoma?

I would like to use a set of Toyo M/T 265/75R16s on my new 4Runner but I'm concerned about the stiff sidewalls. Maybe they won't be too bad because the suspension is so complaint? Less sure of this after I add the OME suspension?

I know C and D range is more common... but they are not available in this tire/size combo and I already have the tires.

Thanks,

redLine

cshontz

Supporting Sponsor
Redline said:
Anyone running load-range-E tires on their 4Runner or Tacoma?

I would like to use a set of Toyo M/T 265/75R16s on my new 4Runner but I'm concerned about the stiff sidewalls. Maybe they won't be too bad because the suspension is so complaint? Less sure of this after I add the OME suspension?

I know C and D range is more common... but they are not available in this tire/size combo and I already have the tires.

I'm running 245/75R16 E on my Jeep Cherokee XJ w/ OME, which is somewhat comparable in size to a 4Runner or Tacoma. They're noticably harder on the highway, but not too uncomfortable. It took a little getting used to, especially coming from a passenger rated tire, but it didn't take long. I'm comfortable enough - I'd get 'em again.

On the trail, I have no complaints. I air them down to between 15 and 10 psi, and they're very comfortable. Its like riding on a cloud. They've also been holding up really well.

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
Thanks for these first couple of responses.

I'm sold on my Toyos off-highway... I've had a set of both 265/75s and 285/75R16 Toyo M/Ts, both have been on my F350 and my (sold) 05 Rubicon. I've had them down to 9-10 PSI a few times and they are great. I'm mostly concerned about: #1 firm ride on my new plush 4Runner, and #2 noise in the quiet Toy (to a lesser extent than ride).

When I ran these 265s on my Jeep they were noticeably stiffer than the D-range tires they replaced, and the stock Wrangler 245/75R16 MT/Rs, also E-range, I found to be very stiff and loud. Ultimately I might just have to mount my Toyos and see how they are on the 4Runner. But all feedback is welcome before I spend the cash to have them pulled from the F350.

I have been thinking of several options, including buying a set of five aftermarket wheels to mount aggressive tires on and some 32-inch all-terrain treads for the stock wheels. This would be expensive. It's a conundrum of course as nice mellow street/A/T tires don't perform well in the slop, and an aggressive traction tires always has at least a few compromises on the streets.

calamaridog

Expedition Leader
I ran "E" load range BFG ATKO's on my Tacoma for a while and they were not too stiff on the road as long as you adjust the pressure accordingly.

I will be looking for some of those Toyo MT's in another 20k:D I'm very impressed by what I've seen.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles