E-bikes?

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Does anybody here use an e-bike? Wife and I are thinking of getting a couple to add to our trailer for our summer camping trips. There are many places we go that have bicycle friendly roads and trails. We have regular bikes now but don't use them as often as we'd like, likely because we are both nearing 60. I had thought about getting a small motorcycle but I think E-bikes would be a better solution.

Anyone here have experience they want to share with a specific brand or type? We have friends who have folding Rad Power E-bikes and love them. I know there are lots of options out there.

To the mods: As E-bikes become more and more common, I wonder if it would make sense to have an E-bike sub-board under the "Two wheels" category? I can't be the only person thinking about this.

billiebob

Does anybody here use an e-bike? Wife and I are thinking of getting a couple to add to our trailer for our summer camping trips. There are many places we go that have bicycle friendly roads and trails. We have regular bikes now but don't use them as often as we'd like, likely because we are both nearing 60. I had thought about getting a small motorcycle but I think E-bikes would be a better solution.

Anyone here have experience they want to share with a specific brand or type? We have friends who have folding Rad Power E-bikes and love them. I know there are lots of options out there.

To the mods: As E-bikes become more and more common, I wonder if it would make sense to have an E-bike sub-board under the "Two wheels" category? I can't be the only person thinking about this.
At 65 I'm with you on this. In BC, bicycles and ebikes are PST free.

F350joe

Love love love my ebike on trips. I use it to run into town, explore, as a life boat, collect firewood, it is the most used thing I bring. I would recommend a center hub motor as opposed to a wheel hub. The weight of the wheel hub off-road makes for a jarring ride. Full suspension is nice but limits your cargo and gets you into trouble. Figure about half the range off-road. Throttle and pedal assist is ideal. I like to not have to pedal so throttle is nice. All the components of the different bikes are essentially the same with only a few reputable motor makers out there. The mark up is insane and they are very easy to build yourself. If you are handy I would go that route, use a frame that is comfortable for you and can haul a little cargo. Spend the money you save in extra battery power or a bigger motor. I would suggest not going below 600W. Big fat tires kill range but are more comfortable in the rough, something to consider depending on where you ride. Rad ebike are a pretty good value, you will see others with the same specs for twice the price. Back county ebikes are interesting brand. It pricey. I like that they have a solar kit to charge it. Charging is an issue when not connected.

4runnerteq

Explorer
I have a friend who has 2 Specialized E-mountain bikes. He loves them. He's 64 years old and helps coach a local kids Mountain bike team. Can use the E to sill get out and keep up with the youngsters or pace them a little harder.

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
. ....The mark up is insane and they are very easy to build yourself. If you are handy I would go that route, use a frame that is comfortable for you and can haul a little cargo. Spend the money you save in extra battery power or a bigger motor. I would suggest not going below 600W. Big fat tires kill range but are more comfortable in the rough, something to consider depending on where you ride. Rad ebike are a pretty good value, you will see others with the same specs for twice the price. Back county ebikes are interesting brand. It pricey. I like that they have a solar kit to charge it. Charging is an issue when not connected.

re: building your own....that great advice and it actually doesn’t look that difficult.

here is a good link to an article about self builds, also containing info on how to purchase an affordable “how to build your own e bike” book.

Last edited:

billiebob

For an old fart like me the advantage of buying a new ebike or fat bike is the change of riding position. A buddy of mine out for a casual winter ride on his mountain bike lost control on an icy hill. Bill was / is a triathlete at 64. He hit a tree and shattered his shoulder. His friends as he spent $400 on studded tires told him to just get a Fat Bike..... in hind sight he realizes sitting on a Fat Bike he might not have lost control, not only is the bike more comfortable but the position is not a lean forward aggressive stance. You can literally stand up and put your feet down.... whereas a traditional mountain bike leans you into the punch, very aggressive if you are in control, dangerous once you lose control.

Here is the operation... animated thank god...

As an old fart I'll be selling my mountain bike and getting some kind of e/fat bike this spring.

Last edited:

billiebob

I rate this thread and my decision to buy an e-bike with my decision to sell my chainsaw... SOLD... and buy an e-chainsaw.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
OK, I'm semi-handy but there's a lot to be said for buying a "turn key" solution.

Right now I'm really liking this Scorpion from Juiced Bikes.

scorpion ebike.jpg

I was trying to figure out why I liked the look of it so much. Then it hit me: Because it looks so much like a Honda CT-110!

ct-110.jpg

Interesting, eh? A CT-110 clone that runs on a battery or pedal power, you can ride on bike trails and weighs ~65lbs.

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
I bought a tern gsd in august. We love it. It’s easy to adjust between riders , plenty of room for the child seat or cargo. The Bosch motor and battery gives us up to 60km range in town. We rarely use the car anymore for the daycare runs. Almost 2000km on it since we bought it.
My advise: go with Bosch power train and battery. They are currently the best.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
re: building your own....that great advice and it actually doesn’t look that difficult.

here is a good link to an article about self builds, also containing info on how to purchase an affordable “how to build your own e bike” book.

Don't see the link?

billiebob

OK, I'm semi-handy but there's a lot to be said for buying a "turn key" solution.

Right now I'm really liking this Scorpion from Juiced Bikes.

View attachment 557931

I was trying to figure out why I liked the look of it so much. Then it hit me: Because it looks so much like a Honda CT-110!

View attachment 557932

Interesting, eh? A CT-110 clone that runs on a battery or pedal power, you can ride on bike trails and weighs ~65lbs.
Yep, the longest running, most successful internal combustion powered vehicle EVER, the Honda Super Cub. Still made today.
Introduced in 1958, many changes over the years but it still looks the same, 60 years later.
2019-Honda-Super-Cub-C125-ABS-00.jpg

Honda sold the 100,000,000th Super Cub in 2017. Blowing VW and Henry Ford away.
5.jpeg

IF Honda introduced an e-bike...... I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

Last edited:

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
You guys are now really tickling my brain with the thought of turning my regular bike into an E-bike. Only drawback I see here is that my old Giant mountain bike is old enough to have caliper brakes rather than disc brakes. The funny thing is that it actually has a mounting hole for discs so I suppose I could convert it if I wanted to.

billiebob

e-bikes, Teslas, new technology challenging the status quo. Honda was a challenger in the 1950s, here is a great book.
The biggest scandal in US history.

1718377._UY630_SR1200,630_.jpg

shade

IF Honda introduced an e-bike...... I'd buy it in a heartbeat.
I've been mulling over an e-bicycle or motorcycle purchase. I don't think it'll be much longer before a major OEM releases a sub-300 lb dirt bike. Once that happens, I think the small bike market will change quickly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bad Taste