E-bike or motorcycle for secondary vehicle

RoamIt

You can do it! and it's even more important as you get older (I'm an old dude too) It's tough, but I lost 36lbs cycling. I started with a cheaper bike, and as I got fitter/faster, I upgraded. But I'm very aware it's the rider not the bike. ANY bike is good, just get out there and ride!

But I do enjoy rolling past guys half my age :cool:

calicamper

Expedition Leader
I have no reason to be as frugal as I am other than I retired young and want to stay retired. If I could get back into riding again I would buy a nicer bike.

I think the only bike I paid over $700 for was my Specialized Stumpjumper which was used but it was my only full suspension bike and I went out and got overconfident on my first day on it. Hit a stump with my pedal doing 20+ and did a high speed flip over the handlebars with bike still attached to me. I got badly hurt but not injured (injure equals hospital). My $700 1987 Marin Pine Mountain might get the motor. Just because it is now built as a commuter, I think the ability to go farther into town and zip around the city with my wife would be fun on an e-bike.

One reason I would like an E-bike is it looks like a lot of fun, and would make biking easier. In my search for e-bikes a few months ago, I found a forum for fat guys using E-bikes to lose significant weight. I would hope owning an e-bike would be a good start on a workout regimen. The hope being after some E-biking I could do justice on my Stumpjumper, riding some aggressive Mtn Bike trails. If I could ever get back into shape, someday I'd like to do this.

PS I hear 1up and 2 up. are these bike racks for one or two bikes?
LoLo racks are showing up everywhere now. I have a 6er for my Expedition neighbor just rigged two on his rear door rack thing on his built up Transit Van.
Honestly I don’t get the UP thing at all. Several type A neighbors who spend money like its free. Have them. All of them have had various moving parts rattle loose. My two up rack is super basic simple only three bolts on the thing and cost $110. Zero plastic. Its been great.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
PS I hear 1up and 2 up. are these bike racks for one or two bikes?
"1UP" is a bicycle rack brand. They can handle from one to four bikes depending on model and configuration.

Not sure of a rack brand called "2 up" so I assume that to mean you're riding "two up" on the bike, e.g. you have a passenger on the back.

There is a brand called "2x2 Cycles" that is a tray you mount on your motorcycle cargo rack that allows you to carry a bicycle.

FWIW, we have 1UP racks, I bought one many years ago when they made stationary trainers (that was actually my first 1UP thing, a trainer bought in 2007), too. I think they left the trainer business and were I believe sold.

The reason I bought it originally was being U.S.-made and unique concept at the time (2011). I got the second rack in 2018 to put on the car simply for commonality.

Spare parts made in 2021 and the floating extra tray I have fit either rack should I need to upgrade or repair. Whether they are the "best" or not, I dunno. They're stable in the hitch and hold up pretty well to being taken off highway so they work for me. But they can get rattles and the way they grip the bike wheels isn't the absolute most secure, they can wobble somewhat. My original rack used a smooth jamming bar, which was very prone to wiggling loose. The toothed ratchet bar they use now (and I was able to retrofit) was a marked improvement.

If I was starting from zero, at the prices they go for now, I might not go 1UP. I have no real complaints but the market for hitch-mounted racks has evolved so there's more choices.

I do like how DIY they look and operate. Initially it was obviously a small shop of a machinist making semi-custom bike stuff and not a fully developed product. They're pretty hard to raise and lower, especially with bikes on them. I see people with 4 bike 1UPs, that would be a true PITA. The racks themselves for a single bike are I think about 75 lbs and each tray adds about 20 lbs. So a 4-way fully utilized would be 250 or 300 lbs hung a long way out on a hitch.

Last edited:

calicamper

Expedition Leader
"1UP" is a bicycle rack brand. They can handle from one to four bikes depending on model and configuration.

Not sure of a rack brand called "2 up" so I assume that to mean you're riding "two up" on the bike, e.g. you have a passenger on the back.

There is a brand called "2x2 Cycles" that is a tray you mount on your motorcycle cargo rack that allows you to carry a bicycle.

FWIW, we have 1UP racks, I bought one many years ago when they made stationary trainers (that was actually mt first 1UP thing, bought in 2007), too. I think they left the trainer business and were I believe sold.

The reason I bought it originally was being U.S.-made and unique concept at the time (2011). I got the second rack in 2018 to put on the car simply for commonality.

Spare parts made in 2021 and the floating extra tray I have fit either rack should I need to upgrade or repair. Whether they are the "best" or not, I dunno. They're stable in the hitch and hold up pretty well to being taken off highway so they work for me. But they can get rattles and the way they grip the bike wheels isn't the absolute most secure, they can wobble somewhat. My original rack used a smooth jamming bar, which was very prone to wiggling loose. The toothed ratchet bar they use now (and I was able to retrofit) was a marked improvement.

If I was starting from zero, at the prices they go for now, I might not go 1UP. I have no real complaints but the market for hitch-mounted racks has evolved so there's more choices.

I do like how DIY they look and operate. Initially it was obviously a small shop of a machinist making semi-custom bike stuff and not a fully developed product. They're pretty hard to raise and lower, especially with bikes on them. I see people with 4 bike 1UPs, that would be a true PITA. The racks themselves for a single bike are I think about 75 lbs and each tray adds about 20 lbs. So a 4-way fully utilized would be 250 or 300 lbs hung a long way out on a hitch.
Yup neighbor bent his Audi levering 4 bikes off the hitch on his 1up. Has a funny kink /crease bend right behind the rear door. He now does two on the roof two on the hitch. He’s also one of three that dragged 1/2 a bike down the highway after one of several loose bolts let go?‍♂️.
Two up meaning my two bike tray style hitch rack.
I bet the levered load on the 4 bike, tray style hitch rack is way over 300, add some good highway oscillation and I bet you see far higher loading.

Photobug

That was the confusing part was 1up and 2up referring to the bike rack and or the bike having two people on the bike, which is something I would also like to consider.
I have so many roof rack bike racks then a Yakima 4 up. I saw the newer design that looks like my roof rack tray but hanging off the bumper and now the LOLOs which are everywhere nowadays. I local bike renting business just moved into my neighborhood, they use the LOLO considering how many bikes they move each summer they must be convenient.

Both my truck and Class C have both front and rear hitches. I often carry bikes on the front of my truck, but could carry them on the back of the truck. The RV is another story, I got a spare on the front and the back is the only easy entrance/exit so any rack back there would be a pain.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
That was the confusing part was 1up and 2up referring to the bike rack and or the bike having two people on the bike, which is something I would also like to consider.
I have so many roof rack bike racks then a Yakima 4 up. I saw the newer design that looks like my roof rack tray but hanging off the bumper and now the LOLOs which are everywhere nowadays. I local bike renting business just moved into my neighborhood, they use the LOLO considering how many bikes they move each summer they must be convenient.

Both my truck and Class C have both front and rear hitches. I often carry bikes on the front of my truck, but could carry them on the back of the truck. The RV is another story, I got a spare on the front and the back is the only easy entrance/exit so any rack back there would be a pain.
The lolo is heavy as heck but I can hang 6 and they stick out about as far as my one bike on my two bike tray. The rear hatch window can still swing open with about 1/2 inch clearance on the post. The really nice thing is how quick you can load it. Takes about 5 min to toss 6 bikes on it.

it does tip down for full rear hatch opening but no freaking way you can lift it backup with bikes on it.

DaveInDenver

If you're considering Lolo you could also look at North Shore Racks, which are similar in concept. I personally see a fair number of North Shores around here, although 1UP and Rocky Mounts are both probably more common.

RoamIt

I don't know if I was the culprit for the '2up' confusion :oops:, but I was describing having an E-bike and a motorcycle for various purposes, 2up was referring to the motorcycle. This is the common term for 2 people on a motorcycle.

I fabricated my own bike rack for my car and will no doubt be fabricating the mounts on my rig for the bikes & motorcycle.

Last edited:

Photobug

I don't know if I was the culprit for the '2up' confusion :oops:, but I was describing having an E-bike and a motorcycle for various purposes, 2up was referring to the motorcycle. This is the common term for 2 people on a motorcycle.

I fabricated my own bike rack for my car and will no doubt be fabricating the mounts on my rig for the bikes & motorcycle.

Definitely part of the confusion but also part of the issue. If I could find an E-bike that I could do 2-up Would probably go with that first. I would hope to get a motorcycle my wife and I could both ride on.

My current search for Motorcycles has led me towards this one: https://powersports.honda.com/street/adventure/crf300l-crf250l

It seems to tick a lot of the boxes, low standover height, good for beginners, tilts towards road use.
Not sure how well the one piece frame would hold up to a 2-up situation.

RoamIt

That's a thought, perhaps a tandem bike with a motor?

The Honda has had pretty good reviews, but I don't know how well it would handle 2up.

DaveInDenver

Definitely part of the confusion but also part of the issue. If I could find an E-bike that I could do 2-up Would probably go with that first. I would hope to get a motorcycle my wife and I could both ride on.

My current search for Motorcycles has led me towards this one: https://powersports.honda.com/street/adventure/crf300l-crf250l

It seems to tick a lot of the boxes, low standover height, good for beginners, tilts towards road use.
Not sure how well the one piece frame would hold up to a 2-up situation.
Putting a passenger on any bike is a significant step up in capability. There's full size motorcycles where trying to put someone on the back is a stretch.

Ultimately it would seem a question of expectations. If it's just to avoid walking a couple of miles is much different than trying to spend all day touring as a passenger.

An e-tandem is an interesting mention.

Vandiesel

I have a tandem and as much as I’ve racked my brain I cannot figure out how to electrify it. I’ve build 6 bikes now and encourage you guys to do one. It is a game changer and so much fun. The range is insane and actually more than I want to ride most trips. I have an old Bridgestone mb1 I got in college that may get the next setup. Hard tails are perfect. I use my 8 speed townie the most. The 1up rack is tested by the weight and it is above my aluminess rack on the back of the van. Kinda scary 6 feet up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Photobug

Putting a passenger on any bike is a significant step up in capability. There's full size motorcycles where trying to put someone on the back is a stretch.

Ultimately it would seem a question of expectations. If it's just to avoid walking a couple of miles is much different than trying to spend all day touring as a passenger.

My expectations would be very minimal on a 2-up on a motorcycle would be simply to get into town for a meal or to explore nearby. I would expect to be only on a forest service road or highway to get to town. As a way to avoid having to drive the van every day. I am still concerned about the capacity of a 250 or 300 cc motorcycle for two.

If we want to spend the day touring we would take the Van. I am very excited to be able to ride by myself on a new motorcycle.

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
My expectations would be very minimal on a 2-up on a motorcycle would be simply to get into town for a meal or to explore nearby. I would expect to be only on a forest service road or highway to get to town. As a way to avoid having to drive the van every day. I am still concerned about the capacity of a 250 or 300 cc motorcycle for two.

If we want to spend the day touring we would take the Van. I am very excited to be able to ride by myself on a new motorcycle.

I've been researching the carry along e-bike versus moto for sometime. My needs are a little different but similar. We need a two up small moto as a run about, explorer and trail bike, plus as a portage bike for rivers and lakes, plus light enough to not adversely effect the Tiger off-road. I'm designing a rear carrier for our Tiger camper to carry (2) inflatable kayaks, camp gear and a small, light moto. While I've ridden a number of e-bikes and would like to have one for running around events, a single one is simply not capable enough for our intended use. So, I've narrowed down the moto to a Honda line (always wanted a Honda) and are narrowing it down to the CRF250X, CRF300L and the Rally. The main issues are, off-road/trail capabilities of each bike, must be capable of being street legal, must be able to carry two up, large tank sizes and most importantly, must fall under 300lbs range since I want to limit the entire rear carrier to 500 lbs and not kill myself unloading/loading it multiple times a day. Right now the biggest problem is finding a new or used bike due to the supply issues!

71055155-E0E0-400F-9AD5-F891FFEDC1B3.jpeg

Last edited:

Photobug

Right now the biggest problem is finding a new or used bike due to the supply issues!

Right now the CRF 250s are plentiful used, they have been made for years. If you want a CRF 300 L which I just discovered myself and think it might be a perfect fit for me, better get in line. There is a waiting list for spring deliveries. I have my name on a waiting list and will call the other shops to put my name on there as well. One is for sale at a premium on the Utah KSL classifieds.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles