E-bike or motorcycle for secondary vehicle

Photobug

My wife and I traveled to a big city a month ago and had a ton of fun on rental scooters. We are now looking at all sorts of secondary vehicles from scooters to motorcycles, but looking more at an ebike, but considering a small on/off road motorcycle, back in the day they were called Enduros, not sure what they call them nowadays.

We have a 22 foot class C and would attach whatever we get to the front or rear bumper. Just looking for opinions on the options for a second set of vehicles to get us to and from town, restaurants or grocer stores or just a fun way to explore while camping.

This is just one of the vehicles we are looking at.

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
There seems to be a small trend for e-bikes that are styled to look like motorcycles - big tires, body tubes, etc. I suspect that this will kill access to bike trails, even for those of us who have more bicycle styled bikes.

Photobug

There seems to be a small trend for e-bikes that are styled to look like motorcycles - big tires, body tubes, etc. I suspect that this will kill access to bike trails, even for those of us who have more bicycle styled bikes.

My local dirt trails right above town don't allow any E-bikes at all. But the paved bikepath have become downright dangerous. Tons of kids on them who have no driving skills or common sense and fly at top speed pass on blind corners.

I figure if I end up with a motorcycle style e-bike I will end up riding the edges of the road, might be safer than the bike path at least in my hometown.

FlipperFla

We have a Yamaha Zuma 125 scooter and a Versahaul carrier that can also pull our skiff. Great for exploring and running for supplies. We used to have 50cc zuma but it struggled keeping up in traffic with 2 people. AE353ECC-96FE-4042-8C6D-87CBA90B6273.jpeg

jkam

nomadic man
I chose a small dual sport motorcycle.
I have a Kawasaki Super Sherpa. It's an under 300 lb. 250 cc, street legal bike.
Air cooled and bulletproof. Will go 65 mph all day long.
It's great for exploring new areas I might want to take the RV to.
Once I find a nice spot, I use it to go to town, get groceries, do laundry and all kinds of other errands.
It has a range of about 150 miles, which is plenty for me.
Would be fine two up with another person for getting around.
It is cheap to plate and insure, making it perfect for my lifestyle.

billiebob

E-Bikes, limited in speed are free to run.
All the rest need registration, insurance and an operators license, not free.

That said, E-Bikes are evolutionary and likely several manufacturers will disappear over the next 10 years so parts might be an issue.
And batteries are brand specific, hopefully a standardized battery like car batteries will evolve.

Photobug

the Cake on the header this week looks pretty spiffy
I think so also, it looks pretty cool, but would probably go with an E-bike so I could possibly ride on a bike path or a gas motorcycle. The cake is not fast enough to be safe on a road and not being able to take advantage of bike paths.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
As mentioned the speed at which they are changing makes a bike just a few yrs old obsolete regarding parts. I think the true ebike ie assisted are pretty awesome. The e motor bikes are just development toys that are outdated in just a few months. $3000 for a machine with a 6 month model life? No thanks. I just bought a fuel injected Electric start 10hp outboard that’s been around for 11yrs.. Yeah it has EFI now but it’s basically the same engine sold under 10 different brands all made in one Factory in Japan. Same deal on the gas dirt bikes parts are not a problem for the most part

jkam

nomadic man
E-Bikes, limited in speed are free to run.
All the rest need registration, insurance and an operators license, not free.

That said, E-Bikes are evolutionary and likely several manufacturers will disappear over the next 10 years so parts might be an issue.
And batteries are brand specific, hopefully a standardized battery like car batteries will evolve.

The one DiploStrat showed is about $4,000. My Sherpa was half that price. I pay $15 a year to plate it, $75 a year to insure it.
It is street legal and will do highway speeds safely.
The OP would need two of those E bikes to get him and his wife around. So for over $8,000 in E bikes, I could ride my Sherpa forever.
And when I want to sell it, it will be worth almost what I paid for it 10 years ago.

Chorky

Observer
eems to be a small trend for e-bikes that are styled to look like motorcycles - big tires, body tubes, etc. I suspect that this will kill access to bike trails, even for those of us who have more bicycle styled

Agreed with you fully. There is SO much contention at my workplace about this actually, well the whole state really. It was stated for particular areas E bikes were strictly prohibited, then recended and allowed, then prohibited again, and every weird combination of possibilities in between. Now nobody really knows what is 'legal' or not - not that people care anyway. But I think the super fast motorcycle style bikes will ruin it for everyone. which is really sad because, as much as I dislike the creation of these electronics, one cannot deny that it is giving mobility to a whole lot of physically struggling (old and actually disabled) people. And if allowed, could allow such folks to see some really pretty places only reserved for the super in shape people.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz