"E-bike" mopeds more dangerous than motorcycles?

rruff

Explorer
For one thing, at least in the US, they come from the mfg governed, by law, to a max of about 25 mph.
It's a shame they have to have those silly pedals...

Never understood the point of moped classification. Just make an unlicensed light scooter class with weight, speed, and power restrictions.

Roaddude

Long time off-grid vanlife adventurist
It's a shame they have to have those silly pedals...

Never understood the point of moped classification. Just make an unlicensed light scooter class with weight, speed, and power restrictions.
I love that mine has pedals. I don't find them silly at all but quite purposeful. My ebike is not classified as a moped, nor is it a scooter.

craig333

Expedition Leader
I have no idea how common it is but I've seen them riding on the wrong side of the street and other stupid stuff. I just hope those idiots aren't in the majority.

Lovetheworld

The pedals are super useful because you still exercise, something that many people need.
Also, I used an electric scooter / moped without pedals for a while, and it completely sucks in colder months. Because you are just sitting there doing nothing getting cold. If the ride is long you can really notice. On a (electric) bicycle it is much better.

Here in Netherlands people are using them more and more. They completely ditch their car and go to work with these things, also in ************ weather.
Much more healthy while saving lots of money.

The ones that go above 25 km / h are in a different class requiring a small license plate and helmet.
The ones below 25 km / h are very common.
Even my mom at 64 took this bicycle to work, so they didnt have to replace the second car (which needed to go because it was worn out) with a new one for the short time up to retirement, after which they didnt need two cars anymore.

But yeah, we have decent cycling infrastructure and cycling is in our culture.

For those mountainbikes I don't get the electrical assist. Isn't the exercise what makes it fun and healthy?
Or are you the kind of guys that don't want to pedal on your bicycle, and at other times take the car to the fitness school to work out because you need exercise.

DirtWhiskey

Western Dirt Rat
Not sure what the quible with ebikes is. I almost never use mine in town because people REALLY like stealing them in the city.. Most common use fore is as a shuttle vehicle for day hikes and backpacking on the Colorado plateau. I can usually travel 300% as fast or more over technical terrain than a Jeep. Pedals are great. Battery runs out, you got yourself a mountain bike. One of the best purchases I ever made. And I'm a motorcyclist. Not worrying about a 250lb chunk of metal on a hinky hitch out back is wonderful. Want more range? Buy another battery. If you haven't tried one I suggest you do. Will I be using it to drive to Tierra Del Fuego? Not until we have portable nuclear generators. I'll use my Wr426. But for bopping around camp area they are unbeatable. My bike is 27.5 incher with real components (Rock Shox etc) and a 1500 watt mid drive so I can run it through the gears. It's a friggin blast.

al_burpe

Observer
The pedals are super useful because you still exercise, something that many people need.
Also, I used an electric scooter / moped without pedals for a while, and it completely sucks in colder months. Because you are just sitting there doing nothing getting cold. If the ride is long you can really notice. On a (electric) bicycle it is much better.

Here in Netherlands people are using them more and more. They completely ditch their car and go to work with these things, also in ************ weather.
Much more healthy while saving lots of money.

The ones that go above 25 km / h are in a different class requiring a small license plate and helmet.
The ones below 25 km / h are very common.
Even my mom at 64 took this bicycle to work, so they didnt have to replace the second car (which needed to go because it was worn out) with a new one for the short time up to retirement, after which they didnt need two cars anymore.

But yeah, we have decent cycling infrastructure and cycling is in our culture.

For those mountainbikes I don't get the electrical assist. Isn't the exercise what makes it fun and healthy?
Or are you the kind of guys that don't want to pedal on your bicycle, and at other times take the car to the fitness school to work out because you need exercise.
I got rid of my families second car and bought an e-bike to commute to and from the office. I live in Pennsylvania and even though we don't get a ton of snow riding in winter is interesting. You are correct that pedaling helps keep you warm on the cold days. I normally set it to a lower assist when it is very cold out. It feels like I am cheating at life when I commute on my e-bike. I have fun, I get exercise, I get to be outdoors, and I don't have to show up to the office all sweaty.

For the mountain bikes, I think it helps people that might not otherwise be able to mountain bike get out and actually do it. Mountain biking can be very strenuous, so the e-bike helps people starting from a very low fitness level to be able to ride and ride longer than they otherwise would have. There are more advanced riders that also use them. My guess is that they are able to take on new trails or cram more distance into less time.