E-350 wiring question - tapping in to Smart Junction Box (SJB)

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
Very nice! Which plug/pin# did you end up using?? I'd like to add a little amp behind my Head unit and that would be excellent reference. It's kind of hard to figure out what pin is what fuse in the SMJ.

Here are my notes -

F40 is present in SJB, but there is no terminal in the connector. Connector is a Yazaki 7282-5622-40. Terminal is a 7116-4101-02

Timjim

Observer
Thanks for that. From what I recall, the outside four pins are 20A. My SMJ is fully populated as well, but there's more than a few empty spots. I have to fully wire from the junctionbox side of the big harness under the steering column up to my upfitter switches. there was no harness provided in my van and I want those switches for lights etc.

Thanks for the tip on this!

pugslyyy

Thanks for that. From what I recall, the outside four pins are 20A. My SMJ is fully populated as well, but there's more than a few empty spots. I have to fully wire from the junctionbox side of the big harness under the steering column up to my upfitter switches. there was no harness provided in my van and I want those switches for lights etc.

Thanks for the tip on this!

Sounds like you have a good handle on it. Adding the wire in to tap the amplifier power at the SJB went so easily that I was looking around thinking I had obviously overlooked something. Tapping in to the circuits at the BJB take a bit more because the wires are there but the relays and fuses are not. At least it is easy access.

The most pesky wire I have fought with is the Battery Charge Protect circuit. Not only is the pin not present in the connector, you actually have to drill a hole to insert the pin and then seal it up with a hot glue gun afterwards (or at least that is what I ended up doing).

Yes, the connector is a 10x1.5, 4x2.8. Yazaki calls is a "hybrid" connector because it has more than one connector size.

Pins 1,7,8,14 (the outside pins) are 2.8mm and the rest are 1.5mm

You can run up to 16 gauge wire on the 1.5mm terminals, and up to 14 gauge wire on the 2.8mm terminals

Last edited:

pugslyyy

If you ever wondered whether posting tips and solutions online helps people.... I was just googling an E-350 wiring question and found my answer from 2016. It had all the answers I needed for my question today, so thanks 2016 pugslyyy for helping out 2020 pugslyyy. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles