E-350 Cutaway with Total Composites Box

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
Awesome job by Dallas and Andrea! This looks very good. I was hoping to visit Pronghorn on my way back from Edmonton but the incoming snow forecast made me hightail it over the rockies. Maybe next time!

nyyankees588

That thing is awesome! Love to see a composite camper on the e-series chassis. Any rough estimate on cost for the box + windows & doors + subframe (materials and/or install)? Totally cool if you don't want to share.

Ninelitetrip

Do you know what the overall height is yet to the top of the roof vent? With no AC, would that be the highest point or the depicted side rails?

b. rock

Maybe I missed it, but can you give some details on the seal you used between the chassis and the cab?

thanks,
Herb

Also interested. I was surprised to see that it looks like it's directly mounted, not with one of those flexible rubber ones you see on some of the longer platforms.

Nice build. I think about this style build often. Maybe the next van.

CalgaryMcLean

Also interested. I was surprised to see that it looks like it's directly mounted, not with one of those flexible rubber ones you see on some of the longer platforms.

Nice build. I think about this style build often. Maybe the next van.

The camper body is fixed to the van cab, no accordion rubber seal.

A bulb-style weather-stripping was clipped on, all around the lip of the cab.
The camper body was installed up against the cab, compressing the weather-stripping.
The exterior gap between the camper body and the cab was filled/sealed/adhered with Koemmerling Körapop 225 adhesive (the flexible sealant/adhesive used to assemble the Total Composite camper body).

The front of subframe is also fixed to the rear of the cab, and pivots at the rear.
So hopefully minimal movement between the cab, camper and subframe.

BroncoHauler

Adventurer
Was the extra rear clearance gained by the subframe what made you decide for the squared rear end, versus the Total Composites option of the angled rear end?

This is already an awesome start, I can't wait for the interior conversion.

thanks,
Herb

CalgaryMcLean

Was the extra rear clearance gained by the subframe what made you decide for the squared rear end, versus the Total Composites option of the angled rear end?

This is already an awesome start, I can't wait for the interior conversion.

thanks,
Herb
An angled rear end is meant to improve the departure angle, although I think that it has also become a bit of an 'overlanding' fashion thing.
It is cool to say that your camper has a 'departure angle' built into it. Well, all vehicles have a departure angle and the rear of the camper can be trimmed to help maintain this angle, but when someone says that their camper shell comes with departure angle, that is just hype. Sorry, small rant.

In my case, the departure angle is limited by the stock fuel tank mounted behind the rear axle. Extend a line from the rear wheels, up past the edge of the fuel tank, and that is the best departure angle this vehicle can have. The rear edge of the subframe also intersects this departure angle line: a longer subframe would impact the departure angle, a shorter subframe wouldn't provide any gains.

The rear underbody toolboxes are not as tall as the other underbody boxes; this was done so that they don't impact the departure angle.

The spare tire and the rear storage boxes were also mounted at a height that doesn't impact the departure angle.

I could have had the rear of the camper angle up from the rear of the subframe and this would have given me an extra 12 to 18 inched more interior length, but:

1. I don't need the extra length for my interior layout
2. Would increase overall length of the vehicle and add a bit to the weight
3. The rear storage boxes and the spare tire would have to be mounted quite a bit higher, above the top of the angled section.
4. Slightly more involved camper assembly and cost.

So, for my situation, angling the rear of the camper would have given me a bit more interior length, that I don't need, and would have come with a few compromises that I didn't want.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior