Dynatrac Free-Spin kits (getting rid of unit bearings)

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Anyone have any experience? Looks to be a legit setup.

At near 140k on our 2011 Superduty, I've got a noise developing that is likely a unit bearing or two.
And considering OEM Motorcraft unit bearings are near $400 each, this seems to be a relatively affordable long-term fix...

deserteagle56

Adventurer
Not on a Ford but I do have the Spyntec kit on my Dodge/Cummins dually which comes with MileMarker hubs. Truck is a 2004, the hubs have been on there for years and have been trouble free.

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
The Turtle Expedition installed those on their F-550. There is information on their blog HERE , HERE , and HERE
It certainly seems like a worthwhile mod.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Thanks guys.

Ive reached out to Dynatrac to make certain they have them in stock and ready to ship.

I tore the offending side apart this morning. Bearings are definitely toast.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Well, didn't bother on waiting for a response from Dynatrac

We roll heavy, and the conversion seems like a no-brainer.

So I have the kit & new U-joints on order. (y)

ttengineer

Adventurer
I have them on my Ram. Love them.

Be warned, each side uses about 16oz of grease.

Also use the 6 point socket they recommend. The one one I got from NAPA wasn’t deep enough and gave false torque readings which caused the hub to fail after a few thousand miles and required an early rebuild.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: mog

Explorerinil

Observer
For Dodge guys that's a big deal.

Us Ford guys already have manual locking hubs.

I just want serviceable bearings! (y)
For ram and ford, both have the same issue, non serviceable unit bearings. I heard and could be wrong, in automatic position on the ford bearings it’s vaccum operated, is that correct? I’ve seen a few different options for ford trucks and one eliminated the vaccum actuated part, maby that’s an older truck. Check out warn I think they make a cost effective direct replacement for your truck also.

montypower

Adventure Time!
What bearing service life are current generation Ford D60 axles seeing? I've haven't been finding many early failures (pre-100k mileage).

Keep in mind. Unit bearings are easier to live with. You don't need to hassle with regular bearing pre-load adjustments and lubrication. Basically, you are exchanging a "no maintenance" part for a regular maintenance item. I've had both. Wouldn't change mine out unless these units are failing a low mileage.

ttengineer

Adventurer
What bearing service life are current generation Ford D60 axles seeing? I've haven't been finding many early failures (pre-100k mileage).

Keep in mind. Unit bearings are easier to live with. You don't need to hassle with regular bearing pre-load adjustments and lubrication. Basically, you are exchanging a "no maintenance" part for a regular maintenance item. I've had both. Wouldn't change mine out unless these units are failing a low mileage.

On my Ram, my OEM hubs blew up at ~75k miles. I had only had my 37s since 60k miles.

Yes the Dynatracs are expensive, but a new unit bearing if I remember is around $300-$400 depending on the dealer and only available from the dealer, not a parts warehouse.

Dynatracs are around $50 to rebuild. And can be serviced without tire removal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
For those wondering, it looks like our truck will be on stands for a while.
Im assuming due much to COVID, my set is 2-4 weeks out.

At this point Im tempted to toss the old ones back in just to move the truck out of my shop ?

OEM originals and replacements (Motorcraft) are lasting anywhere between 30k and 100k
Aftermarket units.... quite the gamble. Ive heard as little as 10k ?
I'm at a touch under 140k, and the ones Im removing are Motorcraft, but evidence (plier marks on the studs, that you remove and reuse) points towards these NOT being original.

In my life, I've never had to swap out D60 taper bearings. The ones in my old Powerstroke, a kingpin D60 I robbed from an older truck, have upwards of 300k on them, with little to no maintenance, with no worries.
Clean em up, repack, and run them. So long as there is no scoring or heat marks on the rollers or races, good to go.
They are also dirt cheap and considerably easier to swap out (if you ever have to) than unit bearings IMO, especially if you live in the rust belt.
The 4 large studs that mount the unit bearings can be nasty. You dont have to remove the spindle with the Dynatrac

For those not aware, the bearings in the OE unit bearings utilize plastic retainers, and due to whatever reason, are very close together.
This setup uses standard serviceable bearings and also spreads them, for more stability.

Taken from one of the links provided above, this shows the very significant difference.

Old-New-3.jpg

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
I heard and could be wrong, in automatic position on the ford bearings it’s vaccum operated, is that correct?

Correct. WHEN they function. They rely on the inner seal to hold vac.
That seal dosnt last very long. So most superduties owners are getting out to lock the hubs anyhow.
I prefer it that way myself....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles