Dyna Beads - recent experience?

TangoBlue

American Adventurist
I'm looking at a new set of 315's for my recently SAC'd truck and I searched the forum for experience with Dyna Beads. http://www.innovativebalancing.com/

Most of it is several years old and consists of debates on which is better from pellets, beads, BBs, weights, golf balls... but the best thread revealed: http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14459&highlight=Dyna+Beads

I'd like to see a response from folks who have use Dyna Beads and what their thoughts are on using them for their trucks. Thanks...

alosix

Expedition Leader
I used them in a set of used 33x12.5R15s on my TJ for a while. They were fairly smooth, but they won't get rid of a 'lateral' imbalance so it would still have a little wobble to it now and then. That particular tire size just doesn't balance very well with them.

I also have them in the 9R16 (35.5ish by 10ish) XLs on the 725. That truck is smooth as glass up to 70ish (haven't really gone faster, for lack of a speedometer currently :) )...

I'd run them again, but they do tend to work better on taller/skinnier tires than wider ones.

When I was distributing them, I used to get a lot of motorcycle guys buying them.

marshal

Burrito Enthusiast
i ran them on my Jeep. never really did anything for me. road force balance is a better use of money

bobcat charlie

Adventurer
Balance Beads

I hvae used Dyna Beads for 8 years and LOVE them! I ran the beads in my 315/70 X 17 BFG ATs and got 78K miles on a set of 6 tires with legal tread left on all 6 tires! The beads smooth the ride and even the wear, they just plain work!

I just put on a set of 5 Hankook 35 X 12.5 X 17 MT and went with the Dyna Beads again. This time I used the larger off road beads, but don't think that's significant.

BTW, when we removed the ATs the beads looked like new. I expected to see them warn down to a paste but the were still perfect! I let the tire guy have the old beads, he's going to try a few oz's on a motorcycle. I use them on my Buell, and they work fine!

One thing to remember, beads don't work very well in low aspect tires so the road racer guys are out of luck. 70 aspect or higher, and you will LOVE the beads.

BTW, No, I don't work for Inovation...wish I did!

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
I run them in both DS motorcyces and my truck. I have 285/70-17 BFG TAKO. I'll second everything in the post above this one and hope to have the same results in another 70k miles :)

TangoBlue

American Adventurist
I hvae used Dyna Beads for 8 years and LOVE them! I ran the beads in my 315/70 X 17 BFG ATs and got 78K miles on a set of 6 tires with legal tread left on all 6 tires! The beads smooth the ride and even the wear, they just plain work!

I just put on a set of 5 Hankook 35 X 12.5 X 17 MT and went with the Dyna Beads again. This time I used the larger off road beads, but don't think that's significant.

BTW, when we removed the ATs the beads looked like new. I expected to see them warn down to a paste but the were still perfect! I let the tire guy have the old beads, he's going to try a few oz's on a motorcycle. I use them on my Buell, and they work fine!

One thing to remember, beads don't work very well in low aspect tires so the road racer guys are out of luck. 70 aspect or higher, and you will LOVE the beads.

BTW, No, I don't work for Inovation...wish I did!

How many ounces did you use for the 35s and 315s? 8 ounces or did you require more?

opie

Explorer
Ive tried them twice. Most recent was in motorcycle tires.

No doubt they work, but make sure there is absolutely no moisture in the tire prior to seating the last bead. I must have had some moisture in my bike tires as the front wouldnt balance. When I took the tire off the beads were evenly distributed around the tire and stuck in place. When I took them out and placed them in a plastic bag, I could tell they were wet due to condensation on the inside of the bag.

4Rocker

Observer
I ran the beads when I first installed my 255/85-16 KM2s this past fall. They would be very hit or miss as to whether or not there would be vibration or not. I only seemed to feel vibrations at higher speeds, but thats when the beads are supposed to be doing their job. Not wanting to continue exposing my suspension/steering to that vibration for long periods of highway driving, I removed the beads and had the wheels balanced by a local tire shop and they are absolutely perfect now. Bang for the buck, I think Ill stick with conventional weights. On the flip side, many people in my local club run the beads and seem to like them.

RusM

Adventurer
My buddy runs them on cut up 36" Swamper SX's and likes them, they're the only way he can keep his tires halfway balanced. You have to have a system in place to be able to add and remove the beads (tire mount/dismount machine, beadlocks and a shop vac with a catch basin). Also, just buy the Air-Soft pellets from Wal-Mart. Way cheaper than Dyna-Beads!

bobcat charlie

Adventurer
I have used 8 OZ of balance beads in both the 315/70 X 17 BFG ATs and the 35 X 12.50 X 17 Hankook MTs. In think the beads help milage by smoothing out the ride but I'd have to have a matched set of weight balanced wheels/tires to be able to prove it.

alexrex20

Explorer
Rather than $20 a tire for DynaBeads, i spent $2.17 for a bottle of 2000 copper BBs at Wal-Mart and have used them on several sets of tires. I use 40-45 BBs per tire, or about 7.5oz.

My 255/85-16 KM2s use 40 BBs each. The 315/75-16 KM2s on my truck used 45 BBs, as did my 33in SSRs. I love BB-balanced tires and will continue to use them.

ihatemybike

Explorer
I'm running airsoft pellets in Grumpy's tires. I didn't take into account the plugs that were in them the first time and ended up having to add more beads.

ashooter

Adventurer
I ran 8 oz of "Offroad" DynaBeads in a set of 255/85R16 Toyo MT's with good results. Tried the same in a set of Toyo M55's (same size) and they severely sucked - really bad wobble/vibration running between about 45 and 60.

I'm going to stick with old fashioned lead from now on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles