Dutch Oven cooking

Joanne

Adventurer
Hi all,

I do quite a bit of dutch oven cooking when I'm out camping. I've recently started focusing on developing my bread skills.

These are some herb-garlic rolls. Not too bad for my first try at these in a DO.

hg_rolls.jpg

Although this Mexican cornbread needs to brown a bit more, it came out really good.

cornbread.jpg

Although it's a bit of work do to bread out camping, it sure tastes great.

Joanne

Willman

Looks very good!

Welcome to the ExPo by-the-way!!!!!

I to like to DO cook!!!!......Breakfast is my favorite!

:chowtime:

bovw

Explorer
I'm going to have to get a DO, it's been years since I used one. I fondly remember many a good peach cobbler from my Boy Scout days.:chowtime:

Joanne

Adventurer
big sky trapper said:
DO cooking cant leave home with out them unless were doing some really primative stuff...but allass Im starting to pass the super secret how to book on to my girls...

http://expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6077

i think weve tried just about "everything" in them....

DO's over a camp fire with a spit mmmmmm goooood....

Great pictures! It's good to pass those secrets along. It's life-long knowledge. (plus yummy food)

Joanne

Joanne

Adventurer
bovw said:
I'm going to have to get a DO, it's been years since I used one. I fondly remember many a good peach cobbler from my Boy Scout days.:chowtime:

Peach cobbler is one of my favorites. It's quick, easy, and always tastes great.

So, what are you waiting for? Get out and buy that oven!
icon12.gif

Joanne

marc olivares

Adventurer
i'm a bit of a D.O. fanatic as well
and i just recently perfected a leg of lamb dish that's, well, to die for...:chowtime:

joanne, i love the trailer build journal
i truly appreciate the amount of time that has gone into that little guy! :clapsmile:

Howard70

Adventurer
Experience with Cast Aluminum DOs?

We've used dutch ovens in the past and we're planning of getting back to them again. I've seen some apparently well made anodized cast aluminum Dutch Ovens. Their light weight is attractive as we're trying hard to reduce the total weight of our overall expedition camping system. However, I wonder if the higher conductivity of aluminum would make them more likely to have hot spots that would burn the food?

Anyone have experience with these cast aluminum ovens?

Howard L. Snell

dbolton

Observer
I've used aluminum DO's as a rafting and climbing guide for years. No problems - the large 20" ones are a great way to keep breakfast hot for thirty hungry clients and bake great cakes and breads.:chowtime:

Joanne

Adventurer
I haven't done any aluminum DO cooking....yet. My friends who have tried them say they work just great. At some point I'm going to be taking one (or more) home with me!

I have looked at the GSI Hard Anodized ovens and they seem very well made. The only thing I don't like is that the smaller ovens don't have legs on them. I'm guessing that is so they will pack down smaller. It's not problem really because I can set it on a lid holder and then put coals under it. (I do that with the coffee pot anyway).

If I were you I wouldn't hesitate to buy one. If you are used to cast iron, you might have to watch your coals since the aluminum transmits heat so well. I'm sure the more experienced cooks can speak to that point.

Joanne

paulj

Expedition Leader
I have the 10" hard anodized GSI DO. While it does not have legs, GSI does sell a 3 leg stand for it, so it can be used with coals above and below.

This arrangement has a couple of advantages. The oven packs more compactly, since the legs can go inside. The oven can be used on a regular stove top.

While I've used cast iron pans for years, I started baking coals using a 2 qt (8") Lodge DO. The aluminum one is a bit larger - larger in diameter, but not quite as deep. By and large it has replace the iron one for car camping. The aluminum one is lighter, and packs more compactly. I pack the oven, plus tools, some charcoal, and baking mixes in an 8 gal. Rubbermaid tote.

The GSI handle isn't quite a stable as Lodge's. That is, a pan full of water can be tippy. With dry ingredients it is stable. With semi-liquid (stew) I stabilize it with my other hand (such as holding onto the lid) just to be sure.

In practice I used the GSI oven more at home, for regular stove top and oven cooking, than with coals. Hard anodized isn't quite as nonstick as Teflon, or well seasoned iron, but is still pretty good.

paulj

Howard70

Adventurer
Thanks - "Cure" and Aluminum DO?

Thanks for the great replies about aluminum DOs. I've just purchased the GSI 10" - haven't used it yet, but the size and weight are ideal for our goals. The GSI stand wasn't available where I made the purchase, but I found a folding "DO lid stand that looks like it will work - with the added advantage of being compact.

So - those of you who have used aluminum DOs - do you cure them or not?

From what I've found on the web it is not necessary to cure them since they won't rust. However, it appears that the aluminum can be cured to provide the easy clean up and slight flavor enhancement?

Howard L. Snell

big sky trapper

Adventurer
I have one alumin. the outside is "camp fired cured" but the inside is still natural. Its pushing 10 years old. Actuall curring never seemed to make much differance, as far as clean up went or making it non stick. I did clean it ONCE, put in the bead blaster at work took it all off.....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94