Dutch Oven Cobbler

gps4

Im getting geared up to go on a 9-day/8-night road trip to Colorado and Utah to explore several national parks. 4 of the 8 nights will include camping out of my DIY adventure trailer i been working on since last september.

im considering carrying my cast iron dutch oven to use on camp nights. on eof the first dishes i wanted to make was peach cobbler, but ive never made a peach cobbler. so i figured i'd need to do a practice run before we get out on the open country.

so, fired up 28 charcoal briquettes in the old weber kettle....

640x854.jpeg.017d882d4c644647a91c49e35c558fa2

whilst the coals were getting ready, i made the cobbler-
greased the sides and bottom of the DO with stick butter...
poured in 3 cans of sliced peaches in pear juice....
evenly covered the peaches with a gluten free yellow cake mix...
topped with i stick of butter sliced and randomly placed on top....

640x854.jpeg.d7d471e8b7844c19911aa4571ee35d60

once coals were ready, i put 8 under and 20 on top and let back for 75 mins

854x640.jpeg.be35f0f6fce94213815e263112ad022a

Final product....

640x854.jpeg.3e03d457cd9d49909d438c5557561f3d

640x854.jpeg.793e3aed6faa4c9ba7d8b384d511a951

was mighty fine with a glass of ice cold milk.

Vanilla Bean ice cream would have been even better, but i didn't have any...

jeepers29

Before you go, make sure to check fire restrictions. I do believe anything but propane is banned in some parts of Co. I just read a new fire has started in the Durango area.

verdesard0g

Search and Rescue first responder
All of Arizona isin stage II fire restrictions, probably the same for most western states.

huachuca

Adventurer
Don't see a thing wrong with that but will throw out a couple of suggestions anyways - Brown sugar and cinnamon sprinkled to taste on top; Rotate lid 1/4 turn clockwise and oven a quarter turn counter clockwise every ten minutes to minimize the chance of 'hot spots'; A scoop of vanilla ice cream with each serving. We'll sometimes add a cup of fresh blueberries to the peaches

85_Ranger4x4

I just do one can of peach pie filling per box of cake mix. Mix up the cake mix like normal, stir everything around in the dutch oven.

With ice cream is good.

It was a staple in Boy Scouts, a great bedtime snack during winter camperee when it could dip into single digits at night.

Junkinduck

Observer
We add a can of lemon-lime soda. Sprite, 7-up. To 1 large can of peaches, a cake mix, butter on top. Brown sugar and cinnamon on top.

huachuca

Adventurer
Line dutch oven with parchment paper, Pour in three 21 oz cans of Lucky Leaf peach pie filling. add one box of Betty Crocker yellow cake mix over the pie filling (do not stir). sprinkle cinnamon and brown sugar to taste, cut one stick of butter into patties and drop evenly over the cake mix. Eighteen grayed charcoal brickettes around the top of the dutch oven, nine on the bottom (placed around the edge and not in the middle). Rotate the lid one quarter turn clockwise and the oven one quarter turn counter clockwise every ten minutes to minimize hot spots. It may be necessary to add more charcoal if windy, cold or when using lower grade coals. Cook for 45-60 minutes. Serve with scoop of vanilla ice cream. I'll add a cup or two of fresh blue berries to the peaches if they're available.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles