Dust proofing a DIY trailer? Is this possible?

nnnnnate

Adventurer
I am about 85% done with my build and took the trailer out last weekend to the San Rafael Swell with my club. It did really well and we had perfect weather and a great time but the dust covering everything drove me nuts. I am wondering if I have unrealistic expectations. Right now my trailer is an open top utility trailer, I'm thinking that I'll build a removable top for it and with some gaskets around the tailgate and top I'll be able to keep the dust out.

What kind of results are you guys getting with your M1xx or M416 style trailers with tops?

Box Rocket

Nate, completely sealing a trailer is doable but it can definitely take some time to get right with good seals, especially on a home build. You know I still don't have a lid on my trailer. Yes it gets dusty. Cruiserfest last year was some of the worst dust build up I've had in the trailer. EVERYTHING was covered.

However, without a lid I've been able to keep my gear mostly dust free with the use of containers. The containers also helps me organize the gear in the trailer too. I'm not using anything fancy but just some bins I found at Walmart. The lids clip closed and I've even run a wire tie through them a couple times to make sure they don't come open on their own. As is, the bins do ok keeping dust out but I used some thin foam weather stripping around the lip of the lid to create a better seal. This has been really effective.
This is the best photo I have of the bins. They're black with the yellow lids you can see here. They nest with each other nicely so they stack well and are easy to lash down.

The other thing that has been a huge help in keeping dust out of clothing (or whatever else) is my Tepui gear bags. I had these in the bed of the truck and in the trailer during Cruiserfest when the dust was into everyone's gear. I never had any dust get into these bags. These have become my favorite piece of gear. Not exactly cheap bags but worth every penny.

But if you end up building a lid with a good seal and seal up your tailgate, it will help a lot. Combine that with some of these bins or bags and you should be able to keep dust out of just about all of your gear inside the trailer.

nnnnnate

Adventurer
I can get my cooking gear and food in bins just fine and I guess I really don't mind the dust on the outside of those. What bugged me was my tent, sleeping bag, and pad getting plastered in dust.

I suppose the easy answer to that is run an RTT (I think I know a guy :)) but I'm not there yet. Are you still planning on the lid Adam or did the 80 solve your need for one? I'm not sure if I ever asked why you decided to add one.

Box Rocket

I can get my cooking gear and food in bins just fine and I guess I really don't mind the dust on the outside of those. What bugged me was my tent, sleeping bag, and pad getting plastered in dust.

I suppose the easy answer to that is run an RTT (I think I know a guy :)) but I'm not there yet. Are you still planning on the lid Adam or did the 80 solve your need for one? I'm not sure if I ever asked why you decided to add one.
I put sleeping bags in those bins too. I don't know how big your tent is when it's pack but if it would fit I'd put one in there too.

I still plan to build a lid. The 80 won't carry much gear. There not much left once we get the family and the dog in there.

SWITAWI

Doesn't Get Out Enough
Not the cheapest/simplest method, but I remember seeing that Conqueror/UEV had a heavily-filtered intake w/electric fan on the sides of some of their trailers in order to provide positive pressure inside and help prevent dust ingress. Just another idea.

pexic

Not the cheapest/simplest method, but I remember seeing that Conqueror/UEV had a heavily-filtered intake w/electric fan on the sides of some of their trailers in order to provide positive pressure inside and help prevent dust ingress. Just another idea.

The best idea IMO. And not so expensive..

DonBeasley

Adventurer
I won't say my 416 is "dustproof" but pretty close. I have a lid with a heavy duty gasket from an auto body shop my neighbor runs. It seals so tight it is sometimes hard to open the lid due to the seal. That being said I also keep most of my gear in rubbermaid tubs in the trailer. In addition to extra seal, it just helps with organization of stuff.

nnnnnate

Adventurer
When I typed "dustproof" I really didn't mean absolutely no dust at all, it was more no big gaping holes are huge gaps that the dust would come in and cover all my stuff with. I'm still going to need to strap things down so they don't bounce all over and ruin things so I'll continue to use totes. I already have some that work well enough and have a system more or less for what goes in what bin.

I'm just glad to hear that by building a top and with a big enough gasket I can get things to seal pretty well.

Thanks for the feedback.

DonBeasley

Adventurer
Pouring rain, driving at 70 mph and no leaks. All day on trails at low speed and still no dust. But to keep everything clean with blowing winds at camp the above mentioned bags or tubs are a must.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles