Duramax van 4x4 conversion?

rebar

Adventurer
Has anyone seen, or actually done a 4x4 conversion to a Duramax powered chevy van? Its to bad none of them ever came with the allison or manual trans..

Any links or details on the conversion would be appreciated.. Or details on what quigley uses to do this..

Last edited:

dsw4x4

Adventurer
I am pretty sure Boulder off road has done some conversions on duramax's I have also seen Quigley's version. It is their typical conversion 5 link coils sprung dana 60 front axle. Like all quigley stuff pretty well thought out with a little tweaking can be a bullet proof set up that you can reliably wheel the daylights out of it with minimal maintenance. However the Q version is about as rare as they come. Good luck with your hunt.

rebar

Adventurer
However the Q version is about as rare as they come. Good luck with your hunt.

So it has been done. Couldn't find any thanks.
I found a few 2wd cargo vans, and I'm guessing it would be easier to install the 4x4 instead of convert to duramax. Do you know if its pretty straight forward installing a ZF6 manual trans instead of stock 4l85-e auto trans?

dsw4x4

Adventurer
To my knowledge (but I could be wrong I am not chevy guy by any means) the express series vans did not come with a manual transmission. If it is anything like a ford van you will need to build the pedal and clutch assembly from scratch and pretty much everything will be custom. But yes I would say 4x4 conversion would be easier than converting the duramax. Although it you have some mad fab skills and a lot time a duramax 6speed 4wd van would be the bomb diggity setup when it comes to chevy vans. It would crazy resale value if it was done correct and clean and was reliable.
Derek

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles