Duracell !2v Grp 31 AMG back at Sams Club...$179

bobholthaus

Observer
Batteries Plus called again today. They ordered it for me. It will be in Friday. I'll keep you guys posted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mwilliamshs

Explorer
2 of these G31 AGM = $360 and 200 AH ($1.80/AH)
2 GC2 @ Sam's Club = $170 and 215 AH ($0.79/AH)
2 AGM GC2 @ Sam's Club = $360 and 190 AH ($1.89/AH)

Just cuz I was curious.

bobholthaus

Observer
Don't you guys think that with the different warranties between Sam's Club and Batteries Plus that these HAVE to be built a different way? If it was only price due to Sam's buying power, they'd have the same warranty. That's my thought on them. I did the "cost per month of warranty" calculation to these compared to a X2 (or whatever the brand is at Batteries Plus) and this one was the same cost per month, with lower out of pocket cost. If the Sams battery dies in 18 months, then its more expensive (by far) than this one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

crazysccrmd

Observer
Everything looks the same other than the pictures of the decals on the case and the warranty. With the Batteries Plus 10% discount it's only $20 more for an extra year of warranty.

A couple of things I notice when looking at the two batteries is that Sam's is a deep cycle Marine and Batteries Plus is an Automotive Starting battery. Marine batteries typically have a shorter warranty. The same battery labeled for Automotive use will carry a long warranty.

bobholthaus

Observer
If you look at cost divided by warranty length, the Sam's at $179 for 18 months is a $10 a month cost (if it died at 18 months). The Batteries plus at $215 after 10% discount divided into 30 months is $7.17 per month, which is 28% less expensive. That's why I went with the Batteries Plus model, which is ironically called a Duracell Ultra, while the Sam's model is called a Duracell Platinum. At the end of the day, they MAY be the exact battery, but I'll take the guaranteed 28% discount for longevity; IF the Sams model lasts the same amount of time as the Batteries Plus model, well then it would obviously be the less costly option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Scoutman

Explorer
Any more thoughts on these? I'm looking to use one as a 3rd battery in my truck (diesel has 2 already) to run fridge, a fan in rtt, and a number of lights and charger ports. I'm calculating the amp hours I need and am hoping this battery will do the trick for 48 hrs of a weekend trip.

https://www.samsclub.com/sams/duracell-agm-deep-cycle-marine-and-rv-battery-group-size-31dtmagm/prod3590232.ip?xid=plp:product:1:3

The Sams website says...

1 amp hour rate:68.2
100 amp hour rate:110
20 amp hour rate:105
3 amp hour rate:85
5 amp hour rate:86
6 amp hour rate:87.4
8 amp hour rate:90
Battery Electrolyte Composition:Glass Mat
Battery End Type:Top Post
Battery Purpose:Starting Lighting Instrumentation
BCI Group Size:31
CCA at 0 degrees F:800
Freight Class:65
MCA at 32 degrees F:1000
Minutes at 15 amps:348
Minutes at 25 amps:210
Minutes at 5 amps:1265
Minutes at 50 amps:87.4
Minutes at 75 amps:53
Minutes at 8 amps:706
Polarity:Left Positive
Reserve Capacity:200
Terminal Type:STUD/SAE
Volts:12

Can anyone interpret this for me? Does it all boil down to 100AH of use before it needs a charge?

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
Can anyone interpret this for me?

"Battery Purpose:Starting Lighting Instrumentation"

Which means intended as an engine cranking battery, not a deep cycle battery.

Does it all boil down to 100AH of use before it needs a charge?

Even if if would do 105ah being used as a deep cycle, battery life is measured in charge/discharge cycles:

lifeline_cycle_life.gif

So if you drain it all the way down, you can do that 300-400 times and the battery is junk. Drain it 50% and you can do that around 1,000 times. That's the sweet spot most people shoot for.

Flooded batteries are usually good for a few more cycles than AGM.

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
And no - it needs a charge any time it is at below 100%.

Lead-acid batteries sulfate (plate corrosion) constantly. If the electrolyte is fully saturated with electrons, it slows the sulfation almost to a standstill.

The further down you take the battery, the more the sulfation speeds up. Take it down 10-20-50% and leave it that way for days on end, you can shave years off the life of the battery.

Any time it is less than 100% it needs an immediate recharge to full. How long you decide to put it off is up to you.

Personally, I buy cheap deep cycle batteries for house loads, beat the crap out them, replace every year or two on general principles and never have to worry about trying to get long life out of them.

jonvw01

Anybody have a longer term opinion on the Duracell Ultra Platinum AGM BCI Group 31M Deep Cycle Marine & RV Battery? Looking at picking one up so figured I'd check to see if it as good of a deal as it seems. Cheers, Jon

Scoutman

Explorer
Anybody have a longer term opinion on the Duracell Ultra Platinum AGM BCI Group 31M Deep Cycle Marine & RV Battery? Looking at picking one up so figured I'd check to see if it as good of a deal as it seems. Cheers, Jon

While not really 'long' term I've had mine installed as a 3rd battery under my Dodge Ram for about a year and it's worked out just fine. It's fed via a Blue Sea ML-ACR relay, 2/0 cables, and all power runs through a Victron BMV-712 shunt so I know the status of the battery at all times. It gets charged back up to 100% almost every day and I think the lowest I've ever pulled it down was to ~65%. For the money I'd say it's been a good battery but only the next few years will really tell me how long it'll last.

9e3619323d0d9c9acf9d1da896cbaba9.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke