Duracell !2v Grp 31 AMG back at Sams Club...$179

vtsoundman

OverAnalyzer
Just an update on these batteries... installed 2017 (Feb date code) - so call it 4yrs or so...still going strong. I have the Grp 31 as a starting battery under the hood of my Jeep JKU. It has been abused with many many discharges well past 50% (yeah yeah....50% is the limit...well, only if you want to maximize cycle life. At 180$ I don't really care).

It used to run everything (fridge, comms, lights, etc). Now it just runs comms...when I work remotely, it gets used pretty hard to run a small inverter too....or when I frequently forget to turn off my mobile repeater and it gets hammered by motormouths...

Jeep has never failed to fire even when the resting voltage was kissing 11.95 on more than a few occasions...(OMG - I violated forum lore about cycle depth...the sky is falling...).
Edit: sorry for the sarcasm, there is a lot of misinformation floating around in these forums...like if you violate 50% your battery will spontaneously die...

(yes I have a jump pack that has never been used).

It gets an overnight charger about 1x month and if it sits for more than a couple of wks, it will get a charger. The Jeep has the right voltage for these batts 14.3-14.5V...could be a little higher, but otherwise fine.

As it gets closer to 5yrs in age I might swap it out...will see when I load test it this spring.

At this rate, I am way ahead of the Northstar, Odyssey, insert brand name here. (I will never run a 6-7yo starting battery in my backcountry vehicles).

They are back at Sam's Club for $179.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Last edited:

OllieChristopher

Very good deal on a high quality and cheap priced battery. I'm with you on not wanting to spend a lot of money and expect 10 or 15 years on a set of batteries. I think most guys fail to realize that it's not only deep cycling that kills batteries.

You can have the most expensive battery in the world and if it's hot under the hood and banging around off road, then getting more than 8 years is unrealistic.

Rbertalotto

Explorer
Update...I'm the OP. Have two in my camping trailer for 5 years now. Tested them a couple months ago and still perfect. I never let them go below 60% SOC. I bought three for my electric tractor conversion. I use these batteries hard. Still perfect after about 50 cycles. Price has increased at Sam's Club to $189.

vtsoundman

OverAnalyzer
Update...I'm the OP. Have two in my camping trailer for 5 years now. Tested them a couple months ago and still perfect. I never let them go below 60% SOC. I bought three for my electric tractor conversion. I use these batteries hard. Still perfect after about 50 cycles. Price has increased at Sam's Club to $189.
Awesome OP...thx for commenting too. Many times we don't hear back from folks that try these batteries (or any other long term uses. These are great batteries.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94