Dumb Question

nfpgasmask

Adventurer
Pardon my ignorance, but I have to ask. What are the wires that go from the roof rack to the front corners of some vehicles used for? I have seen this on several expedition vehicles and I am just wondering what the function is.

Here is the most obvious example:
1997_defender_p233kac_1.jpg

Thanks - Bart

Mr. Leary

Glamping Excursionaire
Limb risers. There are a number of these threads floating around. Search for "Limb Risers" and you will find some interesting, and funny discussion!

cnynrat

Expedition Leader
I think people call these limb lifters - they lift tree limbs out of the way if you are driving through the forest. :sombrero:

nfpgasmask

Adventurer
Thanks guys! I've been wondering about this for months. :rolleyes:

So, now that I know what they are for, I have to ask, do they actually work?

I copped some MAD tree rash on my rig last summer driving along a very tight overgrown trail here in NV. So I do see this kinda of action from time to time. Plus, they would probably look good on my "poor man's Defender" anyhow.

(She's still a work in progress. Light bar is next.)
48.jpg

Bart

Funrover

Expedition Leader
Yes they work, if you need them. I have a set I built. That was 5 years ago.... I have only actually used them once for intended purpose. For camping they have been super useful to hold objects, dry towels/cloths etc.

nfpgasmask

Adventurer
Cool, I may end up building some myself as well. I'm not 100% sure what I am going to do with the front end yet. I need to mod my bumper a little so I can stuff a Warn M8000 on there. I'm not sure if I will be fabbing up a brush guard as well. If I do they I will likely make up a set of "limb risers".

Thanks- Bart

UHAULER

Explorer
That is one of the nicest troopers i've seen. Limb risers are great if you need them, otherwise they are just there to look cool. One thing to consider is to keep all accesories below the cables, Imo it's kind of silly to have lights sticking up over the roof rack, a snorkel sticking up 12" over the cable, and a big antenna mounted on the front bumper, etc.

Mr. Leary

Glamping Excursionaire
Nice Trooper. That thing is so narrow, you will likely not need them for the limbs as much as the laundry (I'm told those older Troopers are narrower than newer Honda Accords).... unless you plan on doing ATV trails! :sombrero:

I'm putting them on my rig... might help with the "Country Pin Striping" :ylsmoke:

nfpgasmask

Adventurer
Thanks guys. Yeah, I just finished the 3.4 swap in my Trooper. Much more power now! :victory: Just working on tweaking a few things. It's kind of an avalanche of sorts when you start working on these older trucks.

And yes, the Trooper is very narrow compared to most SUVs around today. I love the "tall" look too. So much capacity in the thing, and with the roof rack, I basically cannot run out of room!

I am going to have a light bar in front of hte roof rack with 4 or 5 8" Hellas up there. It's gonna be sweet. I'll post some more photos when I am "done" with it.

:) Bart

nfpgasmask

Adventurer
Haven't met anyone who is "done" with their rig. :)

Yeah, hence the " "s.

You should post a build thread. Not too many older Trooper threads around!
I will, probably under the Isuzu section. I have website with mucho pics on it and several threads going over on PlanetIsuzoo.com.

Anyway, here's a couple links for you:

Main page: http://www.nofuture.com/myvx/myvx.htm

Trooper page: http://www.nofuture.com/myvx/trooper/91troop.htm

Bart

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94