Ducted heater?

Alloy

This is the concentric vent I made for our 2800 Propex.

The heater is mounted in the middle of the trailer. The concentric vent reduced the length of hot exhaust tubing running past wires and into the sidewall of the trailer. The outside pipe only gets warm to the touch.

20171127_104201.jpg

20171127_125615.jpg

Alloy

Last night it was 26F. Running all night the 2800 Propex kept a 300sqft trailer at 55F drawing 22Ah.

spressomon

Expedition Leader
We have a little trailer...and still on the fence about Propex versus Eberspaecher/Espar M2 D4R. I had a Webasto in our former Kimberley Kamper and my only real complaint was the lack of altitude correction/adjustment which the new M2 has as a built-in. I do like the ability to get diesel just about anywhere. Whereas when its time, and you're on the road, especially all things California, to refuel propane...its not near as convenient or easy.

Alloy

We have a little trailer...and still on the fence about Propex versus Eberspaecher/Espar M2 D4R. I had a Webasto in our former Kimberley Kamper and my only real complaint was the lack of altitude correction/adjustment which the new M2 has as a built-in. I do like the ability to get diesel just about anywhere. Whereas when its time, and you're on the road, especially all things California, to refuel propane...its not near as convenient or easy.
Propane is more difficult. We have a 100lb built in ASME tank. It will last weeks but when it comes time to fill some stations don't allow us to fill before 8:00am or when there is 1 attendant working.
Iinstalled the Propex to low amp backup to the original Suburban heater.

If i was starting from scratch I'd have both diesel and propane hydronic.

Delys

I was gonna get a Truma Varioheat.. but bailed on those plans and have been totally happy w/my Propex HS2800.. I needed heat sooner than later, and Trauma wont let any dealers sell direct, you have to get it installed at a dealer.. no DIY with that route.

Propex never woken me up kicking on, its not silent however.. fuel consumption will vary dramatically but it heats my 20ft trailer fine and based on rough calculations I got enough gas in my 30# tank to go at least a week or two.

Right now I have the Propex and a Wave Catalytic heater, I use em each individually or both combined.. and still way under what it'd of cost to buy the Truma if the'd of sold it direct.. I also like Propex's exhausting through the floor.

I know this post is over a year old, but I thought I would post to help future readers. I live in Canada and also hesitated between the Propex and Truma VarioHeat Eco heater, knowing that Truma doesn't sell directly to consumers in North America. I found a dealer in the UK who I ordered from https://camperinteriors.co.uk/. I also ordered the flu kit from them, but because they did not have all the Truma ducting accessories, I had to order those from https://www.leisureshopdirect.com/, including the required Truma 30mbar regulator.

Because the gas inlet on the Truma Varioheat is a male M14x1.5 thread, I ordered adapters from https://www.fittings.space/ to convert to 3/8" NPT fittings to fit with 3/8" OD copper lines, which I'm using as propane lines. Last, the inlet and outlet on the Truma regulator are M20x1.5 and M16x1.5 respectively. You'll also need adapters to converter these to NPT or NPTF threads. From here, you can now connect the flare fittings required with your 3/8" gas line, which you can easily find on McMaster's website https://www.mcmaster.com/catalog/126/226

Note: the Truma Vario heat Eco is generally meant for use with 8mm gas lines (5/16"), whereas the larger Truma Varioheat comfort is meant for use with 10mm gas lines. In North America, 5/8 are more common and easier to find fittings and adapters than 5/16", so I would recommend sizing up to 5/8" regardless of the Truma model you choose.

Hope this helps for future for anyone looking to install a Truma Vario Heat Eco heater in their camper, teardrop, boat or whatever small habitat you're looking to heat.

Dogbird

Look at Propex or Truma VarioHeat.. the latter is just released in North America and I'm already on the waiting list.

I've seen plenty of Propex's installed into tool boxes or pelican cases for RTT use.. you want something efficient power wise, most RV furnaces like dometic and suburban drain house batteries in solid wall campers overnight, in a RTT you'd need a massive battery bank to keep em online throughout the night.
Did you ever get the Truma? And did you like it?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles