Ducati 1199 Dirt Bike

MarcFJ60

Adventurer
Not a dirt bike , just a 160+ HP sport bike with TKC's on it .

I have to agree. There is neither the suspension, clearance, or ergonomics for doing anything other than mild gravel. And that kind of power, made the way I assume it does (all high end), would be a detriment in the dirt. Frankly, for the type of "trails" you could take that thing on, you might as well be on street tires anyway. At least you would get the benefits of street tires while you're on the road.

I'm not against thinking outside the box or even just making do with what you have. This seems a lot more useful it you want extreme:
ducati_terra_mostro.jpg

DucRyder

Hmmm let's see, as a long time Ducatisti and owner of a few "R" model Superbikes... I'd have to say this is one of the most idiotic ideas I've ever seen...
1. Stiff road tuned shocks and springs with limited travel
2. No ground clearance
3. Radiator location right behind the front wheel so it'll be caked with dirt/mud in a few miles possibly causing overheating issues.
4. Plastic body work to collect said mud and dirt,
5. Poor ergonomics so that every bump will be a spine rupturing experience

The only thing going for it is the powerful L twin which has lots of low end grunt. The rest seems like an idea spawned in one of Oregons burgeoning Marijuana shops.

If I wanted an "offroad" Ducati I'd go grab a Hypermotard for a hell of a lot less money and effort. If it was meant to be funny, it certainly is.

Last edited:

KiwiKurt

Explorer
I think the point of this exercise was to grab 15 minutes, which it has accomplished.....

The interesting thing I do take away from it though, is, the prevailing notion in the ADV community -at least among the 'big bikes'- is that if you dont have a GS or a KTM you cant do anything more than a cobblestone street or a dirt road really slowly. Which is, of course, idiotic considering 90% of GS's never see a day of dirt in their life and of the 10% that do, very few do difficult trails. I heard it quite a bit buying the multistrada from a couple people. My point was this- Im not taking a 20k GS on a trail that is going to assure its destruction and/or serious damage anyway. Light duty trails with a set of TKC 80's is all I'll be doing....and i think the MTS will do just fine with it. And I didnt have to give up a thing on the road. :)

jerdog53

Explorer
At least the marketing folks and BMW and KTM would like you to think you can only do it proper like on one of their bikes.....

I get the same talk from people or at least its implied "why not just get an 800GS?" I'll take mine anywhere they take theirs and then some.

KiwiKurt

Explorer
exactly. Why not get the 800 gs or get the 12GS? Because i ride 90-95% of the time on the road(and so do you), and my Duc is 10x the bike on the pavement that the BMW is....thats why. haha

I plan on shodding tkc 80's on the Multi and doing either mojave road, or the white rim trail or something on it. Its got the suspension travel for that kind of thing and it should be a good time. The Duc's enduro mode is the same parameters as enduro pro on the GS, afaik....lack of the 19" holds it back from anything serious, I think tho....

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke