Dually to SRW ...whatcha think

Saenzm

In addition to the lift, I am thinking of converting my Bornfree Dually to a SRW.

For you more experienced people, what do you think?

Heard it's better for snow and I will be running either 33s or 35s.

Thanks,
Mark

Attachments

• 20200304_114837.jpg
    20200304_114837.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 34

iggi

Ian
I've heard this line before "SRW are better for snow" . Maybe that applies for lightly loaded pickup trucks?
Only one winter in my DRW ambulance and based on performance so far I have no intention of changing to SRW... and I'm up in Canada. No lack of snow here.

Alloy

The set up that has the highest surface contact pressure ( without damaging the tires) per square inch is best.

billiebob

6 inch lift going on.
And ??
You sure a 6" lift will clear the rear fiberglass or let you steer? Heres a 4 " lift, stock rubber, 235/85R16s, 31" tall....
but you know this. Without moving the front axle ahead, you will not clear the back of the front wheel opening. And just measure how long the rear wheel well opening is. Plus add in a regear.

IMG_8989.jpeg

This is a pipe dream. Not happening with the vehicle in the post. There is physically not enough room. But you have a great vehicle, even with stock rubber.

20200304_114837.jpg

But, to the point. 6 winter tires will out perform 4 of any LT AT/MT whatever. Ford built a well balanced vehicle. Converting to Super Singles and lifting it to fit them will cost more than buying a new vehicle which meets your spec. And likely still not perform better than it does now. Listen to the guy running 6, 235/85R16s.

Last edited:

Saenzm

I'll post follow up pics. Sweet rig by the way. I know a guy running the Baja GROCERY getter on his Chinook and he runs 35s.

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
If you search on my posts from long ago you will find one on putting 35” SRW singles on a Quigley ambulance. It did require some massaging of the fender well but I did not have to shift the axle.

Not sure about being better in snow but there are a whole lot of advantages to SWR as long as you correctly select suitable fires.

whith

Single contact patches in the rear allowing more pressure per is the best set up for on road snow and ice conditions. It’s a bit counter intuitive at first but spreading the weight out over multiples tires per actually allows to tires to slip more easily.

iggi

Ian
This would apply if the contact patch of the SRW was smaller than the combined DRW contact patch yes?
Mostly when I see SRW conversions it is to a much larger tire which would seem to have a larger individual contact patch.
Big tires are cool, but I'm curious if anyone is actually seeing an improvement in snow or mud traction when upgrading to a 35x12.50 single rear tire compared to the standard commercial dually sizes.

Single contact patches in the rear allowing more pressure per is the best set up for on road snow and ice conditions. It’s a bit counter intuitive at first but spreading the weight out over multiples tires per actually allows to tires to slip more easily.

rruff

Explorer
This would apply if the contact patch of the SRW was smaller than the combined DRW contact patch yes?

Tire *pressure* and load are the biggest factors in contact patch area. A narrow tire will have a longer patch and a wider tire a shorter one.

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
"I'm curious if anyone is actually seeing an improvement in snow or mud traction when upgrading to a 35x12.50 single rear tire compared to the standard commercial dually sizes."

I cannot give good feedback on snow but definitely an improvement in mud. And much better with rocks and depressed wheel rut type tracks.

Here is the rig on 35" and you can see where I had to cut the fender back to get clearance. But the axle stayed in the factory position (Quigley).

P8111581.jpeg

And here is one of my reasons for not running DRW on a vehicle used offroad.IMG_2794.jpegIMG_2795.jpegP8111581.jpegIMG_2794.jpegIMG_2795.jpeg

rruff

Explorer
Here is the rig on 35" and you can see where I had to cut the fender back to get clearance. But the axle stayed in the factory position (Quigley).

I have no experience with these vans, but if you aren't shy about trimming plastic and sheet metal... and maybe even a little angle grinding on the frame, you can make a lot of things fit.

Nice looking ambo!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier