Dually or single rear wheel?

RoyJ

Adventurer
Some of the larger German cities will not allow you to enter unless you have a green certified sticker showing that your vehicle meets local emision standards. Driving in without the sticker can give some hefty fines...:Wow1:

They should give tourists a break to be fair. I've seen a Scania overland truck in North Van, if we nit pick I'm sure it doesn't meet BC safety laws.

Questions - how to VW TDis enter German cities? Haha, couldn't help it...

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Axle width/spring perch width, etc all come into play.

Many these days have a second tire inboard, instead of outboard, making the overall track width the same as a SRW.

This means the spring perches are narrower, and in many cases the axle width is narrower as well.

Dalko43

Explorer
Axle width/spring perch width, etc all come into play.

Many these days have a second tire inboard, instead of outboard, making the overall track width the same as a SRW.

This means the spring perches are narrower, and in many cases the axle width is narrower as well.

Okay I get that, but the all the duallies I've seen for the Ram 3500's had wider tracks in the rear. I haven't seen any with the inboard wheels you are talking about.

Nomads365

A Most Adventurous Couple
Okay I get that, but the all the duallies I've seen for the Ram 3500's had wider tracks in the rear. I haven't seen any with the inboard wheels you are talking about.
I have a 2007 Ram 5.9L 3500 dually. Yes, the rear axle is 6" wider than the SRW axle. The front hubs use spacers so one wheel can be used in any position on the truck, and so the tracking lines up with the rear.

Also, for the Ram, model year 2007 is the last year available with the 5.9L Cummins. For 2007 Rams you will find both non-ULSD 5.9L Cummins, and ULSD 6.7L Cummins. I specifically located a 5.9L for the non-ULSD setup as we intend to take it to S. America in the future.

Ozymandias

Observer
Thanks! Unfortunately, I can't find a good answer to that. I doubt that police will check (or know what to check) when we're driving around in Europe but better safe than sorry of course.

Does anyone have any knowledge of their rig (which would be registered in the US or outside of Europe) actually being checked when traveling? Since emissions are handled "where the car is registered", I don't know why/when police would actually check.

I'm from Switzerland and I can tell you for sure that no one ever will smog your vehicle on the Road in Europe.
You are safe with your deleted truck as long as it don't make smoke like a ship.

So, happy traveling.

Ozy

Ozymandias

Observer
There are other road laws that are far more important to be known.

Absolutely don't overtake on the right side, big no-no and very expensive.
And also don't turn right on red traffic lights, also absolutely prohibited.
And last but not least, Vehicle over 3.5 metric tons have different speed limits then posted on the road, every country has their own limits, most of the time it is 100Km/h on the Freeways, but sometimes only 80Km/h.
As a rule of thumb, drive as fast as the 18 Wheeler and you'll always be on the safe side.

Ozymandias

Observer
They should give tourists a break to be fair. I've seen a Scania overland truck in North Van, if we nit pick I'm sure it doesn't meet BC safety laws.

Questions - how to VW TDis enter German cities? Haha, couldn't help it...

They don't really enforce that law, I drive as a tourist in every city and don't care about it. Never get a ticket and it's hard to find someone that has paid one. Just hot air...

Meili

Adventurer
Just another thought, I would try and get narrow.

My wife and I spent a couple weeks exploring Europe in a Renault 5. Even with a car that small , some towns were a challenge.

I recall having to fold in the mirrors when driving in a town in Belgium (I think).

Some of the switchbacks along the Rhine would be interesting it a wide truck.

I like getting off the beaten path which I assume you would to being the focus of this site.

You may be limiting where you can go in a dually.

Ozymandias

Observer
European Campervans have the same wide as a US Dually, you'll find your way.
Need to get used to narrower roads in general, everything is tiny over here, exept the taxes, they are HUGE.

And another very important information - you are not allowed to be wider than 255cm! If you are wider dont even try it with your Cabin.

RoyJ

Adventurer
Thanks for the insight on EU driving!

Guessing strict rules like no passing on right is what makes Europeans drivers better than North American drivers, in general.

KE7JFF

Adventurer
I seem to remember that I think the Ram diesels is sold in Europe or at least the UK....

Well, I take that back....Ram is only sold in via officials dealers in Iceland...looks like there is some importers that get the Ram 1500 to Europe, but I could of sworn in the in 90s, there was a bigger dealer network that sold the diesels...

Last edited:

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Jornvango- where in ASIA are you thinking of going? This is the bigger question in my mind. The dually vs srw issue isn't huge, but the dpf issue may be. I'm not sure but getting ULSD in some remote areas of Asia may be a challenge. I would try and find somebody who has actually been where you want to go (preferably in a fairly modern diesel) and get the REAL info. We can all speculate on what SHOULD be available, but reality is often very different when you get into the darker parts of the Asian continent.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles