Dual sport suggestions

jkam

nomadic man
I'm kind of old school.
I like the Kawasaki Super Sherpa. It's pretty much bullet proof, geared low so you can do some technical trails if you choose.
Mine is set up as a toad for my RV, so has a top case and is geared a bit higher for road use. I'd take it around the world with a few upgrades
like more fuel and some decent soft bags.
Not the easiest to find, but once you have one, you won't let go of it.
Nice bike if you are short of stature as well, with a fairly low seat.
It's a get on it and ride bike, so low maintenance and easy to work on.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
I'm kind of old school.
I like the Kawasaki Super Sherpa. It's pretty much bullet proof, geared low so you can do some technical trails if you choose.
Mine is set up as a toad for my RV, so has a top case and is geared a bit higher for road use. I'd take it around the world with a few upgrades
like more fuel and some decent soft bags.
Not the easiest to find, but once you have one, you won't let go of it.
Nice bike if you are short of stature as well, with a fairly low seat.
It's a get on it and ride bike, so low maintenance and easy to work on.

They are cool bikes and very hard to find these days. Under powered by most modern standards but super reliable and low maintenance. I know if I come across one locally I will pick it up for the right price, it'll make a great farm bike.

jkam

nomadic man
Australia has a farm version called the Stockman.
It has a bunch of racks on it and an extra sidestand on the other side to hold the bike upright.
2012-kawasaki-stockman-25-11.jpg

TheSweatyButcher

Adventurer
No need to keep "street tires" on a SM version bike if that's what you find... My wife's SM style Honda CRF230M is a little billy goat on the tight trails, and is awesome on sandy trails too! It's also several inches lower than a normal dual sport or dirt bike, which is perfect for her.

View attachment 594624

Hopefully pshycle checks back in if he does any test rides and gives us his thoughts.
I’m thinking of going this route with a Klx300sm. Seems like a lot of low maintenance fun. I need to find the right tires for mountain twistys and fire roads.

F5driver

Adventurer
I love my husky 501. Does well in everything from mountain single track to fast Desert whoops. Purrs along at 60+ mph with stock 14/48 gearing

Mules

I've been thinking about a light trail bike that would fit on the back of my Jeep Gladiator camper. I finally went to my local big motorcycle dealer and checked out Dual Sports and Adventure Bikes.

The Kawasaki KLR Adventure is definitely a great deal for a big touring bike, all rigged out for $7-$8K. Definitely big enough for me at 6'2" and 210 lb. Just too heavy and big for my trail riding.

Screen Shot 2023-03-25 at 7.45.51 PM.png

The KTM390 Adventure is the coolest bike in this price range around $6K. Feels a lot more like a street bike than for trails. Too short on the suspension for me.

Screen Shot 2023-03-25 at 7.47.09 PM.png

The Kawasaki KLX300 is my winner for best value, street legal trail bike for your trailer hitch rack. Light enough for me to easily pick up (300lb), water cooled, fuel injected, low maintenance and runs around $6K. Tall enough for me, with plenty of suspension to hit the trails.

Screen Shot 2023-03-25 at 7.43.19 PM.png

But....

Here's the one that wins over my heart. How can a 500cc Dual Sport KTM weigh less than the Kawasaki KLX300 at only 250lbs?! The KTM 500 EXC is hands down the best performing dual sport there is. The only problem is the price tag at $12.5K! Ouch...

Screen Shot 2023-03-25 at 8.09.45 PM.png

Sponsored

Last edited:

jkam

nomadic man
The Kawasaki KLX is the best choice for hauling with The Jeep.
Probably the most fun too, when considering that all KTM's are pretty high strung and require a lot more maintaining than most bikes.

With all the emission requirements these days, it's not easy find bikes that aren't water cooled and fuel injected.
I like fuel injection but would rather not have to deal with a radiator, water pump and assorted hoses when out exploring.

nickw

Adventurer
I've been thinking about a light trail bike that would fit on the back of my Jeep Gladiator camper. I finally went to my local big motorcycle dealer and checked out Dual Sports and Adventure Bikes.

The Kawasaki KLR Adventure is definitely a great deal for a big touring bike, all rigged out for $7-$8K. Definitely big enough for me at 6'2" and 210 lb. Just too heavy and big for my trail riding.

The KTM390 Adventure is the coolest bike in this price range around $6K. Feels a lot more like a street bike than for trails. Too short on the suspension for me.

Screen Shot 2023-03-25 at 7.47.09 PM.png

The Kawasaki KLX300 is my winner for best value, street legal trail bike for your trailer hitch rack. Light enough for me to easily pick up (300lb), water cooled, fuel injected, low maintenance and runs around $6K. Tall enough for me, with plenty of suspension to hit the trails.

Screen Shot 2023-03-25 at 7.43.19 PM.png

But....

Here's the one that wins over my heart. How can a 500cc Dual Sport KTM weigh less than the Kawasaki KLX300 at only 250lbs?! The KTM 500 EXC is hands down the best performing dual sport there is. The only problem is the price tag at $12.5K! Ouch...

Screen Shot 2023-03-25 at 8.09.45 PM.png

Sponsored
Best performing probably goes to Beta 500RR, it's not as detuned as the KTM is from the factory and make quite a bit more power without mods. Those KTM's (I've had several) are great bikes but need ~$800 worth of stuff to get them performing to their potential, ECU, Muffler/Insert, Smog delete....

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
Xt250 is a pretty great bike for exploring around. Air cooled but fuel injected. 5 speed, low weight etc. Great bike that's unfairly over shadowed by the crf300l and klx300s.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper

I looked at a KLR Adventure as well a couple months ago. Seemed like a lot of bike for the money.
But I decided I didn't want a thumper due to what I read about highway riding characteristics.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles