Dual sport suggestions

phsycle

Adventurer
Looking at getting a dual sport bike. Haven't had one for years. I'm not looking for one of those bigger machines. Something light, manuverable to take on mostly day trips, maybe occasional overnighters.

What I'm looking for:
* Smaller size for manuverability, transport, etc.
* Street legal in the US
* Geared low (I may just have to regear to my liking)
* EFI
* Most trips, I'll be transporting the bike with the truck, where I'll be basecamped. So big CC for high-speed is not required.

Where I'd be riding:
* Utah, Colorado, Arizona, Wyoming. Mostly fireroads and some tech-ish trails (think Black Bear Pass, Engineer in Colorado)
* Most trips would be mostly dirt, but would need to ride on the road in between trails.

Few bikes came up on research. One I thought of was a KTM 350 exc-f

I've not ridden a KTM, but looking at specs, seems to check off a lot of boxes. A bit expensive, but there are some leftover '18's that could work, budget wise.

Any others I should look at?

1566836949617.png

Cummins_expo

Adventurer
I ride the KTM 350 exc-f and it is everything you mentioned. Can ride the highway ( doesn't love it) But does single, two-track, fire roads like a champ. The only complaint is the service intervals. Unless you are looking for a "plated" dirt bike I would look at something like the WR250r. It really depends on what kind of riding do like to do.
Plated Dirt Bikes
KTM 350/500
Beta 390/430 RRS
Husqvarna fe 350/450

Dual Sport
Wr250r
Drz400
Dr650
TW200

phsycle

Adventurer
I ride the KTM 350 exc-f and it is everything you mentioned. Can ride the highway ( doesn't love it) But does single, two-track, fire roads like a champ. The only complaint is the service intervals. Unless you are looking for a "plated" dirt bike I would look at something like the WR250r. It really depends on what kind of riding do like to do.
Plated Dirt Bikes
KTM 350/500
Beta 390/430 RRS
Husqvarna fe 350/450

Dual Sport
Wr250r
Drz400
Dr650
TW200

Thanks. I think I am leaning to more of a plated dirt bike than dual sport. Most of the riding will be on dirt. I looked at some of the bikes you mentioned (WR250, DR, TW), but none really appeal to me for various reasons. I think I will pursue the KTM. I don't ride a ton (family, work, etc), so I'm hoping just an annual maintenance schedule would suffice.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
I'd pick a new Beta over a current KTM/Husky. I rode a buddies new Beta 390RR-S in Colorado last month and I was pretty impressed, the power was extremely linear, the 430 would be the same but with more power (390 would be my choice). I will be adding a two-stroke to the mix in the spring and Beta is at the top of the list.

I have a 450L that does everything you listed, it can be built to be a Super Moto, run geared up as a lightweight dual sport, or stripped down (how I have mine) as a plated Enduro. Unlike the KTM 350, it is very comfortable on the road for a dirt bike. Definitely another option to look into.

Wallygator

Adventurer
I also have a Honda 450L and it is a very fun dual sport. For my more dirt oriented rides I have a Sherco 300i SEF-R Factory Edition. A great bike and this thing is a like an assault weapon in the woods. Check em out.

dreadlocks

I've got a DR350 4 stroke and I find it too heavy for Colorado single track trails, I've been eyeballing the KTM 350.. its a good 50lbs lighter.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
I also have a Honda 450L and it is a very fun dual sport. For my more dirt oriented rides I have a Sherco 300i SEF-R Factory Edition. A great bike and this thing is a like an assault weapon in the woods. Check em out.

I wish there were Sherco dealers in the area just so I could check one out let alone think about buying one lol.

Wallygator

Adventurer
I wish there were Sherco dealers in the area just so I could check one out let alone think about buying one lol.

Yeah that is the only unfortunate thing about them. I was able to check them out because a friend of mine has two of them. They are a high quality machine. I order parts online from the U.S. distributor of the bikes. NXT Off Road. They are in Texas (by Denton/Wichita Falls I think..904 area code) so you should be able to check out some bikes there.. Your best bet would be to goto one of their ride days. Their 300 two stroke is a beast. Here is the link...

https://shercooffroad.com/

Wallygator

Adventurer
Unfortunately that's 6-7 hours away, not exactly convenient.

Yeah it would then have to be a stop on a trip or something for you. I actually wish the place was that close to me but it may be for the better since I would probably want to throw down on a new 2019 since I'm sure they will be running some good deals soon.

nickw

Adventurer
First bike that jumped out was the 350 EXCF, but dont discount the 250s EXCF either...leftover ones or used ones are very affordable. Its plenty of bike for most conditions except for high speed desert or 65+ sustained on hwy.

I have one and get #$^= all the time for riding it from my buds, but never any problems keeping up on DS rides and it works great in the woods.

I think the 350 is a better all around bike, but 250 works great if slightly more offroad biased.

nickw

Adventurer
I'd pick a new Beta over a current KTM/Husky. I rode a buddies new Beta 390RR-S in Colorado last month and I was pretty impressed, the power was extremely linear, the 430 would be the same but with more power (390 would be my choice). I will be adding a two-stroke to the mix in the spring and Beta is at the top of the list.

I have a 450L that does everything you listed, it can be built to be a Super Moto, run geared up as a lightweight dual sport, or stripped down (how I have mine) as a plated Enduro. Unlike the KTM 350, it is very comfortable on the road for a dirt bike. Definitely another option to look into.
The Beta's are super cool and I like the BYB options....but unless you live somewhere where there is big dealer support, I'd err on the side of KTM/Husq. I know several guys that ride both the 4 and 2 stroke Betas here locally, we have a really big support network relative to a lot of places and it's still not nearly as easy as getting parts as it is for the other bikes. I'd go through the (slight) hassle here cause I really like the bikes, but someplace else, where it's even more difficult....I don't think I'd be up for it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles