Dual sport suggestions

jkam

nomadic man
I'm kind of old school.
I like the Kawasaki Super Sherpa. It's pretty much bullet proof, geared low so you can do some technical trails if you choose.
Mine is set up as a toad for my RV, so has a top case and is geared a bit higher for road use. I'd take it around the world with a few upgrades
like more fuel and some decent soft bags.
Not the easiest to find, but once you have one, you won't let go of it.
Nice bike if you are short of stature as well, with a fairly low seat.
It's a get on it and ride bike, so low maintenance and easy to work on.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
I'm kind of old school.
I like the Kawasaki Super Sherpa. It's pretty much bullet proof, geared low so you can do some technical trails if you choose.
Mine is set up as a toad for my RV, so has a top case and is geared a bit higher for road use. I'd take it around the world with a few upgrades
like more fuel and some decent soft bags.
Not the easiest to find, but once you have one, you won't let go of it.
Nice bike if you are short of stature as well, with a fairly low seat.
It's a get on it and ride bike, so low maintenance and easy to work on.

They are cool bikes and very hard to find these days. Under powered by most modern standards but super reliable and low maintenance. I know if I come across one locally I will pick it up for the right price, it'll make a great farm bike.

jkam

nomadic man
Australia has a farm version called the Stockman.
It has a bunch of racks on it and an extra sidestand on the other side to hold the bike upright.

TheSweatyButcher

Adventurer
No need to keep "street tires" on a SM version bike if that's what you find... My wife's SM style Honda CRF230M is a little billy goat on the tight trails, and is awesome on sandy trails too! It's also several inches lower than a normal dual sport or dirt bike, which is perfect for her.

View attachment 594624

Hopefully pshycle checks back in if he does any test rides and gives us his thoughts.
I’m thinking of going this route with a Klx300sm. Seems like a lot of low maintenance fun. I need to find the right tires for mountain twistys and fire roads.

F5driver

Adventurer
I love my husky 501. Does well in everything from mountain single track to fast Desert whoops. Purrs along at 60+ mph with stock 14/48 gearing