Dual Battery Tray for Tacoma, 4Runner and T100

TangoBlue

American Adventurist
Good install PHXtaco - you had some challenges but you noodled them out with some good solutions. Sorry that original option we talked about didn't turn out; still scratching my head why the boss didn't pursue it.

Thanks for answering my questions. Yeah, I'm not a fan of things unsecured. On my build we put in a couple nut-serts on the stock fender bracket, beveled the holes and put in some flathead Allen bolts to keep the tray from moving. Might not be an issue for 98% of wheelers, but I'm thinking washboard roads and descening rock ledges to loosen that top mount. Murphy's Law might be just enough to shake the battery loose and I don't want to be a victim to that 2% especially in that tight space.

But as I've learned... nothing is ever just "bolt-in," right? Thanks for chronicling your experience so well -- others will benefit from it.

slamunion

I have been running the Odyssey setup on my 04 double with no issues. What I think by looking are you write up and pics that I did different was I had cut the lower mounting foot off the fuse box to help move the battery tray closer to the firewall. I don't understand why you are having a clearance issue with the fuse box, my top plate sat about 1/4 inch above the fuse box until i tighten it down and it just barley touches the top of the fuse box. We do now have instructions for the install I will email them to you. I haven't tried the Die hard battery's cause by the look they might be to big cause the Odyssey are a tight fit as it is. I will check or stock and make sure there isn't a manufacturing difference, between what I have and what you should have got. The fact the Sears battery's are taller should have made the top plate sit higher than the Odyssey's. Hopefully the Instructions will help you, sorry for the problems. Let us know.

Last edited:

PHXtaco

Adventurer
Got the tray installed, and the batteries mounted and wired. It all works! :wings:

And I did NOT have to cut the lower mounting foot off the fuse box (though I did have to tweak it). I will post up a new thread on the install later.

I finished just in time too! Tomorrow my wife and I are headed up to Oregon and Washington to visit family over the next week. Nothing like a big trip for an inaugural test run! (Fingers crossed!)

robert

Expedition Leader
Where you were worried about that bolt rubbing on the battery why not just put a piece of scrap metal on the battery to keep it from contacting? That or use one of those threaded nutsert things on the shroud and put the bolt in from the backside. Just wondering. It's a good looking setup though and I definitely need a second battery.

lwg

Got the tray installed, and the batteries mounted and wired. It all works! :wings:

And I did NOT have to cut the lower mounting foot off the fuse box (though I did have to tweak it). I will post up a new thread on the install later.

I finished just in time too! Tomorrow my wife and I are headed up to Oregon and Washington to visit family over the next week. Nothing like a big trip for an inaugural test run! (Fingers crossed!)

If you happen to be swinging through Central Oregon stop in and say Hi!

BTW, we have finally updated our website to include the installation instructions. These should help make the install less painful for others in the future. They are available here: http://www.columbiaoverland.com/tech-articles

PHXtaco

Adventurer
If you happen to be swinging through Central Oregon stop in and say Hi!

Might just be headed though Bend after Christmas. If so, will be sure to swing by your shop.
[Sent from the truck while driving through Depoe Bay OR]

lwg

Might just be headed though Bend after Christmas. If so, will be sure to swing by your shop.
[Sent from the truck while driving through Depoe Bay OR]

Ahh, you took the coastal scenic route to Washington. Hope you can make it by!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94