Dual Battery System Management Recommendations?

BeachBoy

I'm currently setting up my system and I think I'll use perfect switch. as it doe snot dissipate any heat, the hellroaring has that huge heat sink so somewhere it has to loose heat (so power)

I might be the only one that gives a negative vote to National Luna, but a guy in the club had one in his FJ and it worked well for a summer, then went sour. It required a new battery, then a new solenoid, and it seems that wasn't the problem. Basically something broke somewhere... He just ditched everything and now is not very happy with all the money spent...

For me reliability is quite important and this one case, maybe isolated, is too close to me to not consider.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
I'm currently setting up my system and I think I'll use perfect switch. as it doe snot dissipate any heat, the hellroaring has that huge heat sink so somewhere it has to loose heat (so power)

I might be the only one that gives a negative vote to National Luna, but a guy in the club had one in his FJ and it worked well for a summer, then went sour. It required a new battery, then a new solenoid, and it seems that wasn't the problem. Basically something broke somewhere... He just ditched everything and now is not very happy with all the money spent...

For me reliability is quite important and this one case, maybe isolated, is too close to me to not consider.

Did he ever find out what failed? They are very easy to troubleshoot. Sounds like his problem could have just as well been related to some other aspect of the installation or auxiliary part? Did it stop charging the second battery? Fail to disconnect? What was it doing? Bummer to hear he wasn't happy with but I would love to know more details if you can... I got a little seminar from the National Luna rep last fall when he was in the US for SEMA... there are some really simple things (bad ground or not installing the Intel Solenoid ground last) that can trigger an error. Often its an easy fix. There is an internal fuse in the unit that can blow if polarity is mixed up, a battery shorts or the alternator nukes. Its easily replaced and Paul & Equipt has the parts you would need to make it look as good as new. If I were you I would offer to buy it, afterall a crappy unit could only be worth $50 :D

Keep in mind there were some 'knock off' National Luna Dual Battery System kits that hit the market a couple years back, lesser quality components... might he have bought his on eBay?

Last edited:

T4Rfun

I have the National Luna system. I've had it in my 06 4Runner for about a year now and run two Odyssey deep cycle batteries. I was impressed with it from the moment I opened the box. Everything is included, quality, and the install couldn't have been more simple. The system is quality all the way and it remains working without a problem even though I regularly thrash my truck in all types of off road and weather conditions. I got it from Paul at Equipt Expedition Outfitters.

I'm not trying to pile onto your post or your firend for that matter, but I did want to point out that the National Luna system is a rock solid system, well proven and many here use it without trouble.

one more vote for National Luna.

Last edited:

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
What does the basic NL system offer that a marine switch and an ACR/VSR combo does not? I'm not seeing any advantage in what I know about them thus far.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
In-cab control and monitor. Low battery alarm, overcharge alarm. So you get the benefits of the ACR with the switching abilities of the marine switch and the low voltage disconnect abilities of the VSR. Its not so much the setup so much as the packaging. A neat and tidy solenoid/circut combo, and a very asthetic in cab controller/monitor that can be unplugged, tucket away in the glove box or hard mounted (has a 'click' in mount on the back). Add the fact they use high quality components (silicone layered battery cables, Hello fuse assemblies, etc) and its a good value for those looking for a complete 'kit'. No doubt it could be replicated, likely for much less, but not in a DIY ready to install package. :D

BeachBoy

Did he ever find out what failed? They are very easy to troubleshoot. Sounds like his problem could have just as well been related to some other aspect of the installation or auxiliary part? Did it stop charging the second battery? Fail to disconnect? What was it doing? Bummer to hear he wasn't happy with but I would love to know more details if you can... I got a little seminar from the National Luna rep last fall when he was in the US for SEMA... there are some really simple things (bad ground or not installing the Intel Solenoid ground last) that can trigger an error. Often its an easy fix. There is an internal fuse in the unit that can blow if polarity is mixed up, a battery shorts or the alternator nukes. Its easily replaced and Paul & Equipt has the parts you would need to make it look as good as new. If I were you I would offer to buy it, afterall a crappy unit could only be worth $50 :D

Keep in mind there were some 'knock off' National Luna Dual Battery System kits that hit the market a couple years back, lesser quality components... might he have bought his on eBay?

I will ask him more details, he's not online so I can't get him here.

Basically it worked fine and I was jealous, then it stopped working and killed his second battery twice.

He think it might be because it was mounted sideways, it is "better" to mount vertically but nothing says not to put it horizontally... Looks like something in the controller failed, but it did cost him batteries and a solenoid to find out.

I'll keep you posted when I get details.

TrailTrackers

Observer
Bunch of great! information here. Thanks to everyone for taking the time to post all this. I'm in the market for a dual battery system and came here looking for guidance.

However, I have one question though... Which one should I get? :smiley_drive:

There are so many systems avail. and lots of people on here have made great cases while advocating for the system that they chose for their rig. Maybe I should just flip a coin.

I'm going to sleep on this overnight and revisit it in the morning. Maybe I'll read all these threads again for good measure. Thanks guys.

ert01

Adventurer
It really just comes down to how much user input you want to have over your system and how much you want automated and also how much you want to spend. They will ALL work better then a single battery setup. I personally prefer the KISS method simply because of the low cost and the ease of fixing it if something goes wrong out there.

But I'm sure that someone who has more money then me will say differently. :)

Expedition Key

Adventurer
Ok, I've read and read probably 14 hours across the web on dual battery setups in the last two days. my conclusion: I'm tired and my head is spinning.

I'm buying two new batteries tomorrow (another thread) and I'd like to go ahead and set them up.

After all I've read..., and keep in mind I'm fried, I really don't see any of them fitting my needs. I think they are brilliant and my hats off to all those with the creativity ingenuity, and time/money to implement such setups but I always lean towards simpler is better. Thanks for all the priceless input , you are all really doing a great service in educating us all.

1.) I want something super simple but I don't want to have to remember switching from both to A to B and so on.
2.) I want my batteries isolated and I want both always charging
3.)I want an easy setup/low cost
4.)I don't mind spending a couple of minutes connecting the batteries with jumper cables in the event that one battery is dead, it happens maybe once every couple of years.

My plan is to run a Powergate charging the batteries, Cranking battery left wired to oem stuff, and everything else wired off the deep cycle aux.

Am I missing something or is this not a super easy/inexpensive/durable setup?

http://www.perfectswitch.com/power-gate/battery-discharge-controllers/dual-rectifier-isolator/

Thanks,
Kye

Attachments

• Powergate.gif
    Powergate.gif
    21.2 KB · Views: 159

TrailTrackers

Observer
Benchmark Designs

Here's one that I think was missed in this thread. I found this one a while back and had it linked as a favorite. From the looks of it, I would include this kit into the KISS category I think.

Benchmark Dual Battery System

Benchmark Dual Battery Tray.

However, before purchasing the complete Benchmark kit, I would suggest reading this write-up. According to this guy, and if Benchmark has not fixed the problem, you lose your acc. key position. The Benchmark Ad does indeed specify "batteries are connected when key is on, batteries are isolated when key is off" though so maybe that's how they designed it. This isn't a configuration I would want though.

Right now I'm leaning toward purchasing just the Benchmark Dual Battery Tray, and getting that installed in the near future.

Thanks for the additional information Kye; I've got some more reading to do I guess.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94