Dual Battery 3.6 with snorkel

Ive heard there are some dual battery kits that wont fit in the 3.6 with the Rugged Ridge Snorkel. Something about the tube routing.
Anyone have input on this?
Is there a better place to put the 2nd battery?

Last edited:
I dont see wont for the 3.6 engine. according to the Rugged Ridge site they stop at 2011

http://www.ruggedridge.com/dual-battery-tray-11214-53.html said:
This dual battery tray from Rugged Ridge is powder coated black and fits 07-11 Jeep Wrangler (JK). Will not fit 2012 or later Wrangler.

Actually the more I think about it something liket he ARKPAK might be better for me. The fridge will be either in the trailer or in the jeep. going to a mobile battery would allow me a modular setup.

rubicon91

Explorer
Oscar not sure if you know but Genesis has a universal tray that you can mount anywhere. I have the dual battery tray it is tight in there not sure if a RR snorkel could fit.

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
There is some really awesome battery stuff out there, like the Arkpak, Goal Zero, etc. Looking dollar for dollar, and pros/cons of each system (standard dual battery setup, versus the newer units), I'm starting to lean towards these aftermarket packs myself. Especially in conjunction with solar.
In the mean time, I stuck a big arsed battery in the stock battery box. It feeds the Jeep, and all the camping goodies very well so far. :)

JCDriller

Adventurer
There is some really awesome battery stuff out there, like the Arkpak, Goal Zero, etc. Looking dollar for dollar, and pros/cons of each system (standard dual battery setup, versus the newer units), I'm starting to lean towards these aftermarket packs myself. Especially in conjunction with solar.
In the mean time, I stuck a big arsed battery in the stock battery box. It feeds the Jeep, and all the camping goodies very well so far. :)

Scott, I am too. Have you checked out the Ankor Powerhouse lithium unit? I was pretty stuck on a dual battery set up, but this may be changing my mind. 400wh of lithium power at 9lbs and way smaller than ARKPAK. A group 31 under the hood and a Powerhouse in back connected with an anderson plug, a one way battery isolator and solar seems like a sweet set up.

I assume you wouldn't want to directly connect your AGM battery and the Lithium unit.

Last edited:

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
You are right sir! They have different charge characteristics, so "Got to keep them separated" (as the Offspring sing).
I haven't looked at this yet for the Jeep, as the 31M is doing all that is needed. But, the trips have been short and solo with very low loads on the battery.
There is a lot of testing going on for the commercial/industrial side use of Lithium based batteries (Polymer and Ion). Some great stuff that will trickle down, and should also help with pricing.
Hoping that hits about the same time I'm in the market (about a year or so). :)

JCDriller

Adventurer
You are right sir! They have different charge characteristics, so "Got to keep them separated" (as the Offspring sing).
I haven't looked at this yet for the Jeep, as the 31M is doing all that is needed. But, the trips have been short and solo with very low loads on the battery.
There is a lot of testing going on for the commercial/industrial side use of Lithium based batteries (Polymer and Ion). Some great stuff that will trickle down, and should also help with pricing.
Hoping that hits about the same time I'm in the market (about a year or so). :)

I'm not so happy with my current single battery. during our last week long trip I would frequently wake up in the morning and see the battery around 11.9 volts, not good. I'd run the engine for 30 min to recharge as needed. However, now that I'm home I'm still seeing 12.2-12.3v in the morning when I go out to start my Jeep and I'm not running the fridge. My electrical system is isolated so I have no more parasitic draw than factory. I think my 6month old battery may be on its way out...

Before I being my trailer build I've got to the get the battery situation figured out. Like usual I'll likely go overboard with dual batteries and then add an Ankor powerhouse to run my fridge when in a bear box.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior