Dual Alternator Setup??

Jb1rd

Explorer
Thanks to the ever wise and helpful 1DER I found out that my rig has a factory dual alternator setup, what are the advantages of this going forward? I removed the frame mounted box and aux battery because it was DEAD, like the original battery from the factory DEAD and was going to replace with a Yellow Top I had sitting on the battery tender. Question, what does that second battery supply? I think I asked this when I found out I had the factory block heater/aux batt but not sure that it was answered. Why would I need the block heater on a gasser? Can you repurpose the block heater for other uses?

flightcancled

Explorer
In the ambulances we have the dual alternators and house batteries paired with an inverter and a throttle control unit. This combo gives you a ton of on demand power without having to deal with a generator. I've used it to run multiple power tools at the same time, it could probably also handle a microwave or small AC unit.

It also gets your batteries charged very quickly if you are looking to avoid solar.

broncobowsher

Adventurer
Duel batteries are common on diesels to provide enough power to the big starter motor needed to bring a cold diesel to life. In warmer weather a single batter will generally start them. But get it cold, with a long glow plug warmup before the starter is engaged, there may not be enough battery to start the engine. Block heaters help start cold engines. Now if the extra batteries are just house batteries, not a big deal.

Duel alternators provide more power. Also for regular loads, the load is split so each alternator is only stressed half as much. They last longer if not run at full capacity.

djbonsu

Adventurer
Sounds like your van had a special order and was outfitted for cold weather or ambulance package. That would explain the dual alternators and battery on the frame. Maybe the original owner never got around to installing whatever was intended?

Jb1rd

Explorer
It was originally an oxygen delivery van. Now the fun begins tracking down what goes to what
Sounds like your van had a special order and was outfitted for cold weather or ambulance package. That would explain the dual alternators and battery on the frame. Maybe the original owner never got around to installing whatever was intended?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior