Dstock's M101A1 build... or the reality, I needed a new project!

dstock

Explorer
View attachment 393625View attachment 393626

I've subscribed to about every M101 thread on here and stealing ideas from everyone. My topside is going to be a bit different but the tongue, frame, and axle ideas will work. I'm doing a M116A2 trailer (flatbed version of a 101) with a short aluminum comm shelter (48" tall). I'm going toward a Turtlebackish layout but will need a different kitchen layout due to smaller door. Hopefully it'll turn out half as good as yours.

Thanks! That looks like a great platform combo, looking forward to see where you take it. I've been very tempted to pick up an M116A2 to use as a motorcycle trailer/ hauler of crap trailer. Of course, it's not something I really NEED at the moment but...LOL

I'll be checking our your build thread, have fun!

dstock

Explorer
2 days until we depart for ExpoWest!! Say hi if you see us, we'll be in the dispersed camping area with the rest of you lot! Would be nice to put some faces to names. Safe travels!

Packed and ready to roll!
i-Z7j4shs-L.jpg

dstock

Explorer
It's been awhile...time to do some additions starting with an addition to the RTT rack to hold 2 100 watt Renogy solar panels...

Just a tease:
i-NzjsLnM-L.jpg

dstock

Explorer
Got my solar panel rack finished up and mounted. It's a bit hard to take pictures of but it holds 2 x 100 watt Renogy solar panels. I used thin strip teflon adhesive tape so the panels would slide easily on the steel rack and then they are locked in place with keyed-alike padlocks.

Pretty simple design, I wanted to get the panels out of the bed to make them more easily deployable and to get them out of the way of other items when not deployed. 1 for the trailer and 1 for the Jeep which houses a dual battery system and our ARB fridge. Charge controller for the Jeep is 20 amps so I can combine the 2 panels for 200 watts if it needs an extra boost or when there is reduced sun output.

Doesn't photograph very well but here it is:

From the side:

i-h3ZgSNK-L.jpg

From the front:

i-Tftbtb4-L.jpg

ArkansasDon

Observer
I'll be using the 100 watt Renogy solar panel permanently mounted on the tent rack, & a 50 watt on a foldable stand to move around when needed. I like what you've done, looks great

KellyM

Adventurer
Looking good! Would you please stop adding things to your build that I, of course, will need to add to mine! I'm already so far behind you. JK

dstock

Explorer
Looking good! Would you please stop adding things to your build that I, of course, will need to add to mine! I'm already so far behind you. JK

NEVER!! Hahaha!

Better get caught up, I've got a long list of improvements coming!!

dstock

Explorer
XO Jack

After partially tweaking my back moving the trailer around fighting the wheel on my existing trailer jack, I finally pulled the trigger on the XO Jack from Ark. This thing is probably overkill but what a well thought out product. Fits perfectly on my trailer and has plenty of adjustability. The removable magnetic handle and the locking pin for the wheels when it's in traveling mode are great touches. I won't go on as there are plenty of others with this jack on the forum.

Feast your eyes!

i-qcp5dvr-L.jpg

For picture purposes I put the old jack back on temporarily to show the XO Jack in travel mode:

i-vQV2sDd-L.jpg

RogueWon

Envy

You're my hero and inspiration @dstock - M1101A3 acquired ... not sure when the build begins, but the game is afoot -
A

A

I'm having trouble embedding, so edit for image upload - M116A1E1_Pick_up_BW_Pano_jpg.jpg

Last edited:

dstock

Explorer
Updates to come...

I'm working on a few updates to the trailer which will be coming shortly....

Meanwhile, here it is in action at the Mojave Road river crossing:

i-2nbs9DH-L.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz