Drying Clothes

Photomike

White Turtle Adventures & Photography
My boys and I camp in all weather conditions. In the winter the biggest problem is drying out clothes that have gotten wet (usually very wet as the boys love to play in the snow). Have tried in the camper with us but the humidity is a drawback and they dry slowly. By a fire but many times it is not feasible as it is late at night or we are on the move.

Other than installing a clothes dryer in the trailer we pull full of supplies, what are other ideas to dry out clothes? Any tricks that I am missing?

I heard on a story that my kids were listening to that they put the clothes in a garbage bag on hangers and the bottom of the bag was cut open and had a catalytic heater below. Then the heat went up causing a chimney effect to dry the clothes, sounds okay but we usually have several items not just one or two.

Any ideas are appreciated.

wanderer-rrorc

Explorer
for years I have turned the AC on in the truck with it turned to heat...that tends to wick the moisture out quickly...

other than a heater that puts out DRY air..and a fan...(propane little buddy and fan)...just like ya listed...

the only other thing I can remember is that mom used to hang cloths on the line in winter when it wasnt snowing...theres VERY little humidity when it gets that cold..so they froze..then sublimated (word of the day!) the ice into the low humidity atmosphere...it worked..but jeans were tough to get dry..and impossible to fold till thawed..:coffeedrink:

Photomike

for years I have turned the AC on in the truck with it turned to heat...that tends to wick the moisture out quickly...

other than a heater that puts out DRY air..and a fan...(propane little buddy and fan)...just like ya listed...

the only other thing I can remember is that mom used to hang cloths on the line in winter when it wasnt snowing...theres VERY little humidity when it gets that cold..so they froze..then sublimated (word of the day!) the ice into the low humidity atmosphere...it worked..but jeans were tough to get dry..and impossible to fold till thawed..:coffeedrink:

I will have to try the freezing, never thought of that and we have no humidity around here.

AxeAngel

Expedition Leader
Depending on your clothing, I built a blower heater from a fan and heater coils. Helps dy out gloves, boots, etc after some backcountry snowboarding

-Sam

Photomike

I thought of this as well. I saw a 12V interior car heater a long time ago that I thought that I could set up on the floor of the truck. Then hang something above it to hang the gloves, hats, etc on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles