Dry July - A Land Cruiser and a Range Rover go winter desert touring

Gascan4X4

All chaps, no jeans.
Thanks for this very enjoyable & a little informative read... what a fascinating country!

This part of the track was fast with the regular soft sections that meant slowing for. I noticed I was getting a long brake pedal in the Cruiser. I had a good idea what was causing it, and the next junction I stopped to check it out. Jacking up a front wheel confirmed my suspicions. There was noticeable play in the in the wheel bearing, causing the brake disc to push the brake pads back as it wobbled around - this is known as brake 'knock off' and something you will sometimes see racing drivers managing by squeezing the brake pedal slightly just before they hit the brakes properly, so the pads are right next to the disc.

I said to The Accountant, "I'm going to have to sort this".

I had done the wheel bearing service and also new brakes before this trip. This side with the play in it hadn't gone back together nicely for some reason. I had redone the assembly at the time and thought I had sorted it, but clearly not. Anyway, I had the special tools with me for the wheel bearings and so would just reset the adjustment on this corner and then check the other three.

One side sorted, we checked the other three. There was a tine amount of play in the other side front, so as we had everything out I quickly readjusted that one. As I was doing this the first vehicle we had seen since we stoped came by. They stopped and checked we were ok. Everything buttoned back up we packed the tools away and were once more back at it. It had cost us about an hour, but no matter, we were equipped to camp anywhere so there would be no rushing, despite the setback.

Would you please explain this for the slow minded like me - I've re-read this several times now and am still unsure of what was wrong/how you remedied it - Was it a simple matter of reseating the hub bearing/tightening the 54mm nut?

Rufant

Thanks for this very enjoyable & a little informative read... what a fascinating country!

Would you please explain this for the slow minded like me - I've re-read this several times now and am still unsure of what was wrong/how you remedied it - Was it a simple matter of reseating the hub bearing/tightening the 54mm nut?

Yeah that's basically it. Too much play in the bearing was causing the disc to move laterally and 'knock' the brake pads back.

For some reason when I serviced the bearing on that corner I couldn't get the spring clip in the end of the axle, no matter how many times I refitted the bearing and re-tensioned the nut. In the end I filed down the clip so I could put it back together and drive it, figuring with the weight of the vehicle on it the bearing would seat fully. Which is what happened and once I had re-tensioned the nut again I was able to fit a new spring clip, and I thought job done.

However obviously not, and so ended up doing it again on the trail. I've checked it a few times since then and there has been no more play or problems. I've done the wheel bearing service several times now on this truck and that's the first time I've had a problem.

Hopefully that explains it?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier