Drop in replacement alternator 150A

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
Haven't actually replaced the alternator yet - on my list of New Year's projects. (Hence my question of Joe917.)

Madoxen

Have Red arc fixed the firmware/siftware issue with their gear that stopped it from charging below 6 degrees even if bank was inside in the warm?

Im sure they would have but might be worth a look into

Neil

Observer
Using our Magnum charger we can deliver 125 Amps at 14.4 volts (12V bank) run off the generator.(we have it choked to 90 Amps, recommended by Rolls Surette)
For what it's worth our Stirling starts putting out 40 Amps almost immediately after start up.
Idling a diesel with low loads will lead to glazed cylinders and shortened engine life. It will also pollute more than a small genset. Just because you can charge from the main engine at idle does not mean it is a good idea.

Wow.
I have had to use the engine to charge the batteries on maybe three occasions in the last 5 years. Usually an hour at idle is sufficient to get us through.

We carry a small Honda Generator 1kw. I have never used it and it woukd be top of my list to leave behind.

I was more curious as to what peole are running that requires such huge amounts of power.

We can survive about 3 days with no charging input, by this time we think its time for a drive. Again we have only had to do this on a handful of occasions, the solar keps up with consumption 99% of the time.

As said earlier, i was simply curious and not in any way being critical .

Neil

Joe917

Explorer
Wow.
I have had to use the engine to charge the batteries on maybe three occasions in the last 5 years. Usually an hour at idle is sufficient to get us through.

We carry a small Honda Generator 1kw. I have never used it and it woukd be top of my list to leave behind.

I was more curious as to what peole are running that requires such huge amounts of power.

We can survive about 3 days with no charging input, by this time we think its time for a drive. Again we have only had to do this on a handful of occasions, the solar keps up with consumption 99% of the time.

As said earlier, i was simply curious and not in any way being critical .

Neil
99% of the time our 630 Watts of solar do the job. We use the generator occasionally when we run the microwave to reduce the load on the batteries. It's not necessary but it will extend battery life. The genny was installed in the truck when we bought it. We also have needed it in Alaska during long overcast/rain. We rarely need it but we have it and use it. In South America we ran it a few times for air conditioning.
We also plan to eliminate the propane and go to induction, that will add to the load.

Geo.Lander

Speaking of gensets, has anyone experience the truck designed units from dometic? They look like truck tool boxes, suppose to be silent but I think run on gasoline..

Joe917

Explorer
Our Genset is a 4 KW Dometic, Honda engine. It is really nicely mounted with a stainless steel cover to match all the rest of the stainless tanks and apron.Far from silent, but it is 27 years old! (engine has been replaced). The newer Honda and Yamaha units are very quiet.

Geo.Lander

OK, so the most recent part number for my truck at least is A 010 154 90 02. Interestingly enough all the OEM alternators online with those part numbers are 80A rated with one being 110amps, i suppose it is just easier to use standard internals etc than keeping around the 55A ones..

I am not sure if this is the best route to go or try for a 100-150 amp conversion like @DiploStrat 's project (there was some concern on the LN2 forum about the load that would introduce on the v-belts. The calculation equaled about 7.5hp alone for the 150amp 24v alternator... ?

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader

I am not sure if this is the best route to go or try for a 100-150 amp conversion like @DiploStrat 's project (there was some concern on the LN2 forum about the load that would introduce on the v-belts. The calculation equaled about 7.5hp alone for the 150amp 24v alternator... ?

Hence my question of Joe. But remember, the load on the belts is dependent on the electrical load. The only time I am going to see a big load is in the summer when the cab air conditioner is running. And, if necessary, I can set up things to shed load elsewhere.

Joe917

Explorer
Hence my question of Joe. But remember, the load on the belts is dependent on the electrical load. The only time I am going to see a big load is in the summer when the cab air conditioner is running. And, if necessary, I can set up things to shed load elsewhere.
Is your cab air con electric? not a belt driven compressor?

Madoxen

You could always look into running a second alternator from your pto if it is a live drive /always on.( my truck has both live and engageable pto so can run a second large alt off off the live pto.)

Sitec

Adventurer
You could always look into running a second alternator from your pto if it is a live drive /always on.( my truck has both live and engageable pto so can run a second large alt off off the live pto.)

My overactive mind kicked into gear with this one... You could have a spinning shaft running the length of the Hab Box and run all manner of things off it... washing machine, coffee grinder, cooling fan, food processor etc etc!! ;)

Geo.Lander

My overactive mind kicked into gear with this one... You could have a spinning shaft running the length of the Hab Box and run all manner of things off it... washing machine, coffee grinder, cooling fan, food processor etc etc!! ;)

Coffee grinder ??

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne