Drool: '85 Toyota Diesel Pickup on eBay

BKCowGod

Automotive ADHD is fun!
no affiliation... eBay Link

I have a 1985 Toyota 4X4 for sale. I restored it to the best of my ability. The engine was completely rebuilt. The compression in each cylinder is 480 P.S.I. New sleeves new pistons and new rings. The injectors were rebuilt. The fuel injection pump was also rebuilt. The timing belt and glow pugs are also new. The seat upholstery is new. The batteries are new. The paint and the decals are also new. The wheels and tires are new. The front and back shocks are new. The clutch is also new. The front brakes and calipers are new and the back brakes are still in good conditions. The radio is the original part and it works perfectly.
The truck is read for 60000 miles of use the only thing you have to do is change the fluids and the filters. It has power steering power brakes and air conditioning. But, when I bout the truck it did not have the A.C. bracket so I can not install the pump. I will provide the pump with the truck.
This truck is listed locally and I have the right to end the auction at anytime. Deposit of $500.00 within 48 hours of auction close. Full payment required within 7 days of auction close.
If you fly in to San Diego CA I will pick you up at the airport. You can drive the truck home.

alosix

Expedition Leader
Drool as well.

I don't have room for it, but man that would make a nice little commuter truck...

Jason

haven

Expedition Leader
The Autocheck vehicle history has two entries like this?

02/26/2008
HAMILTON, OH
Motor Vehicle Dept.
TITLE (Title #:5703785398)
EXCEEDS MECHANICAL LIMITS

Pokey

Adventurer
heya- quick poll:

what would you pay for this?
whats it worth given all the work if its on the up n up.?

BKCowGod

Automotive ADHD is fun!
heya- quick poll:

what would you pay for this?
whats it worth given all the work if its on the up n up.?

I'd pay somewhere around $3k for it. That said, it'll probably sell for a lot more than that. Toyotas are grossly inflated, especially in Cali. Diesels are grossly inflated, especially in Cali. Combine the two and voila!

S

Scenic WonderRunner

How did he get the 1985 Toyota Diesel 4x4 into the US?

Can anyone post a link to info, of when these were legally imported into the US? I would really like to see a list. Because I am interested. I would love to have one!

Where is his front license plate? It's illegal in CA. to not have a front plate.

As nice as it looks....and the ad is cool.

I say it's a scam.

BKCowGod

Automotive ADHD is fun!
Where is his front license plate? It's illegal in CA. to not have a front plate.

SWR - In the last decade, not one of my (15 or so) CA registered vehicles has had a front plate for the duration of my ownership. The only time it was ever even mentioned to me by a cop was when I told him I didn't have a front plate and could he please write me up for that instead of giving me a speeding ticket (worked! :))

Also, according to W'Pedia:

• 1984-1986 2.2 L 1L (2188 cc)Diesel I4, 62 hp (46.2 kW) at 4200 rpm and 93 ft·lbf (126 N·m) (SR5 long bed only)
  • 1984-1985 - 2.4L (2446 cc) Diesel I4 2L SOHC, 83 hp (62 kW) at 4200 rpm and 122 ft·lbf (165 N·m) at 2400 rpm;

Last edited:

alosix

Expedition Leader
Yeah, don't think its a scam. Looking around craigslist I found a few other versions of that year truck around with factory diesels.

Found a 91 4runner as well. From Canadia (that place Canadians come from) and somehow has CA plates on it.

Jason

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
I say it's a scam.
No scam, it very well could be the original 2L diesel. We got them for a few years in the middle 1980s. Some 2WD trucks got the 1L or 2L and 4WD trucks had the option of a 2L. Toyota continued to make that motor for a few years more, the 2L-T and 2L-TE are both supposed to be nice little oil burners. The non-turbo 2L was supposed to be a dog even compared to a 22R/22R-E and that's probably why they didn't sell well, along with the noise and smell it's a tough sell over the gasoline when even those have trouble on U.S. freeway on ramps. The frame and build plate would tell you for sure, LN101 or whatever.

Last edited:

Pokey

Adventurer
I'd pay somewhere around $3k for it. That said, it'll probably sell for a lot more than that. Toyotas are grossly inflated, especially in Cali. Diesels are grossly inflated, especially in Cali. Combine the two and voila!

Even at $6500.......what car out there with a fresh rebuild diesel engine getting 30mpg is there under $12k.?

How much of a dog is this engine without a turbo?

someone talk me down off the ledge.............................:drool:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles