Drones for Photography, Videography, who has em and who uses em?

neliconcept

Spirit Overland
I'm looking to get into Drone Photography now and have been looking at various units. Money is a bit tight so I think the winner for now is the DJI Mavic Mini and I know that it might not be the most well built unit but if I am careful and don't bash it into a tree or mountain it should last a bit to at least learn to fly it.

It's also small enough and lightweight enough that it doesn't have to be registered with the FAA. However I will still get a Drone license and register flights just in case.

What do you guys use?

jkam

nomadic man
I used a DJI Phantom 4 for a few years up on the cannabis farm we were building.
It was pretty good back in 2016, battery lasted about 30 minutes, camera and video were decent.
I crashed it a couple of times, and only broke one blade so it was pretty tough.
Kept 4 more battery’s charged up and ready to go so it was good for awhile.
SD card was easy to download and the DJI app for my iPad was ok at quick editing.

FlipperFla

Just got a GPS Drone for Christmas. Still learning to fly. I watch best drone crashes on YouTube so I learn what not to do, seems the biggest hazards are trees. Some of the videos are pretty funny. 4K video, flight time 20 min. Streams video and still shots real time straight to my IPad Airll . Uses Bluetooth and WiFi. You can pull up google earth tap in waypoints push a button it takes off, runs the route at what altitude you want and comes home and lands. Also does “follow me”mode, and orbits. I want to try following us in our boat but one mistake it’s a goner. Like I said, some of the videos are pretty funny like when it’s still streaming video and it sitting at the bottom of a lake! I was surprised how many places you are NOT ALLOWED to fly one. No State Parks, National Parks, around government buildings, schools, the list goes on and on. I can foresee lots of restrictions in the future due to potential abuse and security issues. If it goes over a certain weight it also has to be registered. It is so small when it’s folded up it fits in my shirt pocket. Great for exploring, instead of bushwhacking your way in hard to get to locations. Love it! A whole new world in photography.

Last edited:

neliconcept

Spirit Overland
the DJI Mavic Mini seems to be my preference now. at 249 grams it is 1 gram under the FAA registration limit. It seems to be a good beginner photography drone. No Raw though but I will figure it out once I decide to punch the ticket for it.

I have been reading about the no state parks or national parks, I do think some state parks are ok but national is no go.

billiebob

Nothing to indicate when or who, but I'd love to know.

Heres another Legendary F1 driver Jackie Stewart at the Monaco Grand Prix in 1966

gopro-1960s-stewart-01.jpg

Even better, Steve McQueen...

gopro-1960s-mcqueen.jpg

Last edited:

FlipperFla

the DJI Mavic Mini seems to be my preference now. at 249 grams it is 1 gram under the FAA registration limit. It seems to be a good beginner photography drone. No Raw though but I will figure it out once I decide to punch the ticket for it.

I have been reading about the no state parks or national parks, I do think some state parks are ok but national is no go.
IMO I would ask a Ranger at the State Park where you are going to be. I asked at a park in Fl. and got a big no with a nasty attitude to go with it. Lots of parks are located where something historic happened, forts, battles, monuments? What was funny at that park you are allowed to use a metal detector which is a big no no elsewhere but not a drone? Maybe he was having a bad day or had a bad experience with a irresponsible pilot. After
that ordeal I only use mine in remote locations.

goldtooth

We have a DJI Mavic mini with the 2.7K camera. They came out with the 4K like 2 months after we bought it :mad:
Love it so far but will upgrade to a Mavic Pro at some point so we can have the "follow me" feature.
nate

billiebob

I'd love a drone to "pre run" the roads that look interesting rather than wasting time driving down deadends. But I'd likely want much more range.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
We have a DJI Mavic mini with the 2.7K camera. They came out with the 4K like 2 months after we bought it :mad:
Love it so far but will upgrade to a Mavic Pro at some point so we can have the "follow me" feature.
nate

Considering the new remote ID laws coming into effect, you are likely better off to stick with the mini or mini-2

I know I'm pleased to have stuck with the mini.
So long as I'm not flying commercially, no problemo (for now)

goldtooth

Considering the new remote ID laws coming into effect, you are likely better off to stick with the mini or mini-2

I know I'm pleased to have stuck with the mini.
So long as I'm not flying commercially, no problemo (for now)
I will have to look into that, didn't even think about the changing laws.
thanks
nate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier