DrMoab's long overdue M416 thread.

DrMoab

Explorer
Ever since I bought my trailer people have asked me "Do you have a write up on that?" Since I didn't built the trailer I never really felt like I could do an actual built thread but I figured maybe it was time to show it off a little.

We bought it from a guy on IH8Mud who had just built it but never used it. He sold it to me for what he had into materials and labor. The price was steep but I had another M416 sitting at home that I was about to dump the same amount of time and materials into so I figured "why not?"

When I purchaced it, the origianl owner had installed the Thule racks and a few pelican cases around the inside of the tub but nothing else. I already had the ARB Simpson III tent that was on my Jeep so it was a good match.

This was what it looked like when I picked it up.
DSC_5391 by drmoab, on Flickr

Over the years I have added a few things here and there. Batteries, lights, struts to make it easier to raise the tent...probably a bunch I can't remember. I also took the 315-70-17 tires off and installed some 285-70-17 tires to match the jeep.

This is what it looks like today.
DSC_2105 by drmoab, on Flickr

My wife has to use a C-pap machine so we needed enough juice to power an inverter for the night. Since I part old jeeps out occasionally I just installed a couple of old XJ batteries in an action packer box bolted to the tongue. This is a temp solution. Eventually I plan to install a box on top of the bed for loose items (kitchen stuff, clothing and bedding) and I plan to install the heavy stuff like water tank and batteries in the main floor of the trailer. Oddly enough the box seems to be fairly stout and is holding up well to the abuse.
M416 battery box by drmoab, on Flickr

When I am flying solo or it's just my and the wife (or my son as we go together quite often) I can leave the struts down and just deploy the tent with no annex. This keeps it low and steady and not quite such a wind sail.
DSC_2107 by drmoab, on Flickr

With the Thule racks up I can install the annex below and this gives the kids a place to sleep.
DSC_2115 by drmoab, on Flickr

Although I keep dreaming of buying a Hannibal awning, I went to Kirkhams (they build Springbar tents) and bought one of their tail gate awnings. Less than $100 and it works pretty well.
DSC_2119 by drmoab, on Flickr

DrMoab

Explorer
I installed some strip LED lights under the rear rack that sits over the tailgate. This works great for cooking dinner.
DSC_2102 by drmoab, on Flickr

I also installed some more strip LED lights in the tent on the main bar.
DSC_2111 by drmoab, on Flickr

Also installed (by the original owner) are a couple of small Pelican cases and a NATO fuel can. We keep one for a first aid kit and the other we hold a few odds and ends like the inverter and an air pump to pump up an air mattress.
DSC_2103 by drmoab, on Flickr

DSC_2100 by drmoab, on Flickr

The guy I bought it from was a DEA Helicopter pilot. I'm pretty sure that's why there is a jet fuel sticker on board.
DSC_2099 by drmoab, on Flickr

DrMoab

Explorer
Nice looking trailer!

Thanks.

One thing I have never been overly thrilled with was the tailgate. I feel like they did a pretty crappy job around the opening. One day I plan to fix this.
DSC_2101 by drmoab, on Flickr

The tailgate was braced with 3/4 inch square tubing so I built a wood cover. Made it much easier to put a stove on to cook.
Untitled by drmoab, on Flickr

Since I have two kids and a 120Lb dog, the jeep doesn't have a lot of room. Pretty much everything needs to go in the trailer.
The big green box is serving as the kitchen box at the time.
Untitled by drmoab, on Flickr

FJC Scout

Observer
Nice work. I'd like to see the install work on the Thules, though I know you didn't install them. Maybe some close ups of the mounts?

Matthew57892

I also fall under the "bought not built" category. It's defintiely a option to be weighed with the popularity of trailers growing, there beginning to pop up in classifieds more regurlarly. I like the pelican case Idea to. as well as the LED lighting, A mod I intend to complete in the near future!

Matthew57892

I also fall under the "bought not built" category. It's defintiely a option to be weighed with the popularity of trailers growing, there beginning to pop up in classifieds more regurlarly. I like the pelican case Idea to. as well as the LED lighting, A mod I intend to complete in the near future!

Kevin Braun

Mountain Biker
How do you feel about the load rating on those Thule racks being 450lbs? Any concerns?

I've wanted to try them but I'm just a 40-50 lbs over with the tent, my girl and myself, not counting any gear in the tent with us.

DrMoab

Explorer
I don't think you'd ever have to worry. They put that load limit on then considering it's on a moving vehicle with all the stresses that go along with that. On mine the only thing that's there is the tent while moving down the road. The only time I'd come close to taxing the weight limit is sitting parked. My wife and I are both bigger people. I'd bet between the tent and us we are regularly over that limit by 200lbs. In four years it's never been an issue.

They probably also figure that limit with them extended up all the way which I don't think I'd ever do while moving.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94