Driving though Canada to Alaska during the Covid-19 Pandemic

Blaise

It's especially confusing as there are US plate vehicles which are 100% legal in canada as dual-citizens.

Anyway, glad you went and took the Cassiar. I had similar experiences with mosquitos, bears, etc.

What I want to make sure everyone understands is that you do not need a 4x4, 35s, a RTT or anything to do this drive. You can do it in your Chevy Cavalier if you want to with a simple ground tent. Neither the cassiar nor the alcan have any portions which aren't fully street-vehicle friendly. Everyone should do it!

adaml

Awesome trip! @MobileAndMonitoring - Can you share any more about that drawer set up? I poked around on your site for a little bit and saw a lot of neat things (especially your heater!), but didn't see anything about those drawers!

carleton

Also, a reminder to everyone, that once you are in Alaska the COVID journey isn't over yet. I'm sure the OP has already taken care of everything, since this was posted in July, but any new travelers should take note.

Awesome trip! @MobileAndMonitoring - Can you share any more about that drawer set up? I poked around on your site for a little bit and saw a lot of neat things (especially your heater!), but didn't see anything about those drawers!
I know I need to get around to posting more about the drawers! They are just homemade plywood drawers with one side being a large utility drawer and the other a kitchen setup.

Also, a reminder to everyone, that once you are in Alaska the COVID journey isn't over yet. I'm sure the OP has already taken care of everything, since this was posted in July, but any new travelers should take note.
Yeah thankfully when I passed into Alaska in early July the test was free and once you get the phone call you can go about your business. But honestly Alaska isn't taking COVID very seriously outside of Anchorage (as far as the road system goes). I had a business owner tell me to "take off your damn mask" "it's like having a tail pipe stuck in your mouth". Very confusing but whatever your business I guess.

I just checked out your website.. wow, awesome photography!! Love it!
Keep up the nice work..

Cheers, Steve.
Thank you! So nice to hear someone apperciate my photography. I take my camera everywhere.

@MobileAndMonitoring , I see a cell phone booster on your rig... what has your experience been? Is it worth the $500?
Yeah it's hard. There have been times it's saved me. Where I had no bars but when I turned it on I had 2 bars LTE. Then there are times where you have at least one bar but it doesn't do much. I really think they should sell it for $299 and I think it would be a great deal. $500 for something that might help on occasion is right there at being maybe more than it's worth? All that being said I use the internet everyday and when comparing it to a satellite connection or something else it is a rather cheap one time cost and will enhance the service of anyone in your vehicle. I'd really like to do a scientific review of the thing but I cannot find a good app that will record cell phone preformance overtime.

Toysox

I am happy that you had such an amazing trip. You are very lucky. I also plan with some friends to go to Canada in the near future, but we are just at the planning stage. I still hope we can go in the end. I am very enthusiastic and I have already prepared places that we can visit there, and in this helped me a lot this site openthe.world/ where I found things to do in Banff and I was delighted by all the tips there. The only problem is that we do not know what will happen with this pandemic and it is not certain that we will be able to leave, but I still sincerely hope that we will succeed.

Last edited:

billiebob

An old picture from Yellowknife, taken at 11PM. I remember reading a good book outside, figuring I'd quit when it got dark, well it started to get lighter and I checked the time, 3AM...... leave all the head lights and lanterns at home.

Yellowknife has a summer solstice golf tournament. First tee off is at midnight, June 21st.

DSC_00410832.JPG

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles