Driving on Dry Pavement in 4-low with CDL engaged...

ChuckB

Expedition Leader
So, quick story. I'm out of town and have limited communications with my wife. She emails me and tells me the Cruiser was driving funny on the way home from picking the kids up at daycare. That is approximately a 2 mile drive.
She tells me there were two lights on the dash, VSC off and a "funny symbol". I immediately think of the CDL :Wow1:. Then I realized that can't be on unless you are in 4-low. She can't really tell me anything beyond that she thinks she might have bumped the 4x4 shifter. I try to explain to her that the Cruiser is mostly likely in 4-low and how to shift and and disengage the CDL. My Dad went over tonight and confirmed the 4-low and CDL engaged. She told me they drove it around the block after putting it in 4-hi and it seemed to drive fine.

Should I be concerned about permanent damage on a 2 mile drive in 4-low with the CDL on dry pavement? I won't be able to drive it until Friday at the earliest to see for myself.

CreeperSleeper

Looking for bigger rocks.
If it's still driving fine, you lucked out. It sounds like the tires where able to scrub and not cause damage. If something broke, she would have heard it!

ChuckB

Expedition Leader
Now that you guys mentioned it, she did say that she felt like the tires were "skidding" so that makes sense. She did not mention any big bangs so hopefully that's a good sign. Thanks!

Explorer
There are only two scenarios in this situation, the tires slip - or metal breaks. It is absolutely a very rare occasion that the metal would break, poor tire wear is the usual outcome.

p nut

butter
Has anyone actually had any damage from CDL on dry pavement?

On my old 3rd gen 4Runner, I drove around in 4hi (part time system-no center diff) and the transfer case blew a seal.

Also, I could have sworn that you can lock the CDL in 4hi.

thedjjack

Dream it build it
DO NOT DRIVE IT.... it is junk, scrap, no scrap value due to the damage.... It is unrepairable and is going to cost huge money to get rid of.... I will do you a favour if you have it towed to my place I will take it off your hands...

RangeBrover

Explorer
Sounds like everything turned out okay and I doubt anything would have been critically damaged. I would give the wife a crash course on the 4wd system of the truck though.

ChuckB

Expedition Leader
All appears to be fine. I did have delusions of putting the remainder of the drivetrain in an 80 if there were any issues. Wife has been trained...
Thanks foe the help!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mrknowitall

Adventurer
My mom did the same thing with her Sidekick 20 years ago- "it sure drives jerky in 4wd."- had yanked it right back into low range. Of course, that thing would still do 60mph in Low range.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior