Driving in Sand

gait

Explorer
a few km east of Tafraoute Sidi Ali, between Mahmid and Merzouga. Morocco, a few km north of Algerian border. January 2013. Very approximately 30.724, -4.551 Soft sand collected on one side of an outcrop we were looking to camp beside. Further east, near Ramlia was an area referred to on a map as "bad dunes" which were finer/softer which the truck took well. We traveled on our own so tended not to get far from known tracks. Beautiful place, very different to Australian deserts.

Last edited:

Peter_n_Margaret

Adventurer
nice,
then you'd need even bigger diameter axle shafts .... interesting integration with steer and free wheel hubs.
Central tyre inflation was offered with the last OKAs built, but I am not aware of anyone buying one.

Attachments

• 11-04 NT Cab-chassis.pdf
    171.5 KB · Views: 15

LeishaShannon

Adventurer
I'd planned to install pipe to each wheel from the compressor with a short flexible hose so I could do all 4 tyres relatively quickly, even bought the solenoid and 5v pressure sender to automate it with Arduino... one day I guess..

gait

Explorer
I'd planned to install pipe to each wheel from the compressor with a short flexible hose so I could do all 4 tyres relatively quickly, even bought the solenoid and 5v pressure sender to automate it with Arduino... one day I guess..
have you considered a tank? My compressor is the bottleneck, keep it running all the time while removing/replacing valve covers and connecting/disconnecting air hose. Air from tank to tyres flows faster than compressor can supply. Inflating in parallel or serially takes same time. My biggest pain is untangling my air hose - one day I'll buy a spiral hose and a length of plastic plumbing to house it. I haven't bothered with a chuck that stops at set pressure though I'm tempted.

Peter_n_Margaret

Adventurer
We talk about lowering the pressure and the manufacturers do not talk about it. Over the years I have been to may seminars put on by different tire manufacturers. They never recommend lowering tires! Yes they know that we do it and on trails (tracks) with them they also do it as well. It is a liability for them to recommend any lower pressure then what the vehicle manufacture recommends. In the USA they will sue for anything for a fast buck.

The tire bilge profile as seen in the post # 27 by Peter_n_Margaret.
The data in those pics is derived directly from 3 documents published for 305/70 19.5 XDE2 TL 147/145 M tyres by Michelin on 26 June 1998. They are document numbers BR 110688A, AS 110688A and AB110688A. The data quotes load and pressure information for highway speeds, 65kph, and 20kph and their resulting Deflection, Total Contact Area, Laden Section Width, Laden Radius, and Rolling Circumference.. This is despite these tyres being intended for highway truck drive use.
It is my understanding that they publish similar data for many of their other tyres too.
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94