Driving a 30’ Box Truck Over Engineer Pass, in an attempt to prove SWB 4x4 drivetrains aren’t really needed....

1stDeuce

Explorer
I'm sure it's gone by now. They don't mess around looking for excuses not to recover vehicles in Silverton, they just get it done.

Interestingly, I figured he came up from Lake City, as that's an easy drive nearly to the top, but the article points to him having come from Silverton. I'd guess he was either stoned, or that he had a significant language barrier and some experience driving 3rd world country roads... Alternately, he was from the east coast, where all roads lead to somewhere... Plus, he was certainly an idiot. Even just making it to Animas Forks would have been a total adventure... To continue up toward Engineer from there, with "jeep" signs all along the way just emphasizes the depth of stupidity required.

WOODY2

Adventurer
I'm sure it's gone by now. They don't mess around looking for excuses not to recover vehicles in Silverton, they just get it done.

Interestingly, I figured he came up from Lake City, as that's an easy drive nearly to the top, but the article points to him having come from Silverton. I'd guess he was either stoned, or that he had a significant language barrier and some experience driving 3rd world country roads... Alternately, he was from the east coast, where all roads lead to somewhere... Plus, he was certainly an idiot. Even just making it to Animas Forks would have been a total adventure... To continue up toward Engineer from there, with "jeep" signs all along the way just emphasizes the depth of stupidity required.
Rumor has it he was a bus driver from a third world country and used to climbing mountain passes to get to the next country. He thought it would be a piece of cake without 49 people on the roof. :LOL:

krick3tt

Adventurer
Probably. Figuring it would take more than 49 people to push through the whole of the route it might have been a good idea to have them along.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles