Driver's license for BIG trucks

Just about everything in your statement is incorrect. For example, in TX if your Class A RV is over 26k pounds you need a MINIMUM of a Class B driver's license. If you pull a trailer and your combined weight is over 26k pounds you need a Class A driver's license (so everyone understands, a normal driver's license is a Class C ) and these can be either Commercial or non-Commercial but still need to be the correct CLASS AND if your vehicle meets the requirement of a Class A or Class B license and has air brakes then you need an Air Brake Endorsement on that license as well. Just because there are idiots out there driving large vehicles without the proper license doesn't mean they're doing it legally.

As mentioned before, each state handles their internal licensing in a different manner but will honor every other states license as long as the holder is legal within their home state. I cannot verify but would guess that is similar in Country to Country issues as well. You might check with either the Mexican or US Consulates in your area to see if they can assist you.
What is incorrect? Felipe and I are legally licensed for RVs in our home jurisdictions and therefore are legal in North America. Do you actually attest that out of state drivers driving heavy RVs in Texas get stopped? You just said each state honors other jurisdictions’ licenses. You are NEEDLESSLY trying to confuse the OP.

Ovrlnd Rd

Adventurer
What is incorrect? Felipe and I are legally licensed for RVs in our home jurisdictions and therefore are legal in North America. Do you actually attest that out of state drivers driving heavy RVs in Texas get stopped? You just said each state honors other jurisdictions’ licenses. You are NEEDLESSLY trying to confuse the OP.

And you're telling the OP that just because YOUR state is ignorant enough to allow anyone with a normal driver's license to operate a 40' Class A without any additional requirements that ALL states are that ignorant.

luthj

Engineer In Residence
This Wikipedia page describes the international driving permit. It also describes that countries party to the treaty honor each others licenses. Notably the USA is not a signatory of the 1968 version, only the 1949 version.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vienna_Convention_on_Road_Traffic#Contracting_parties

Despite this, the USA honors other countries drivers licenses for tourists.

More details for tourists, no listings of weight limits or other restrictions though. Given that many tourists rent big RVs (including over 26klbs). I don't see any issue for you.
https://www.usa.gov/visitors-driving

Last edited:

Felipe

Observer
Hello,
Thank you so much for all the valuable information and feed back.
Im going to get the IDP which is only a translation of whatever license you have. As I said, my Mexican DL is legal in Mexico for muy truck. My truck has air brakes, but here we do not have something like an Air Brake Endorsment for our licenses, so that I can not get.
I guess Im good to go then.
We will sure be posting and sharing details of our trip as we progress.
Thanks again
Regards
Felipe

Felipe

Observer
Felipe, Good Luck to you and your wife on your big adventure.

And of course, we all would like to hear about your truck (I won't be at Overland Expo or would meet you in person)

I'd love to hear how your trip is going so don't hesitate to post updates on the forum. (Which makes me wonder if we could talk mods into a "Big Trucks" ongoing adventures sub forum or something)

We will be posting updates as we progress
Thanks a lot !!

Felipe

Observer
I must live in a different AZ to you. No one I know has been subjected to “over-zealous cops” included literally hundreds of travelers we have hosted from all over the world in foreign registered vehicles (including Mexican).

I never had a problem when I lived in Texas either.

So I would say welcome to AZ and if you come this way you are welcome at our place for a beer, burger and a place to park the truck.

Thank you for your invitation for beer, burger and a place to park. I will let you know once we get closer. Our route is not competelly firm yet.
Regards
Felipe

Felipe

Observer
Just out of curiosity who built the camper?

Hello Charlie
The camper box was built by GXV and shipped to Mexico on a flat bed trailer.
The truck was ordered at the MAN dealer in Mexico and was built in Europe with the configuration, options and accessories I choose. It took 6 months to have the truck built and shipped to Mexico.
Once here, I did the installation of the camper box to the truck.
Before that, I had to do the hydraulics for the winches, install the generator with its own fuel tank, install the CTIS and other things that were easier without the camper box installed. I really enjoyed working on the truck and putting everything together. It was super fun.

Thanks for your input and feed back on the DL.
Regards
Felipe

Felipe

Observer
We need some more details on the CTIS!

Hello,
The CTIS I have is from a french manufacturer. The name is Teleflow http://www.teleflow.net I bought all the rotary valves, the main control valve, and the touch screen controller. Also bought from them a bulk of hoses, connectors and a crimping tool to be able to assembly the houses to correct length. All the hardware and mounts were built here as per prints supplied by Teleflow and sent to hot dip galvanizing. The system works perfectly, it has 4 setups, road, dirt, mud, and emergency. You program the desired pressure for each one and the system checks and compensates at given time intervals. To change from one setup to other, just one click on the touch screen. The rotary valves are exposed, so bought 6 to have two spares in my toolbox just in case.
The assembly to the Hutchinson rims required to do a small modification to the brackets design. The design provided by Teleflow was intended for the OEM rims, but no big deal.
The air supply is from the trucks brakes system, but it is connected to a truck's port specially intended for accessories that will not compromise the brakes (as per MAN's body builder handbook). It won't continue to supply air to any accessories if the pressure goes bellow a safety value.
So far, very happy with the system and with the assistance provided by Teleflow.
If you need more information, please let me know.
Best regards
Felipe

Hello,
The CTIS I have is from a french manufacturer. The name is Teleflow http://www.teleflow.net I bought all the rotary valves, the main control valve, and the touch screen controller. Also bought from them a bulk of hoses, connectors and a crimping tool to be able to assembly the houses to correct length. All the hardware and mounts were built here as per prints supplied by Teleflow and sent to hot dip galvanizing. The system works perfectly, it has 4 setups, road, dirt, mud, and emergency. You program the desired pressure for each one and the system checks and compensates at given time intervals. To change from one setup to other, just one click on the touch screen. The rotary valves are exposed, so bought 6 to have two spares in my toolbox just in case.
The assembly to the Hutchinson rims required to do a small modification to the brackets design. The design provided by Teleflow was intended for the OEM rims, but no big deal.
The air supply is from the trucks brakes system, but it is connected to a truck's port specially intended for accessories that will not compromise the brakes (as per MAN's body builder handbook). It won't continue to supply air to any accessories if the pressure goes bellow a safety value.
So far, very happy with the system and with the assistance provided by Teleflow.
If you need more information, please let me know.
Best regards
Felipe
Hi Felippe, did you but it directly off zTeleflow? I am looking at the stand alone unit, thanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier