Drive it Like its Sponsored! 2008 Jeep Liberty Sport Discussion

grahamfitter

Expedition Leader
I've been driving a rented 2008 Jeep Liberty Sport around Southern California for the last month or so and I've been pleasantly surprised with it, both on road and off. Most folks seem to dismiss the Liberty when it comes to choosing a 4x4 so I figured I'd wave the flag here.

As a point of reference, at home I have a stock '97 Jeep Wrangler TJ and while I spend a fair amount of time on dirt roads in various states of repair, my rock crawling experience is very limited. I don't usually need 4-low where I go!

DSC_2156.jpg

On tarmac and dirt washboard roads its comfy, quiet and stable. (A big improvement over my TJ!) I'm not a fan of automatic gearboxes but this one works OK and after a month I actually like it. The vehicle isn't as ugly as it was the first day, either. That came as a bit of a surprise; the Chrysler Town & Country minivan and Sebring convertible rentals I had before the Liberty were both horrible to drive and a big part of that was the gearbox.

Off road the low-hanging steering, IFS drivetrain and transfer case are all protected by metal plates and they do their job well. (Paraphrased: I found quite a few rocks on the recent Inyos trip.) The rear axle is solid and I never hit anything back there. While there isn't unlimited ground clearance or articulation, the traction control system does a fine job of stopping wheels from spinning when they lose traction.

The front and rear bumpers are flexible plastic. I hit the bottom of the front one behind a bump because I totally misread the size and landed a bit hard. The bumper just bounced back into shape. I'm more worried about the plastic trim underneath the doors which probably wouldn't take a direct hit so kindly.

DSC_1987.jpg

Inside the controls are straight Chrysler. The dashboard, quirky central locking, satellite radio, cruise control, etc. are the same as the minivan and Sebring. Nothing special but completely functional. The seats are certainly more supportive and comfortable than the Sebring. There's plenty of cubby holes to put things and everything seems solid enough. Jeep does like to put tie-downs in inaccessible places and the Liberty is no exception.

Most importantly, I can sleep in the back! The rear seats fold down flat and with a bag to fill the rear passenger footwell there's more than enough space behind the front seats for a Thermarest. The fold-flat passenger seat is several inches higher than the folded rear seats but with a bit of imagination the tallest person could sleep back there. I'd never considered a fold-flat seat to be of use before but its definitely handy for extra storage when camped and especially for making tea in the morning from the comfort of a sleeping bag.

DSC_2004.JPG

So there you have it: I like it. Feel free to add to the discussion!

Cheers,
Graham

I can't wait to see what ARB comes up with for this Liberty. I like the boxy style better than the rounded style of the previous generation. I think it will look great with a bit of a lift, aggressive tires, and a front bumper.

If they put a 25-30 mpg small diesel in it like the old one had I think you would have a killer little rig.:safari-rig:

JPFreek1

Explorer
Totally agree! This vehicle has a lot of potential and if mated with a CRD, it'd be awfully tempting. My wife keeps begging for one...

grahamfitter

Expedition Leader
Is this generation of Liberty the natural successor to the Cherokee? Everything else since has either been significantly bigger and fancier or smaller. This feels about the same size and the only substantial mechanical difference I can see is the IFS and traction control.

N8URE2 said:
does that back seat split 50/50 ? 60/40 ? not at all?

60/40 with the 40 on the passenger side.

trail-explorer said:
curious what your fuel mileage has been?

On tarmac, between 18 and 22 MPG. Three days off road mixed 2-high, 4-high & (mostly) 4-low was 16 MPG. This is from memory so don't quote me - I calculated the mileage every time I filled up but never wrote any of it down!

This is significantly worse than my 95 MPG Suzuki DR200. I'm going for a ride now to frivolously burn away several drops of gasoline while its still sunny outside... :bike_rider:

Cheers,
Graham

RedDog

Explorer
We've got a couple of the previous generation in the parking lot at the office - a Limited and one of those Renegades with the lights on the roof. The Limited is like a Lexus inside with beautiful heated leather seats. There's a guy in one of the clubs up here with a 2" lift and 31's who goes anywhere the TJ's and JK's go. He's blown me away on the trails with the Liberty's ability.

A huge selling feature for me is that marvelous opening roof available now on the new generation. Check that box and put a diesel back in it and I'd be tempted.

calamaridog

Expedition Leader
I haven't driven the newer model but parked side by side with mine I like it better. Slightly bigger and less ugly;)

Off road, these things suffer from minimal ground clearance, even with a lift you are hard pressed to mount larger tires. Not that you'd want much larger tires with the puny front diff and cv's.

phxtoad

Adventurer
I agree, in stock form ground clearance is horrid, but with a 2.5" lift and 245/75's you touch A LOT less stuff. Still, in any KJ you really need to pick your lines carefully. It's fun to have the rig that no one thinks can make it...

Side by side - modified '02 and stock '08

IMG_0765.jpg

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:archaeolo I just got the Wrangler unlimited Rubicon

The Xterra was a wonderful economic traveler to and from and a great off road vehicle, but

Nissan doesn't cover their warranty very well (info)

We can still sleep inside the JEEP, so not much sacrifice there

The aftermarket supply has opened up as compared to the Xterra

I didn't consider the LIBERTY and I just wanted a RUBICON, but my wife said " I'd kinda like a 4dr jeep" and you know what that means

life is give and take

:safari-rig: :safari-rig: JIMBO

kiwi_outdoors

our 2008 KK has a 2" lift kit front and rear (JBA kit, self installed) - it makes all the difference in the world to the underside of the vehicle not getting beat up, and not dragging on sand in deep sand two-track roads. Its a great car for "getting out there". We do not pursue "wheeling" per se, we just like back country destinations.IMG_2719 small.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94