Drive a Wrangler Sahara to Chile...

mauricio_28

Adventurer
How suitable would a Wrangler Sahara be for a trans-continental drive from the US to Chile? My concern is long-term, on-road performance...

mauricio_28

Adventurer
ok, they say that the answers are as good as the questions so let me be more explicit without incurring hurting any Jeep sensibilities:

A substantial part of the trip necessarily involves on-tarmac, asphalt driving. You know, it's a distance thing. Tierra del Fuego is not exactly around the corner. A Wrangler Sahara may be the bomb off-tarmac, but on-tarmac there may be other vehicles (e.g. Toyota FJ Cruiser, Nissan X-terra) that provide a much better on-road experience, that is, that provide a better combination of on- and off-road prowess.

That's where my question is coming from.

mauricio_28

Adventurer
One more thing. My query refers to the newest Wrangler, the 07 and 08 models. It does not pertain to the Unlimited model nor to pre-07 models.

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
Ok, this is all going to come down to personal preference. Over the years I have driven across country in a CJ7(w/MT's), TJ Rubicon, LJ Rubicon, Maxima, and Volvo V50. Yes, the two cars were more sound proof and got much better gas mileage. However, when I did it in my CJ7 I was alone so conversation was not necessary. The only thing I missed with the CJ7 was cruise control. From driving a CJ7 for years the TJ Rubicon felt like a car and the LJ rubicon even more car like. I would have absolutely no reservations about taking the LJ on a pure road trip to Napa instead of the Volvo. Even the wife thinks we should road trip in the LJ.

For your purpose the new JK platform is even more quiet and smoother on road. Plus, it is still capable off-road even if it is not the Rubicon Platform. To me the most important aspect is finding the vehicle that suits what you like and will need. Even thought the LJ is perfect for me and family, I know others find them loud and rough riding.

Good luck in your search,

Beowulf

TheGillz

Explorer
We have a new JK Unlimited 4 door and drove it from Boise Id to Guaymas, Sonora Mex for a week. 3000 miles round trip, as soon as we crossed the border we averaged 90 mph. The JK handles like any modern 4x4 should, with ease and very comfortable without being a sports car or cadillac obviously. I would have no reservations taking it as far as I could stand to drive, which in august may be another 4k miles on the alaska highway. Get one and enjoy! The offroad abilities go without saying.

mauricio_28

Adventurer
Yah, my query is about the 2-door JK, not the Unlimited. Obviously, the Unlimited is more firmly planted on the tarmac due to a longer wheelbase. For me, the Unlimited crosses a line beyond which the Toyota FJ Cruiser TRD or the Nissan X-terra Off-road begin to make more sense due to equal price coupled with stronger engines. For me, the 2-door JK makes sense primarily from a value perspective.

kodiak1232003

Adventurer
Beowulf said:
Ok, this is all going to come down to personal preference. Over the years I have driven across country in a CJ7(w/MT's), TJ Rubicon, LJ Rubicon, Maxima, and Volvo V50. Yes, the two cars were more sound proof and got much better gas mileage. However, when I did it in my CJ7 I was alone so conversation was not necessary. The only thing I missed with the CJ7 was cruise control. From driving a CJ7 for years the TJ Rubicon felt like a car and the LJ rubicon even more car like. I would have absolutely no reservations about taking the LJ on a pure road trip to Napa instead of the Volvo. Even the wife thinks we should road trip in the LJ.

For your purpose the new JK platform is even more quiet and smoother on road. Plus, it is still capable off-road even if it is not the Rubicon Platform. To me the most important aspect is finding the vehicle that suits what you like and will need. Even thought the LJ is perfect for me and family, I know others find them loud and rough riding.

Good luck in your search,

Beowulf

x2...our LJ has been up to ventura and back with no issues at all.

Considering a trip up to montana this summer, that will go over to washington/vancouver and back down. Its a VERY comfy ride on-road.

jeepboyd

Observer
have you driven the vehicle you want to take already? if so , how do YOU like it? have you driven the others? how many people are going with you? if it is more than 2 get the 4 door jk or one of the others.

haven

Expedition Leader
wrong way round

Jeep sells the Wrangler 2 and 4 door models in Chile with the 2.8L 4 Cyl. Turbo Diesel engine. Maybe you should fly to Chile, purchase the Jeep there, and drive north instead!

Chip Haven

TheGillz

Explorer
mauricio_28 said:
Yah, my query is about the 2-door JK, not the Unlimited. Obviously, the Unlimited is more firmly planted on the tarmac due to a longer wheelbase. For me, the Unlimited crosses a line beyond which the Toyota FJ Cruiser TRD or the Nissan X-terra Off-road begin to make more sense due to equal price coupled with stronger engines. For me, the 2-door JK makes sense primarily from a value perspective.

I'm not sure what you want in a vehicle but we test drove and researched the Unlimited, FJ, and X-terra for several months before buying and there is no way unless you would be buying a Rubicon that you will sniff the price of those two compared to the Jeep. For what we wanted the Toy and Nissan were at least 3k more and usually 4-5k. The Nissan has a surprisingly tight rear seat entry at the sactifice of some more cargo space, didn't like that with our two daughters at all. and the FJ has a much smaller cargo, and you can't see out of it to save your life (hopefully not literally). And you couldn't get one for less than 30k with any options.

Take my .02c for what its worth , but I did the exact same exhaustive vehicle search just last year, and wouldn't make a different one 6 months later. Last point, IIRC the two door is less than 2k cheaper than the 4door equally equiped.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles

Members online