Drinking the Toyota Kool Aid now

Uglyprimate

After a lifteime of eight Jeeps and not having an SUV for three years (third child forced the sale of the last two), I'm faced with this in my driveway.

A close friend was transferred to a job overseas. Needed to sell his car to someone who would wait until the last day before he got on an airplane. I'd expressed interest last year when the possibility came up but couldn't get the funding needed.

He called Thursday to see if I was still interested in having it. Said we could talk payments after I got there. Took whole family to say our goodbyes.

Gourmet lunch with gift certificates from his coworkers. Did they not realize he was leaving the country and couldn't go out to eat that much?

He said he'd pay for lunch if I got the tip.

$30 tip to the wait staff, it was VERY upscale for my herd.

Then he signed over the title to me.

Paid in full for $30.

Did I also mention the free motorcycle that's in pieces in the back?

Rattler

Thornton Melon's Kid
Sounds like a good deal. I will offer you $40 for it!:wings:j/k

Welcome to the darkside.

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
Having owned my fair share of Jeeps before I got my 4Runner, I personaly attest to how much better these things are made. Yeah you loose the SFA, but you can always put on under it latter if you really find you need one.

For $30 you litteraly got a steal of a deal. That rig has so much potential and aftermarket support it'll make your head spin. my first suggeation is an OME lift, some BJ spacers, PME T-bars and a set of 33x10.50's. Then it's just a matter of diffs and you're set to jet mate.

a.mus.ed

Explorer
I owned a 2nd gen myself and loved it. Do you have the auto or 5 spd? Everyone whines about the 3.0, but I never had any complaints.

grahamfitter

Expedition Leader
"My first post and I bought a great condition 4Runner for $30."

Really, that just isn't right. That is way worse than "My first post and I'm selling something."

But, really who am I to judge? I'm just one of several thousand really jealous people, Jeep drivers mostly, who don't normally troll the Toyota forums but are incensed with this brazen show of completely unashamed brazenness.

Welcome to ExPo, anyway.

Really! :sombrero:

Cheers,
Graham

Haggis

Appalachian Ridgerunner
Welcome to the ExPo! What a great friend you have there. Boy, do you owe him big time.:sombrero:

I too am a long time Jeep owner and yes I just recently bought my first Toyota, but still have a Jeep in the family. My Toyota is a fine vehicle but you can see....

100_1415a.jpg

...where my alliegiance is. So it's alright, you can like and own both a Toy and a Heep without causing a schism in your brain. And you don't have to drink the Kool-Aid to enjoy either.

wikid

Adventurer
After a lifteime of eight Jeeps and not having an SUV for three years (third child forced the sale of the last two), I'm faced with this in my driveway.

A close friend was transferred to a job overseas. Needed to sell his car to someone who would wait until the last day before he got on an airplane. I'd expressed interest last year when the possibility came up but couldn't get the funding needed.

He called Thursday to see if I was still interested in having it. Said we could talk payments after I got there. Took whole family to say our goodbyes.

Gourmet lunch with gift certificates from his coworkers. Did they not realize he was leaving the country and couldn't go out to eat that much?

He said he'd pay for lunch if I got the tip.

$30 tip to the wait staff, it was VERY upscale for my herd.

Then he signed over the title to me.

Paid in full for $30.

Did I also mention the free motorcycle that's in pieces in the back?
Welcome
You truly have a good friend. I'm sure his thought will be with you while you drive it.
I hesitate mentioning this, but I will anyway
The metaphor you used in your title just doesn't fit the very nice experience you went through. That phrase seems so negative. I have never been a fan of that phrase because if the manor in which it was conceived.

Good luck on your new acquisition and again welcome to ExPo

Thanks
Don

Rattler

Thornton Melon's Kid
My bro-in-law is here from VA. He just bought a new JK 4 dr. Well I received a new issue of Toyota 4WD Owner today and I think he got some drool on it!

slosurfer

Adventurer
DAng, that's a sweet deal!:wings:

I have a 2nd gen and love it. Mine's an auto so is quite slow with the 3.0, but it always gets me where I want to go and does great on the trails.

T.Low

Expedition Leader
Good things happen to good people. You must be good people.

Look forward to your assessment and comparison/contrast with your Jeep experience.

Uglyprimate

It's amazingly a tight vehicle for having so many miles.

Unlike my three Cherokees, this thing doesn't bump steer, doesn't rattle nearly enough and it holds a straight line.

Hard to judge it's offroad prowess in Indiana. Nearest dirt road is Colorado.

Two complaints.

Slow. I mean you get passed by an Amish buggy slow. Hitchhikers will offer you a push. I've seen the passenger side of a Prius.

You have to be a pygmy or drive with the seat leaned back ghetto to have any head room.

With the seat upright, I can look out the sunroof. Anyone ever lower the seat height?

T.Low

Expedition Leader
It's amazingly a tight vehicle for having so many miles.

Unlike my three Cherokees, this thing doesn't bump steer, doesn't rattle nearly enough and it holds a straight line.

Hard to judge it's offroad prowess in Indiana. Nearest dirt road is Colorado.

Two complaints.

Slow. I mean you get passed by an Amish buggy slow. Hitchhikers will offer you a push. I've seen the passenger side of a Prius.

You have to be a pygmy or drive with the seat leaned back ghetto to have any head room.

With the seat upright, I can look out the sunroof. Anyone ever lower the seat height?

:jump: Where did you come up with those? Are they common Hoosierisms?

Funny you should say that about the seat too, though. That was one of my big problems with my Tacoma (that and both leaf packs breaking in half at 37k miles). They are so tiny inside.

If that can work for you, and you get past the tiny, chinsy little doors and stuff, that will be a great wagon for you. They run like a swiss watch. I drove mine like a cop car and it always wanted more.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles