Drinking the Toyota Kool Aid now

Rattler

Thornton Melon's Kid
Hmm. You guys need to drive a WRX for a while. Then ride in a Miata several times! I am '6"5 and I think I have plenty of room in my DoubleCab. I previsouly owned an '89 XtraCab and a '91 4Runner. Those were a little smaller and I definitely had to stay a little further back at the stoplights but far from uncomfortable. More room than I remember my buddy's JGC having on the passenger side for sure! My knees were in the dash.

Both my older Toys had 22RE/5spd combos so I know about having to make appointemtns to pass. I think I got passed by an elderly lady walking her pug once.:wings:

Those older ones like to eat idler arms too. Elripster on here really knows what the setup is to go to with stock parts from other years.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
I think I see a V6 badge on it which means the infamous "3 point slow." :D I think that motor is notorious for eating head gaskets, might be something worth checking out. Is it a 5 speed or an auto?

Still for $30 that's a great deal. You could throw in a rebuilt engine and still be way ahead of the game.

rdb4Runner

Observer
That purchase price leaves enough money for a SFA AND a diesel swap**********************************************************....and fridge, and drawers, and lift, and tires:victory:

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
I think that motor is notorious for eating head gaskets, might be something worth checking out.
This 4Runner is a later year, at least 1992 or newer (flush headlights). It might not have the issue, there are certain years that had more problems than others. But all the 3.0L V6 engines were covered under a recall and were eligible for replacement headgaskets and/or top end work. Have a dealer run the VIN and it will be listed as having the job done or not. The main point is that if it's made it 15+ years and whatever miles on the original headgaskets, then no need to worry really. If not, then it's been fixed already. In either case, completely rebuilding a 3.0L can be done pretty reasonably for $1500, refreshing just the heads and new HGs about half that or the 3.4L swap is much easier to do starting with a 3.0L.

Uglyprimate

It's a '92, automatic with 229k miles.

Seems to lose a little oil, but can't find any leak and no smoke. It came with a full brand new gallon of oil with instructions to check it at least every two weeks. No oil in the radiator, so I assume the head gaskets are still intact.

Reportedly it's had the tranny rebuilt and originated in Texas, so the body is rust free. There's a small glitch at highway speeds where the engine will jump 100rpm and the tranny seems to just briefly float. It'll do it three or four times and then stop. Only when it's hot. Maybe a piece of gasket came loose inside after the rebuild?

With two other car payments and four bikes, the wife is pretty chinced out about spending any cash on this thing yet. I gotta measure my old Jeep roof rack to see if it will fit without looking retarded.

Wife already vetoed a Zebra paint scheme. Something about living nice with your neighbors or some crap.

I did manage to outdrag a Hyundai today at a stoplight, but then I realized he was just pulling far forward enough to make a left turn.

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
It's a '92, automatic ...
there's the answer to your slow problem... the 3.0 + Auto (or 22RE and an auto) is the slowest combo out there. The 5spd makes a TON of difference. Still for 430 as others have said, a 3.4 swap should be seriously considered along with an R-series manual tranny.

This Kool-aid is tasting better by the minute eh.

This is SUCH a great deal you got on this truck and it really trully will make you apreciate how well built Toyotas (older ones anyway) are. Just get under there and marvel at that FRAME!!!! She's HUGE compared to anything this size and weight...

Now get going and build her up ;) j/k mate, I know it's a slow process eh...

Cheers

Dave

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles