Drifta Drawer Style Build (Toyota Prado 120/ Lexus GX470)

GXWagon

Adventurer
Welcome to the Idiots Guide to the Drifta Drawer DIY Build:smiley_drive:
...Under $300

2017-05-02 13.28.29_zpsqnwhe4ud.JPG
2017-05-02 13.30.13_zpsm3dvr21s.JPG

I'm gonna call these Thrifta Drawers. 90lbs of amazing.

I found out I wasn't able to get Drifta Drawers shipped to the USA so I will be building my own. I will be doing my best to get as close as possible to the drifta style, including the slide out table and using HDPE for the slides. Here is where I will detail my adventure. My goal is to make this easy for anyone to build these. I am not a professional carpenter by any stretch of the imagination. You will see my successes and mistakes. Feel free to send me feedback or hate mail along the way. :ylsmoke:

Here we go,

Supplies You will Need
3 - 4'x8' sheets of 1/2 Ply (Sanded Ply) ($130 price includes cut to custom sizes)
1 - sheet of 1/4 Ply (Sanded Ply)
Wood Glue - ($5.37)
Screws - ($4.14)
Sand Paper ($5)
Black Stain ($5)
Clear Lacquer ($5)
Foam Brush ($1 a piece)
8 x 1/8" thick HDPE (For the sliders) - ($26.21 price includes cut to custom sizes)
Trunk Liner Carpet (I got mine for $6 per yard and used 6 yards)
Automotive Spray Glue for Carpet ($5)
2 x Locking Paddle Latches - ($8 each on ebay)
Folding Table Legs
Ball Beraing Latch for Table ($2)
Spring Loaded Sea Dog Flush Pull Tie Downs ($15 for pack of 10)

Tools You will Need
Measuring Tape
Drill
Drill Bit
Countersink Drill Bit
Pen or Pencil
Chisel
Chalk Line (Nice to have but not necessary)
Orbital Sander (Nice to have but not necessary)
Chop/Mitre Saw (Only if you want to make the pull-out table)

Step 1:
Measure the H x W x D you would like your drawers to be. I will be building mine 12"H x 42"W x 37"D
The interior of the left drawer slot will measure 11"H x 20 1/4"W x 37"D
The exterior measurement of the left drawer will be 10 3/4"H x 20 1/8"W x 37"D
I account for 1/4" on the bottom of the drawer for 2x 1/8" pieces of HDPE.
I account for 1/8" on the width to leave 1/16" on each side of the drawer.

Step 2:
Lay out the blueprint of all the pieces you will need to get cut from 1/2" ply. 1/2" ply is what drifta uses for the shell and drawers.
As you can see I have laid out all of my pieces and set them into 4' x 8' panels so I can make the best use of the wood, I will need to purchase and cut. You can see I need three pieces of 1/2" ply
You will also need a piece of 1/4" ply for the compartment that the pullout table will snuggle into. You can buy the smaller pieces that Home Depot sells.
(IGNORE the 30"x36" labelled "house shelf" I am putting shelves in a closet in my house and figured I would get them cut at the same time.)
DriftaBluePrint_zpsa8igrwhx.JPG

Step 3:
Bring Blueprint to Home Depot or another hardware store of choice. I will be making this as easy as possible for myself and you by bringing my blueprint to Home Depot and having the saw guy do all the cuts for me right there in the store. :ylsmoke:
You can have Home Depot cut everything with the exception of the frame around the table. These need a chop saw or mitre saw to cut 45 degree angles.
It cost me $12 for him to make all the cuts. To me, that is well worth it. I know they are perfect and I don't have to worry about clean up etc.
You will also need some wood glue and screws. I used 1x6 screws and will be drilling pilot holes, so we don't crack the lumber.
2017-02-08 18.37.44_zpsrjatiz5x.JPG

Step 4:
Get all your materials together
Wood Glue
Drill
Drill bit (just smaller than the screws you will use)
Counter sink drill bit
Screws (I used 1x6)

Step 5:
Let's Begin Construction of the carcas.
Start with the bottom, then add your side middle and rear panels. You will save the top panel and table shelf for last as you will need to lacquer the inside and glue your HDPE slides first. Measure and mark where you are going to put your screws. In my case its right in the middle of the 1/2 ply, so I measured 1/4 and made my mark every 6" - 8". Drill your pilot holes then glue and screw.
As you can see I used pieces of 2x4(found free in Home Depots scrap bin) to easily (No special equipment required) help me hold the boards in place while I, glue and screw. Glue and screw. Repeat this mantra to yourself.
We will not assemble the top of the carcass at this step. We will save that for last to make it easy for us once we get to the stain and lacquer step.
2017-02-10 13.05.11_zpskqgogzsm.JPG
2017-02-10 13.58.15_zpsvetsfe4c.JPG

Step 6:
Now we want to put the drawers together.
You are going to drill your pilot holes as well as a counter sink hole if you want. I did.
Lay a bit of wood glue on your pieces then drill them together. Glue and Screw.
In this step, I won't be putting on the face of the drawer yet as I am still waiting on my paddle handles to come in the mail.

Step 7:
Prep for Staining.
Now we just need to fill the screw holes with some wood filler and let it dry.
I find it easier to have some wet paper towel and a glass of water on standby to help me with the application of the wood filler. Wood filler is easier to apply with a wet finger.

After the wood filler is dry, we will do our first sanding. I will be using 220 grit sand paper. I will sand all the holes where I applied the wood filler. I will also be sanding the outside of the drawers to give it a smooth feel as well as the interior of the carcas.You can sand by hand or use and electric sander.
This is our preparation for applying the first coat of stain.

Step 8:
Now it's time to apply our stain. I purchased a stain and lacquer all in one. Since this is just going on the inside of the box and outside of the drawers, there is no need for the perfect look you could get with doing the stain and lacquer separate. This is easy, and it still looks great for our needs. Use a foam brush and wipe the stain on with the grain. Make sure not to lay it on too thick, or it will drip, and you will have to do a lot of sanding later to fix that. Let it dry for 5-8 hours.
2017-02-11 12.00.19_zpszxng8uzc.JPG

Step 9:
Sand again. The first coat of stain has a tendency to lift the grain, so you will want to get out your 220 grit sandpaper and give it a nice light sand.
After you sand it, wipe it down with a tack cloth.

Step 10:
Give it a 2nd coat of stain. Again keep it light so it doesn't drip. Let dry for 5-8 hours

Step 11:
Here you can apply a 3rd coat or move on to preparing and attaching the Teflon sliders. Just like drifta sliders, these are not made of Teflon. They are made of HDPE plastic. Sometimes called puck board. I found a local plastic shop that was able to cut custom size strips of 1/8" thick HDPE for me. I had them cut it into 1" wide by 30" long. This is very close to the drifta specs. The 1/8" thick is the most important spec. For the HDPE and the cuts it only cost me $25.

After I gathered my sliders, I now needed to make counter sunk holes into them so I can screw them to the bottom the carcas and drawers. You will not be able to use glue. Glue does not stick to HDPE(It's a good thing). I used my counter sink drill bit then I used a small chisel to scrape out the melted ring around the outside edge to it was completely flat. I found if you went slow with the drill bit it would not melt the plastic, but it was just way to slow for me and scraping out the melted ring worked just fine.
2017-02-12 10.39.26_zpse9owa7ih.JPG

Step 12:
Attach the HDPE sliders to the bottom of the drawers and the bottom of the carcas using 6 x 1/2" screws. I used a 2" wide piece of wood to help guide me where to put the sliders.
2017-02-11 21.02.38_zpszwharigv.JPG

Step 13:
The next step is to install your slide out table shelf. If you are not putting in a slide out table you can skip this step.
I cut two pieces of wood the exact height that I needed the shelf to sit at and placed them under the shelf so I could install it easy without it flopping around on me. After I had installed the shelf, I removed them. I drilled pilot holes and used small screws to secure the shelf into place.
2017-02-17 19.54.40_zps2ra4cnae.JPG

Scroll down to post #4 to continue....

Last edited:

C-Fish

Adventurer
Be very careful when you have the Home Depot "guy" cut the material....they're not setup for precision cuts at all...most, if not all of their panel saws are not true. The blade they use is for rough cuts and will splinter your drawer material pretty bad.....

If it were me, I'd have them cut the material oversized and then finish myself with the proper blade, or use this as an excuse to buy myself a decent table saw :coffeedrink:

Oh, and I'd use Baltic Birch for the plywood. Much better than standard ACX....

GXWagon

Adventurer
Be very careful when you have the Home Depot "guy" cut the material....they're not setup for precision cuts at all...most, if not all of their panel saws are not true. The blade they use is for rough cuts and will splinter your drawer material pretty bad.....

If it were me, I'd have them cut the material oversized and then finish myself with the proper blade, or use this as an excuse to buy myself a decent table saw :coffeedrink:

Oh, and I'd use Baltic Birch for the plywood. Much better than standard ACX....

Thanks for the feedback. For this particular build I am doing this so that anyone man, woman or child can build these things. I want to make it stupid simple(KISS). Running a table saw is not a viable option for many. My local Home Depot has always made precision cuts perfect. So far, knock on wood, I have never had a bad cut. The great thing about Home Depot is, if they screw it up they will replace it and more at no cost. If you screw it up at home, you're on your own.

I got all the cuts done and ready for me in less than 15min. I can't say I could do it that fast on my own. I measured everything, and it's all in order. Success!!! .... so far

So I will continue the build here since I am limited in how many photos I can put in a post. Maybe the admin could lift the rules for a quality build, so it stays organised at the top. Until then....

Step 14:
Cut the holes for your drawer handles. I used paddle handles. I measured the hole size I needed. Drilled two pilot holes and used a jigsaw to cut the hole out of the drawer face. You can see in the pictures I did a bit of carpeting first, but it will be easier if you do this first before the carpet, so you don't have to vacuum sawdust out of your freshly carpeted drawer. Wait to install the handles until everything has been carpeted. The handles will be the last things to go on.
2017-02-17 17.43.40_zpsqfpywi4t.JPG
2017-02-17 17.51.25_zpstggrjww5.JPG

Step 15:
Begin laying down your trunk liner (Boot liner). I used automotive adhesive in both spray version and brush on. I used the brush on for the detail work and the spray can for the large areas. I started with the drawers and worked my way out. You are going to want to glue down the liner then wait 5-10 min for it to dry and then cut all the extra off with a very sharp blade. I used a box cutter and had a few new blades on hand. You want to make sure you are always using a very sharp blade as that is what is going to give you that nice clean cut. It makes a huge difference.
2017-02-17 17.15.00_zpsozq7foqg.JPG

Step 16
Install handels.
Once you get your drawers all nicely carpeted, go ahead and install those handles.
Depending on the type of handles you get. You and use screws, bolts, rivets or glue.
I used PL 5x strength construction adhesive to give me that clean look. This glue should never come undone its insanely strong.

Step 17
Begin building your table. If you don't want a bad *** slide out table, skip this and the next step.

Building the table
I used 1/2" sanded ply for both the frame and table. Drifta uses laminate, but I prefer the look of wood, so that's what I am doing.
I measure the width and length to leave just enough space at the back for the spring loaded ball bearing latch (Same as drifta uses) this keeps the table from sliding out by itself.
Home Depot cut my table wood, and I used a friend's chop saw to cut the wood for the frame. You need 45-degree angle cuts, and unfortunately, my Home Depot does not have that capability.
I used a combination of both screws and wood glue to hold everything together. Glue and Screw.
I cut out the pull handle on one side with my jig saw/ hacksaw.
Fill all your screw holes with wood filler and then sand the crap out of everything. Start with a low grit and move up.

Finishing the table
After you sand, go ahead and apply your stain.
I stained the main part of the table with a one coat great stain. I only used a little bit, so I returned the rest to home depot for a full refund. Shhhhhhh don't tell anyone.
The edges I stain with the black lacquer, same as Drifta. I used some painters table to give me a clean edge. Which ended up being a bit of a fail as the stain leaked under in some places. Next time I would just hand paint the clean line and take it slow.
After everything is stained, I applied two coats of a satin clear coat for that extra protection and then buffed with 0000 steel wool.
2017-02-22 13.01.29_zpsuxcnudae.JPG

Hardware
Now go ahead and screw on your ball bearing latch. I put the ball bearing side on the table (Same as Drifta) My guess as to why they do this is that the ball bearing may get dirt and dust in them and it would be much easier to clean or repair if it's attached to the table vs. way in the back of the drawer.
2017-03-01 07.45.31_zpsvxs6yesw.JPG

Hopefulling everything fits.

Step 18
Install your brass catches for the paddle handle locks. I got these brass catches at home depot for under a buck each.
2017-03-02 08.35.59_zpswwahpknm.JPG

Step 19
Install Sea-Dog Spring Loaded Flush Ring Pull.
I got 10 of these for $15 on eBay. Awesome!!!
These are the same things Drifta uses on the top of their drawers as tie down points for fridges etc. Since I have so many, I am going to install 8 of them. Four over the left drawer for the fridge and four over the right drawer for whatever other cool crap I can smush in there. Maybe I'll just strap my girlfriend in there when she misbehaves. :smiley_drive: <<< Me driving, enjoying the silence
2017-03-01 07.50.33_zpsbhxjwpl0.JPG

First, you will have to chisel or router out holes that match your pull rings. Make sure they all fit. Before you decide to screw them in you will need to lay your last bit of carpet on the lid
2017-03-03 22.37.14_zpskk5urbnx.JPG
2017-03-03 22.37.25_zpslirqoqlf.JPG

Step 20
This is basically the last step outside of installation and creation of the side wings.
Here you are going to lay your last bit of carpet, screw in your pull rings, and screw your lid on. I made my lid a separate piece and installed it after the carpet, so if for ever reason I neede to get at the box from the inside I could easily just unscrew the lid and service it.

Here she is in all her glory:
2017-03-05 10.55.31_zpsy2cj4xih.JPG

Last edited:

shoredreamer

Observer
Look forward to following you. I'm pretty much in the same boat and told myself since I couldn't get a Drifta setup I'd give it a shot at doing it myself. No slides, no fancy bits. Hoping to buy supplies in a week or so.

Did you buy everything from Home Depot? What's your final layout gonna be? Side by side drawers? Slide out kitchen box?

I'm looking to have two vertical drawers on the right side and fridge boxed in on the left, on the floor. Kind of like in the attachment here, minus all the drawer slides
IMG_3386.jpg
Good luck!

GXWagon

Adventurer
Look forward to following you. I'm pretty much in the same boat and told myself since I couldn't get a Drifta setup I'd give it a shot at doing it myself. No slides, no fancy bits. Hoping to buy supplies in a week or so.

Did you buy everything from Home Depot? What's your final layout gonna be? Side by side drawers? Slide out kitchen box?

I'm looking to have two vertical drawers on the right side and fridge boxed in on the left, on the floor. Kind of like in the attachment here, minus all the drawer slides
View attachment 385976
Good luck!

Cool man, keep me up to date with how yours goes.

This is what my result should look like. I am doing the two drawers with the pull-out table on the right. I will also add tie down points to the top of the left drawer. That is where I will add my fridge. My truck is a daily driver. The fridge will come in and out of mine so don't want to waste good drawer space by putting it there. Plus I like the clean look of the two drawers side by side. I measured mine so that it is equal height to my rear seats when they fold down so if I ever need to sleep in the back the option is there.
2017-05-02 13.30.13_zpsm3dvr21s (1).JPG

Last edited:

SnoViking

Adventurer
I built a similar setup for my GX460. I still have to tidy mine up a bit and fit the side wings. I'm waiting until I get my water tank fitted and hose/spigot run to determine what I need where.

Are you putting your fridge on the drivers side of passengers?

SnoViking

Adventurer
Thats what I was thinking also. I figured that because the back seats are 40/20/40 if needed I could put two kids on the drivers side and still fold down the passenger side 40%. You cant fold down only the drivers side 40 (has to be the 40 AND middle 20). Plus I figured I wouldn't have to completely open the rear door to access the fridge on the slider.

GXWagon

Adventurer
Thats what I was thinking also. I figured that because the back seats are 40/20/40 if needed I could put two kids on the drivers side and still fold down the passenger side 40%. You cant fold down only the drivers side 40 (has to be the 40 AND middle 20). Plus I figured I wouldn't have to completely open the rear door to access the fridge on the slider.

That makes sense.

GXWagon

Adventurer

Hey Patrick,

How did you bolt your drawers down to the inside of your GX?

SnoViking

Adventurer
I pulled out the 3rd row seats and used the threaded holes from them which go right into the body. There were 4 main bolts. I used button heads and recessed them into the plywood base with a Forsner bit.

If you pull up the carpet you'll probably see a few threaded holes already there.

GXWagon

Adventurer
I pulled out the 3rd row seats and used the threaded holes from them which go right into the body. There were 4 main bolts. I used button heads and recessed them into the plywood base with a Forsner bit.

If you pull up the carpet you'll probably see a few threaded holes already there.

Okay. Nice. I like it.

762X39

Explorer
We use Home Depot to cut plywood sheets to size about 30 times a year. Not once have I taken plywood to the jobsite (or home ) that wasn't spot on. I have to guess that they have some pretty unskilled workers at your local HD. Nice job on the drawers.:coffee:

GXWagon

Adventurer
We use Home Depot to cut plywood sheets to size about 30 times a year. Not once have I taken plywood to the jobsite (or home ) that wasn't spot on. I have to guess that they have some pretty unskilled workers at your local HD. Nice job on the drawers.:coffee:

Ha Ha. I couldn't agree more. My home depot always gets it right. But while I was making these drawers I had to go and get something cut. The Home Depot guy messes it up. Right away he walked over, grabbed a brand new piece of ply and got the cut correct. Of course I wasn't charged for the extra ply or the cuts. If I had made that mistake at home it would have been on my dime. So its really a win win situation no matter how you cut the cake. Especially if Home Depot is doing the cutting :wings:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles