Drawer wings

60Dan

Explorer
What method are you guys using to draw out the wing portion when making drawers?

Thanks

60Dan

Explorer
I figured that lol!
Just wondering if there was an accurate way to get all the curves and grooves matched up. I layed a piece of cardboard down, took a pencil on a piece of string and tried tracing the curves to match but it didn't work out that well.

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
Tool called a compass. Not the one for navigating, the one with a pencil on one side and a pointy thing on the other side.

Matt.H

Adventurer
Compass or dividers as dwh says.
The tool is superior to the string in as it does not vary like the string method.

Make sure that the board, carpet or cardboard that you are scribing onto is at the same height/plane/level/elevation as where you intend for it to end up. Using cardboard is a big help here.

Don't be aggressive and maintain the compass as the same perpendicular angle throughout the tracing. If the angle changes start that area over. It can take a couple of tries but all things come with practice.

Stay square/perpendicular and have the wing at the plane where it will end up. It will fit rather quickly.

Good luck.

MagicMtnDan

2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition & 2021 F350 6.7L
For those who might not understand how to use a compass to scribe a profile here's a picture.

FH02NOV_SCRIBI_01.JPG

Note that the best kind of compass to use is one that has a screw to adjust/set the gap it so it doesn't slide while you're using it and screw up the scribe line. This is the type of compass you'd want to use:

067014.jpg

rayra

Expedition Leader
You can also use a stick with a pencil duct-taped to it, as a scribing tool. Butt the wood or material you are using for a template up against the irregular surface, set your scribing tool to bridge the widest gap alongside your material, then move the scribe tool along the surface you are trying to match, writing on the template material.

I used a compass to transfer the curve at the rear of my roof rack, when building my deck. I tried a paper template first but wasn't happy with my results.

roofrack52_zpsuhptawqv.jpg

Crikeymike

Adventurer
Get some firm wire, like craft wire or something, and you can bend it to the shape you want (the profile), then lay it down on the material and trace it out. That way you're not pushing something up to the edge to try to trace it.

The compass trick looks easy too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94