Drawer Slide Recomendation

Chipps

I am building a slide out drawer for my Dometic 75DZ fridge. It is 65lbs, I think, dry.
What brand slides are people using? I tried the over the counter ones at Home Depot, fell apart first trip. (Only rated for 100lbs)

I would prefer that they lock, so that I don't have to integrate that later.

Thanks for any direction!

JackW

Explorer
I am building a slide out drawer for my Dometic 75DZ fridge. It is 65lbs, I think, dry.
What brand slides are people using? I tried the over the counter ones at Home Depot, fell apart first trip. (Only rated for 100lbs)

I would prefer that they lock, so that I don't have to integrate that later.

Thanks for any direction!
Look at McMaster Carr, that's where I got the locking slides for my fridge.

Chipps

Accuride. Years in, no issues. Not sure of the series, maybe 9300?

I like the 9308E slides, but can't figure out if you order per slide or pair? Usually slides are pair but the site looks like its per slide. $126 would be alot.
Do you remember how you ordered yours?

PackerBadger

I like the 9308E slides, but can't figure out if you order per slide or pair? Usually slides are pair but the site looks like its per slide. $126 would be alot.
Do you remember how you ordered yours?

I am wondering the same thing.

NatersXJ6

Explorer
When I bought mine, they were per pair. I bought a pair of locking and a pair of open and then used one of each, selling the other pair here. It was at least 5 years ago, maybe more, so I don’t recall the source.

looking currently at the Accuride website, 9308-E5 is a pair with 1 locking and 1 non at $259.07 for 30” length. This is in line with what I paid for the ones I used in the back of my JK, and I’ve been very happy with them. I don’t believe the mixed pairs were available when I bought, although they might have been and I didn’t find them.

Initially I tried to save money and buy only non-locking… it was a failure! They roll REALLY easily, and would move with every acceleration and deceleration!

Chipps

@NatersXJ6, thank you very much for the feed back. What length and how much for your other set?
@PackerBadger. I finally got a hold of Accuride, the price is per slide! They did suggest to buy one locking and one not, the kit mentioned above (about $180 for 20in).

I decided to go with Fulterer slides, little cheaper and also heard good things. Also they seem a little shorter. I went with both locking, not as easy to open, but will hold up better. We are sliding the fridge out long/wide ways rather than the usual narrow way.

@JackW thanks. I looked at McMaster (can't believe didnt think of them) most were only rated to 100lbs, I need more than that.

XPLRMOR

@NatersXJ6, thank you very much for the feed back. What length and how much for your other set?
@PackerBadger. I finally got a hold of Accuride, the price is per slide! They did suggest to buy one locking and one not, the kit mentioned above (about $180 for 20in).

I decided to go with Fulterer slides, little cheaper and also heard good things. Also they seem a little shorter. I went with both locking, not as easy to open, but will hold up better. We are sliding the fridge out long/wide ways rather than the usual narrow way.

@JackW thanks. I looked at McMaster (can't believe didnt think of them) most were only rated to 100lbs, I need more than that.
I went with Fulterer locking slides also. this site seamed to have the best price and had excellent phone support when I called with a question. Heavy Duty Fulterer Drawer Slide 450 lb Capacity Locking Side Mount Full-Extension Ball Bearing Zinc Plated Sold As Pair FR5400.L Series (westlunddistributing.com)

JMacs

Observer
Strongly recommend one locking and one not. Trying to hold down both lock releases and pull the slide doesn't work. Trust me.

Have a set of 5' Accurides in the back of my truck for almost 4 years now. Have an ARB 50qt bolted on the end. No issues. Still work well.

Kind of a high-jack of the thread. I am planning a chuck-box with drawers. Instead of locking slides, or some sort of latch, I am considering using soft close slides. I think the soft close mechanism will hold them shut while I drive around (no rock crawling). Drawers will be around 14" deep, 24" wide. Holding forks, knives, spices, ... Nothing very heavy. Anybody used these instead of latches?

NatersXJ6

Explorer
I have not used them in a vehicle, but I have built a few cabinets and furniture. Thinking about the size of the springs in most soft closures, and the assumption that drawers will open to the rear of vehicle, I suspect that the hundreds to thousands of acceleration cycles a vehicle sees will overwhelm the closure mechanisms. If I was going to use them, I would consider an auxiliary latch such as a strap, bungee, or locking bar in addition to the closers.

motovan_mn

Kind of a high-jack of the thread. I am planning a chuck-box with drawers. Instead of locking slides, or some sort of latch, I am considering using soft close slides. I think the soft close mechanism will hold them shut while I drive around (no rock crawling). Drawers will be around 14" deep, 24" wide. Holding forks, knives, spices, ... Nothing very heavy. Anybody used these instead of latches?

On the Ford Transit forums it's generally agreed that soft close drawer slides don't work very well for vehicle applications. No personal experience myself, just relaying the knowledge.

JMacs

Observer
On the Ford Transit forums it's generally agreed that soft close drawer slides don't work very well for vehicle applications. No personal experience myself, just relaying the knowledge.
Thanks for the info. I got the idea from a van build I read about a while ago. Makes some sense in concept. Apparently it doesn't quite translate to the real world well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles