DRAM 2, Dirt Roads Across Maine.

spencyg

This Space For Rent
Spencyg, this is an awesome write-up of an awesome trip! is this route fairly easy to map? If so, what maps would you recommend? my wife and I are planning a trip to the Canadian east coast next summer and I would love to run at least some sections of the DRAM.

The DRAM route continues to be dynamic. There are portions of the trip that I wouldn't feel comfortable directing other people to follow for various reasons. I can provide "off the record" consultation as to whether particular roads or routes are viable if you wanted to send along a list of suggested paths. DRAM is an ongoing project, and until I have a viable route from beginning to end, I won't be passing along the "recipe" publicly. All the tools I have used to develop DRAM to this point are open source, and given the report here, there are enough clues to probably lock down 75% of the path we took. Needless to say, much of this trip could be accomplished with a stock AWD platform. There are a few spots however that push even the most modified 4WD vehicles and would destroy anything with less than 12" of ground clearance and full time 4WD capabilities. A trailer in tow would have been a serious problem in spots as well.

SG

Last edited:

TripLeader

Explorer
This really is a great adventure plan. Unknown road conditions, possibilities of locked gates, trying to reach a goal.
_____
The trip report is top-notch. I know what my personal experiences are when trying to photograph an event you are involved in, not to mention in snowy weather.

Camelfilter

Explorer
Outstanding trip report of an awesome time, thanks!!

...&...Not to detract from the report at all, but I just heard breaking news on the radio here at work: Bruce Jenner crashed during an offroad event over the weekend, the DJ's were not sure if he was wearing his signature red nail polish or not...

matthewp

Combat Truck Monkey
The DRAM route continues to be dynamic. There are portions of the trip that I wouldn't feel comfortable directing other people to follow for various reasons. I can provide "off the record" consultation as to whether particular roads or routes are viable if you wanted to send along a list of suggested paths. DRAM is an ongoing project, and until I have a viable route from beginning to end, I won't be passing along the "recipe" publicly. All the tools I have used to develop DRAM to this point are open source, and given the report here, there are enough clues to probably lock down 75% of the path we took. Needless to say, much of this trip could be accomplished with a stock AWD platform. There are a few spots however that push even the most modified 4WD vehicles and would destroy anything with less than 12" of ground clearance and full time 4WD capabilities. A trailer in tow would have been a serious problem in spots as well.

SG

Awesome work you're doing. Thanks for the reply, and I fully understand where you're coming from. I appreciate your candid response about the viability of the route.

I don't intend to reply for Spence, but there's quite a bit happening in the Northeast in late June. Last year Northeast overland did their Moose on the Loose ride in the NMW in late june (billed as an annual event). Also I think ExploringNH is doing their TransNH ride this June.

Steve

Thanks for that info. I will also look into those opportunities.

spencyg

This Space For Rent
Outstanding trip report of an awesome time, thanks!!

...&...Not to detract from the report at all, but I just heard breaking news on the radio here at work: Bruce Jenner crashed during an offroad event over the weekend, the DJ's were not sure if he was wearing his signature red nail polish or not...

DAMN YOU BRUCE JENNER!!!!!!

LOL!

Camelfilter

Explorer
Awesome work you're doing. Thanks for the reply, and I fully understand where you're coming from. I appreciate your candid response about the viability of the route.

Thanks for that info. I will also look into those opportunities.

Yeah Exploring NH has a ride late June. See the Northeast section, or I think u can link from his signiture. Great guy & the ride looks like a lot of fun. I'm still not sure if I've the time off yet, but if I do have the time, and there's space avail I'll be going. I think that ride is limited to 5/6 trucks or something.

The Moose on the loose looks like a lot of fun as well, but not sure when they're going.

I'd definitely be in for a DRAM3, as I had a great time driving 2. I'd also be up for helping scout out end routes over a weekend once roads/trails permit low impact driving.

03rubicon

Adventurer
Yeah Exploring NH has a ride late June. See the Northeast section, or I think u can link from his signiture. Great guy & the ride looks like a lot of fun. I'm still not sure if I've the time off yet, but if I do have the time, and there's space avail I'll be going. I think that ride is limited to 5/6 trucks or something.

The Moose on the loose looks like a lot of fun as well, but not sure when they're going.

I'd definitely be in for a DRAM3, as I had a great time driving 2. I'd also be up for helping scout out end routes over a weekend once roads/trails permit low impact driving.

MOOSE ON THE LOOSE is still on. Stay tuned soon for more details

03rubicon

Adventurer
Spence, any idea if it was a warden or an actual police officer or a specialized unit (Native American land has their own warden services) that made contact with you?

spencyg

This Space For Rent
Spence, any idea if it was a warden or an actual police officer or a specialized unit (Native American land has their own warden services) that made contact with you?

He was definitely part of the Tribal Law Enforcement community. I believe he was their equivalent to a Warden since his primary goal while out where were "met up" was controlling hunting activities. It cannot be overstated that our interaction with him was civil and courteous on both sides. There was no raised voices or high blood pressure (at least, not on the surface...mine may have been a bit elevated ;) ), and in the end I certainly learned something, and I think he felt like he had interacted with some responsible and professional off-pavement travel enthusiasts. In all, it couldn't have gone better.

SG

spencyg

This Space For Rent
Fantastic! I have yet to put mine on yet....might have to wait until spring since its 20 degrees and blowing hard out ;)

SG

Ripper

Adventurer
I haven't placed mine yet either.

In other news the X heads to the shop on Monday to get fixed. New ring, pinion, carrier, and spider gears. New front diff with correct ratio to match the rear goes in the week after.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles