Draft of electric layout

Bbasso

Expedition Leader
There's no details...
Sizes, ratings, frequency of usage and such are missing.
13,500 A/ C powered by?

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
The "smart battery charger" is a mythical beast. I'm not aware of any that can accept input from AC, DC and solar.

More likely you'll need three different things - an AC powered shore charger, a solar charge controller and something to get alternator power to the house battery.

ELECTRIC LAYOUT 2.jpg

Updated with multiple chargers. Hopefully this picture is more clear. It automatically resized the first one on upload.

Regarding the specifics on each component, that is were I need recommendations. I am first trying to see if the general layout makes sense so I can then start to spec the individual components based on the load requirements shown.

Lets assume frequency of use will be worst case (everything on all the time) and then I can work back from there. AC would be powered by shore power or generator. Not expecting to power that for long / if at all from the batteries.

Bbasso

Expedition Leader
Everything on at the same time? Might as well get a 5k generator, 6 outlet surge strip and an extention cord.
Simple and effective.

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
Yea, that's the basic layout. You'll want to rig it so the 120v shore charger cannot run from the inverter or you'll have a loop.

Thanks for putting up with the one line drawing here, I am trying to get the basic concept together before addressing polarity, fuses etc

So should I still have the generator and shore power supply the same panel that the inverter supplies or do these need to be different panels?

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
Just because someone has to say it ...

Do check the charging voltage of your Sprinter before you invest in a B2B; depending on the battery you are using and the voltage you measure, you may be better off with a relay based system.

(And do report the voltage you measure, some of us who don't own Sprinters are insanely curious about this.)

I am open to a relay or dc to dc charging system. Would be nice if I could start from the house batteries if needed, or charge both house and starting with solar if needed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles